CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   C6 Base with F55 - Keep magnetic or go to C6 Z06 Shocks (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4251800-c6-base-with-f55-keep-magnetic-or-go-to-c6-z06-shocks.html)

MMHAMMER 03-14-2019 02:52 PM

C6 Base with F55 - Keep magnetic or go to C6 Z06 Shocks

I was all set to get rid of the F55 (in good shape) and go to the C6 Z06 shocks for autocross, but newer vettes have the magnetic along with Cadillac, Ferrari etc. Maybe I'm better off staying with them. What's your thoughts?

Pounder 03-22-2019 07:02 PM

in our region a C 7Z (stock) with the Mag ride dominates all classes, the car is amazing !!!! now the 1 LE Camaros are kicking butt also !!!! FWIW ????

Scooter70 03-25-2019 10:16 AM

The C7 system is completely different technology than the C6 one. There's no comparison. On a C6, just put a good set of shocks in place of the mag ones and you'll never have to worry about it. If your shocks are still in good working condition you can probably sell them and be most of the way to a set of Bilsteins.

strano@stranoparts.com 03-25-2019 03:55 PM

Funny, I dumped my Mag shocks from my C7 and am happy I did. Maybe the shocks aren't the reason that car is fast. And your F55 stuff isn't that stuff anyway. But the bigger point is why is the option only F55, Z06 or nothing? there are so many other better choices out there.

Pounder 03-25-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by strano@stranoparts.com (Post 1599107329)
Funny, I dumped my Mag shocks from my C7 and am happy I did. Maybe the shocks aren't the reason that car is fast. And your F55 stuff isn't that stuff anyway. But the bigger point is why is the option only F55, Z06 or nothing? there are so many other better choices out there.

if your referring to my post, with GREAT respect Sam we are not Professional drivers just weekend warriors !!!! there is no doubt Bill is a great driver, but to dominate all classes( almost every event in our region) and finish in the top 16 at Mineral Wells last summer, to our lay mans eyes the car preforms unreal ???

MMHAMMER 03-26-2019 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Scooter70 (Post 1599105070)
The C7 system is completely different technology than the C6 one. There's no comparison. On a C6, just put a good set of shocks in place of the mag ones and you'll never have to worry about it. If your shocks are still in good working condition you can probably sell them and be most of the way to a set of Bilsteins.

Thanks - thats the way I was looking at it! Already have the C6 Z06 shocks

MMHAMMER 03-26-2019 10:36 AM

I came across an article in the meantime that basically said the magnetic shocks really didn't offer a performance advantage until the C6 ZR-1 and newer models. Along of course with selectable ride. I really notice little difference in ride quality between the settings with mine.

strano@stranoparts.com 03-26-2019 01:31 PM

I'm saying that C6Z shocks aren't anything to write home about. And yes, I was also saying that the MRC is not what is making the new cars fast. They are good in a lot of ways, but the driver is also a huge part of that equation.

Bilsteins are pretty cheap. They are decent, but there aren't the best solution for handling, though we can do things to help the package. If someone is bent on those, I run different valvings front and rear, and that's less cost than other "revalved" shocks out there, with better results. But they are in no way equivilent to something better like a Koni Sport for that chassis. They are what I would say should have come on such a car stock. Better than stock, or other GM options of the era, but being realisitc with you.

pjazz 03-27-2019 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MMHAMMER (Post 1599111607)
I came across an article in the meantime that basically said the magnetic shocks really didn't offer a performance advantage until the C6 ZR-1 and newer models. Along of course with selectable ride. I really notice little difference in ride quality between the settings with mine.

From what I've heard you won't feel the difference unless you push the car really hard.

STANG KILLA SS 03-27-2019 04:21 PM

I would say definatly go C6Z shocks.

solely because im trying to sell my old set :rofl: