CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Track App and IPhone Cradle/holder (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4251693-track-app-and-iphone-cradle-holder.html)

Jbeautexas 03-14-2019 10:09 AM

Track App and IPhone Cradle/holder

Looking for suggestions for the best track app and gadget to hold my phone in place.

Thanks!

jaredtxrx 03-14-2019 10:43 AM

If you have an iPhone, Harry's Lap Timer and a Ram Mount.

Jbeautexas 03-14-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx (Post 1599043041)

Thanks

FAUEE 03-14-2019 06:21 PM

My tip is, unless you're fast and skilled enough be doing time trials or something where predictive lap times matter... don't bother. Focus on the track and your driving, not a laptimw.

If you want to know laptimes, throw the phone in your pocket while you're out there. For novice track drivers, a lap time is one more thing that clouds the purpose of why you're there, to learn to drive safe.

fred50stang 03-14-2019 06:25 PM

I use the Ram mount its a very solid piece. However, I keep my phone in the center console wrapped in a rag(slides around in there) and link it to my Gopro. You will find the camera on the iphone combined with Harry's is very shaky. Has nothing to do with mount, its the camera. There are a few guys on youtube who talk about it and the problem with the iphone camera.

Jbeautexas 03-14-2019 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx (Post 1599043041)

Turned Harry’s on today and could see the difference before and after the track owner rode along and gave a few pointers, very cool/fun!

Simply nice to quantify change...BUT, I can see why it could be harmful for some.

thanks again!

jaredtxrx 03-15-2019 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1599046098)
My tip is, unless you're fast and skilled enough be doing time trials or something where predictive lap times matter... don't bother. Focus on the track and your driving, not a laptimw.

If you want to know laptimes, throw the phone in your pocket while you're out there. For novice track drivers, a lap time is one more thing that clouds the purpose of why you're there, to learn to drive safe.

Times show improvement, and the video acquired by the lap timers is a huge help in seeing areas for improvements. Also with audio on you can hear instructors as well. I always go back and watch my videos just to review what I was being told. It's hard to process all the information you get while also driving the car and lap timers/video recorders help greatly with review.

If it was someone out doing TT events then I would suggest something much more powerful with more data inputs and better video. But for HPDE students, basic track apps for phones are a great tool to improve your driving.

FAUEE 03-15-2019 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx (Post 1599049281)
Times show improvement, and the video acquired by the lap timers is a huge help in seeing areas for improvements. Also with audio on you can hear instructors as well. I always go back and watch my videos just to review what I was being told. It's hard to process all the information you get while also driving the car and lap timers/video recorders help greatly with review.

If it was someone out doing TT events then I would suggest something much more powerful with more data inputs and better video. But for HPDE students, basic track apps for phones are a great tool to improve your driving.

I agree that the video is valuable. I think it's good to have video, but video also doesnt give you something that is actively in your face like a lap timer.