CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   ARP Headstuds and main studs. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4251910-arp-headstuds-and-main-studs.html)

wdo-mkr 03-14-2019 08:17 PM

ARP Headstuds and main studs.

Does anyone have the part nunbers for arp head studs and main studs for a 93 block?

wdo-mkr 03-15-2019 03:15 PM

ARP Headstuds and main studs?

Ttt

wfot 03-15-2019 05:51 PM

They do not stock either. From what I understand, every so often they make a run and they eventually get sold.
I believe a good place to check is todd P if I can get a link I'll post it. He is the one that has a 427 large bore build, closed deck. I don't know 8f he has them I. Stock but he has done the research and offers them on his site. Mains for sure burl 2 bolt I think. Head studs are the same 90 to 95

95ZR1 03-15-2019 06:32 PM

N m

tpepmeie 03-16-2019 04:53 PM

Paul, you've recently posted asking for leads on both a 4" crank and the head/main studs I sell. I have all of these in stock or can replenish in a short time. I sent you a quote for your proposed build several months ago. If you are serious about doing a motor, just let me know. Or maybe you can piece it all together, but some of the things you want are not available retail. The crank is, of course. Call Bryant Racing and ask for Joe Squires. Expect the final price to be around $5500 balanced.

wdo-mkr 03-16-2019 08:51 PM

Thanks Todd. I am still processing some sticker shock over the estimate but appreciate you putting it together. I dont doubt the quality of your work at all either. Time is money afterall.

I was not aware you had the studs in stock. Drop me a pm and let me know how much they are going for. I think the market is still a bit overpriced ar times when one can purchase head studs for a 6.0l diesel for 500 and the previous price from a person who managed to lock up these from arp was triple that.

Thanks for the heads up on joe. I got know sb after i bought my 415 crank several years ago thanks to the help from graham.

Rkreigh 03-17-2019 05:34 AM

I've got a SB 3.875 crank in the old LSV and I would have a hard time swollowing the $ for a new one.

there is a 415 built by mis Led on ebay. I'd snag that at it's more cost effective than building one

the parts and labor are spendy for the ponies you get. I'd get er done, and sell what you have.

wdo-mkr 03-17-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rkreigh (Post 1599059155)
I've got a SB 3.875 crank in the old LSV and I would have a hard time swollowing the $ for a new one.

there is a 415 built by mis Led on ebay. I'd snag that at it's more cost effective than building one

the parts and labor are spendy for the ponies you get. I'd get er done, and sell what you have.

Thanks Ron. Would like to see the old lsv back together and running. I have a 415 that we put together about ten years ago. Corey got the project afterward a bump in the project and helped straighten it out. He did his usual fantastic job.

I remember getting to drive aaron scotts 368 car, bob halls 385, and then when hal hunnicut was selling his 415 i got to drive that one. That was the turning point and i was hooked.

In hindsight i should have just bought hals car. Outstanding car and it would have saved me a ton of cash in the long run. I tell most people not to buy these cars as its a terminal disease and you wont be able to have just one. Have three right now and i want to get down to the 91 415 and trying to decide what to do with this 93 car.

Tyler Townsley 03-17-2019 08:53 PM

A friend is putting a turbo on a LT1 block. He bought ARP studs and used their recommended thread sealer. 5 Minutes into the first start he had water in the pan, the studs were leaking into the block. He ended up having to pull them all and going with Permatex sealer. He was not happy with ARP products.

Monte's 57 Corvette Street rod.

This car was designed and built by Wayne Sampson. It was bought by Monte who had it repainted, installed coil overs, a T56 5 speed, new gauges and rebuilt the LT-4 with trick flow heads, turbo cam, forged internals and a turbo.
Wayne's build is here: http://thepandatrap.com/tyler/wayne/
Monte's Turbo Part: http://thepandatrap.com/gallery/Mont...tte-Street-rod

Tyler

A26B 03-18-2019 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by wdo-mkr (Post 1599058031)
Thanks Todd. I am still processing some sticker shock over the estimate but appreciate you putting it together. I dont doubt the quality of your work at all either. Time is money afterall.

I was not aware you had the studs in stock. Drop me a pm and let me know how much they are going for. I think the market is still a bit overpriced ar times when one can purchase head studs for a 6.0l diesel for 500 and the previous price from a person who managed to lock up these from arp was triple that.

Thanks for the heads up on joe. I got know sb after i bought my 415 crank several years ago thanks to the help from graham.

