CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Politics, Religion & Controversy (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/politics-religion-and-controversy-88/)
-   -   Court rules Sandy Hook families can sue gunmaker over rifle used in shooting (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/politics-religion-and-controversy/4251803-court-rules-sandy-hook-families-can-sue-gunmaker-over-rifle-used-in-shooting.html)

66jack 03-14-2019 03:06 PM

Court rules Sandy Hook families can sue gunmaker over rifle used in shooting

Just because it 'resembles' an 'infantry rifle', does not make it an ASSAULT RIFLE....

Connecticutís highest court has cleared the way for families of nine victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting to sue over the marketing of the semiautomatic rifle Adam Lanza used to kill.

The families argued that the manufacturer, distributor and seller of the weapon negligently entrusted to civilian consumers an assault rifle that is suitable for use only by military and law enforcement personnel and violated the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act (CUTPA) through the sale or wrongful marketing of the rifle.

The lawsuit, which lists Bushmaster Firearms International as the defendant, has already overcome years worth of legal hurdles after first being filed more than four years ago, more than two years after the shooting at the Connecticut school left 26 people dead.

The families released a statement saying that they are "grateful that our stateís Supreme Court has rejected the gun industryís bid for complete immunity, not only from the consequences of their reckless conduct but also from the truth-seeking discovery process," said attorney Josh Koskoff of Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-rule...ry?id=61682953

pewter99 03-14-2019 03:09 PM

you can sue all ya want.....I think the manufacturer should sue his families estate for failure to secure their weapon thus causing harm to their company

TCracingCA 03-14-2019 03:17 PM

One thing I would say in addition to crap like this, is if the guy changed anything or added anything, then the Owner was not using the weapon as sold! That alone should negate a lawsuit against a Manufacturer, but heck why not sue everyone from the President, all of Congress, the Governor, everyone in the State Assembies etc etc individually for having a US Constitution and Laws allowing the sale period in this Country and State if they want to be that stupid!

MagRedConv 03-14-2019 03:17 PM

CT's highest court is exactly that, high.

GhostTX 03-14-2019 03:20 PM

Wrongful marketing? What a bunch of crap. Did they advertise shooting up schools? Would love to see how they can tie the marketing to using the weapon unlawfully.

JustinStrife 03-14-2019 03:22 PM

Time to disband that court.

Sifu-TZ 03-14-2019 03:23 PM

that weapon was performing perfectly as manufactured. nothing went wrong with it until some fuckhead got his paws on it.

Millenium Z06 03-14-2019 03:27 PM

I disagree with this completely. With this logic, a family could sue an automaker for loss of life when a drunk kills a family member. This isn't the gun manufacturers responsibility at all

6spdC6 03-14-2019 03:27 PM

This has been tried and shut down many times, the POS shyster lawyers try it knowing it will get tossed out after a couple state courts pass it. The shysters get plenty of money propagating bullshit like this.

BoostManiac 03-14-2019 03:27 PM

I've got a Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine.

It's freakin' great! Destroys cans, watermelons, varmints, etc, with ease. Accurate, lightweight, reliable.

But mine hasn't killed any people. So is mine evil, or just Lanza's?

flange 03-14-2019 03:30 PM

bad precedent.

wdwinder 03-14-2019 03:30 PM

That rifle was NOT sold to Adam. He stole after killing his mother (rifle owner) in her sleep.

GhostTX 03-14-2019 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by wdwinder (Post 1599045110)
That rifle was NOT sold to Adam. He stole after killing his mother (rifle owner) in her sleep.

I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted to use it had it not been for those commercials showing how cool it was to shoot school children.

Mr D. 03-14-2019 03:35 PM

Just a POS lawyer and POS Judge, this is going nowhere.

LFZ 03-14-2019 03:38 PM

All a media spin to push a narrative...just like Sandy Hook. Never ending narrative.......

owebo 03-14-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ (Post 1599045054)
that weapon was performing perfectly as manufactured. nothing went wrong with it until some fuckhead got his paws on it.

heps, one of your liberal friends...

glbeauchamp 03-14-2019 03:45 PM

Probably the ambulance chasers will go the route of making defending themselves so expensive for Bushmaster they will settle out of court with no admission of responsibility. But even this will probably set a precedent. As far as entrusting a military/LE type "assault" rifle (full auto) to civilians, that is false on its face.

Z Factor 03-14-2019 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1599044947)
you can sue all ya want.....I think the manufacturer should sue his families estate for failure to secure their weapon thus causing harm to their company

Correct me if I am wrong, but the kook killed his mother and stole the weapons, possibly out of the family safe.
The reason the families are not going after the kooks family is because they know they are not responsible for the criminal actions of the one son, and because they do not have deep pockets.
Suing the gun manufacturer gets a lot more money, and for those who are anti-gun, the bonus of trying to put a manufacturer into bankruptcy and out of business is what they hope for. Then it would be a precedent for others to go after any and all gun manufacturers.

Frankie the Fink 03-14-2019 04:05 PM

They are hoping for a landmark case that will put most gun manufacturers on notice that their business model is in peril....
And yes, they should sue the gov't for not knowing a nut job was a nut job through psychic means and arrest him before he did harm....

Waytofastvette2006 03-14-2019 04:11 PM

Every day I feel like Iíve slipped into the twilight zone where common sense and reason have been abolished and punishable by death