I've been making LT5 parts for several years now and can tell you from experience that a comparison of LT5 parts cost to virtually all other engines, is not relative. It's small quantity runs economics versus large run economics. In order to get chain guide facings produced, I had to make 2,000 of each one. The vast majority of the cost is molds. Machined parts require set-up & sometimes tooling expenses, and is the same for small quantities as large quantities. Same goes for the GM revised tensioner housing. A difficult part to machine with tight tolerances. I had to make 250 a few years ago & have sold just 13. But, we do have them now.Then you can add the R&D time it takes to fully research a product & find a viable supplier that will even discuss your low volume order.

The studs Todd offers are special & for limited use in an already low volume market. He can only afford to make them very small quantities. I have seen Todd repeatedly offer parts to the forum to get the quantity up higher for lower cost. We're lucky to even have the option.

We can't expect to be able to compete with parts cost of LS engines. But then, our beloved LT5 engine ain't your typical, mass produced power plant. We are just too small of a market for the common suppliers like FelPro, Mahle, Manley, etc., to have interest. We LT5 guys are in the custom parts arena, especially now that the last engine produced is 26 years old.

Out of fairness to the previous supplier (likely Ron Woods, Randy's dad, now deceased for several years) who had the LT5 head studs, I can only say that in my personal experience with ARP, (1) No one gets an exclusive right for anything ARP makes for a customer, (2) For a customer to have a new product, made by ARP, they will quote based on the quantity ordered. So it's likely that Ron had to invest quite a lot in enough sets to even make the price viable at all. When it takes 20 studs that are M14 x 220 in size, that a lot of big, expensive studs. My guess is Ron probably had to pay $500/set & make at least 10 sets. That's a $5,000 investment that would take 40% of his run (4 sets) to just break even. Who knows how long it would took him to sell 4 sets. .

wdo-mkr 03-18-2019 05:48 PM

Thanks Jerry. I appreciate your point of view. Todd got an email about the head studs yesterday. I am sure that there will be continued orders coming to you and todd. In fact there is an order waiting for you right now. I know I will need everyones help as we try and raise up another lt5 to the power levels we have all come to expect.

wdo-mkr 03-18-2019 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley (Post 1599062990)
A friend is putting a turbo on a LT1 block. He bought ARP studs and used their recommended thread sealer.

Tyler

Tyler, great to hear from you! Hows the prototype doing these days? Still got it?

Rkreigh 03-21-2019 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by A26B (Post 1599064710)
I've been making LT5 parts for several years now and can tell you from experience that a comparison of LT5 parts cost to virtually all other engines, is not relative. It's small quantity runs economics versus large run economics. In order to get chain guide facings produced, I had to make 2,000 of each one. The vast majority of the cost is molds. Machined parts require set-up & sometimes tooling expenses, and is the same for small quantities as large quantities. Same goes for the GM revised tensioner housing. A difficult part to machine with tight tolerances. I had to make 250 a few years ago & have sold just 13. But, we do have them now.Then you can add the R&D time it takes to fully research a product & find a viable supplier that will even discuss your low volume order.

The studs Todd offers are special & for limited use in an already low volume market. He can only afford to make them very small quantities. I have seen Todd repeatedly offer parts to the forum to get the quantity up higher for lower cost. We're lucky to even have the option.

We can't expect to be able to compete with parts cost of LS engines. But then, our beloved LT5 engine ain't your typical, mass produced power plant. We are just too small of a market for the common suppliers like FelPro, Mahle, Manley, etc., to have interest. We LT5 guys are in the custom parts arena, especially now that the last engine produced is 26 years old.

Out of fairness to the previous supplier (likely Ron Woods, Randy's dad, now deceased for several years) who had the LT5 head studs, I can only say that in my personal experience with ARP, (1) No one gets an exclusive right for anything ARP makes for a customer, (2) For a customer to have a new product, made by ARP, they will quote based on the quantity ordered. So it's likely that Ron had to invest quite a lot in enough sets to even make the price viable at all. When it takes 20 studs that are M14 x 220 in size, that a lot of big, expensive studs. My guess is Ron probably had to pay $500/set & make at least 10 sets. That's a $5,000 investment that would take 40% of his run (4 sets) to just break even. Who knows how long it would took him to sell 4 sets. .

Jerry you are helping to keep the beast viable. I'd love to talk to you about a MS3 pro project to pick up where Raptor left off. I want to take advantage of the coil on plug and remove the DIS so I can sell it to those in need.

It really is the right time for me to do this as the car is apart, but I want to take a different approach than the plug and play and "cut into" the wiring and keep the factory ecm intact but just take away the key engine management functions.

I know it can be done, it will just take lots of mechanics, guts and money

I'm also very interested in R&D to do an ITB setup. With the high cost of modding the intake, I'd love to see what a cnc modified base along with the ITBs could do.