CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Got my Carbotech's....now what? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4251914-got-my-carbotechs-now-what.html)

bbrown450 03-14-2019 08:25 PM

Got my Carbotech's....now what?

Was surprised to find a lot of places will not install these unless purchased a similar type thru them. I have not approached the dealer, I had a speed shop install my last set (16’ Z61)but was not impressed as they squealed a tad .
Yeah i know they re a realatively easy install ....just not me to do it . Thoughts and experiences welcome ..thanks

runner61627 03-14-2019 08:29 PM

Where are you located? There might be some forum members willing to help install

bbrown450 03-14-2019 08:43 PM

Tampa Bay Fl area,,,,thanks

runner61627 03-14-2019 08:58 PM

Just installed my Carbotech’s today since the weather was finally 60+ in Pennsylvania. Took me about two hours. The front brake pads took the longest, the rears were easy. Needed to seat the front caliper pistons to get the new pads in, but otherwise no issues. The video from Ozzstar was an excellent “how to”.

ZO6 cracker 03-14-2019 10:09 PM

Had the dealer put mine on my 19Z06 before I brought it home.

LuisZ51 03-14-2019 10:13 PM

Super easy install. I'm in Highlands county, about 2.5 hours from you.

Vetteman Jack 03-14-2019 10:35 PM

Thanks for posting the video link. Don't need to change mine now, but saved the link for future use.

KCV 03-14-2019 11:04 PM

Find out if any of your local Chevy dealers sponsor your local Corvette car club. They might be most likely to help you.

Scudz 03-15-2019 09:19 AM

To the OP, hopefully someone will be close enough to help you out. You’re probably better off with the help of a forum member vs taking it to any ‘ol garage that may not be careful with your car. You could probably settle up for a few beers or a nice lunch and conversation. I’m planning to do it myself and am looking into jacking pucks and maybe a low profile jack.

How are you guys liking the Carbotech brake pads for street use? I’m assuming the OP is swapping to eliminate brake dust rather than going to the track. I’m having a hard time selecting a brand based on the many threads I’ve read. I was set on Carbotech but I hate to say that I’m considering the Powerstops based on good reviews. As one member stated, he would have been happy to pay a 50% “corvette tax”, but not 400%. I think I’m starting to agree with this, but really don’t want to buy Chinese parts. I may just keep the stock pads and wash my wheels once a week until I can solve this dilemma in my head.

jbretthorton 03-15-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bbrown450 (Post 1599046869)
Tampa Bay Fl area,,,,thanks

I would be glad to help you!
I live in Brandon
I have changed several Carbo Tech Pads on my Z51
I also am a certified aircraft Mechanic if it helps ease your mind. :)

Wont take any time!

PM me if you would like some help.

jbretthorton 03-15-2019 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scudz (Post 1599048760)
To the OP, hopefully someone will be close enough to help you out. You’re probably better off with the help of a forum member vs taking it to any ‘ol garage that may not be careful with your car. You could probably settle up for a few beers or a nice lunch and conversation. I’m planning to do it myself and am looking into jacking pucks and maybe a low profile jack.

How are you guys liking the Carbotech brake pads for street use? I’m assuming the OP is swapping to eliminate brake dust rather than going to the track. I’m having a hard time selecting a brand based on the many threads I’ve read. I was set on Carbotech but I hate to say that I’m considering the Powerstops based on good reviews. As one member stated, he would have been happy to pay a 50% “corvette tax”, but not 400%. I think I’m starting to agree with this, but really don’t want to buy Chinese parts. I may just keep the stock pads and wash my wheels once a week until I can solve this dilemma in my head.

I run the 1521's on the street and are perfect! Zero Squeal and almost zero dust. I also run the X10's on the track and they are dusty (Obviously) Squeal bad when stopping at slow speed (Obviously) but would stop a freight train! Or my Z51 at 147 mph down to 70 at turn 17 in Sebring....

markmo 03-15-2019 10:06 AM

I just put a set of Carbotechs on my car - a few days after I spent a week vacation in Dunedin Florida. (bad timing, I would have done it for you) The hardest part of the job is jacking and removing the tires. I am sure I could talk you through this job very easily over the phone.
Mark

JMII 03-15-2019 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by bbrown450 (Post 1599046784)
Was surprised to find a lot of places will not install these unless purchased a similar type thru them.

Might need to find an independent mechanic. Most dealers or chain style auto shops (TiresPlus, Midas, PepBoys, etc) will not install consumer purchased parts regardless of brand.

19672014 03-15-2019 01:19 PM

Do the Carbotechs last as long as the OEM pads?

village idiot 03-15-2019 01:27 PM

KenHorse 03-15-2019 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by JMII (Post 1599049349)
Might need to find an independent mechanic. Most dealers or chain style auto shops (TiresPlus, Midas, PepBoys, etc) will not install consumer purchased parts regardless of brand.

I was lucky with the replacement gas tank for my S10 truck. My local dealer (who also works on my various 'vettes) allowed me to supply the tank where they did the labor. And about 2 months after they did, there was a leak in a connection (on the top of the tank, which necessitates removing it to gain access) and they warranted the fix

Good dealer I must say!

KCV 03-15-2019 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by 19672014 (Post 1599050249)
Do the Carbotechs last as long as the OEM pads?

They are supposed to last longer as well as the rotors.

JMII 03-15-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1599050376)
Good dealer I must say!

For sure, you found a good one then. Helps when you take other vehicles there too I bet.

My experience is they gave me a nonsense speech about knock-off parts that could explode killing everyone in a 10 mile radius :rolleyes: My guess is they just don't want any liability at all (too many lawyers). The bigger the shop or dealership the more they seem to enforce this policy. My independent shop was OK with me bringing in my own parts but wouldn't warranty the work past 30 days. If you use their stuff they offer a full year warranty on both parts and labor. I saved 30% by sourcing the parts from RockAuto and everything was perfect.

Brakes are very generic, there is almost no difference from one car brand or model to another so any shop should be able to do a pad swap. Heck even Kia's can be optioned up with Brembos these days so this isn't specialized work at all. In fact its no harder then an oil change... but I can understand people who don't want to get bogged down doing it themselves.

gpotski 03-15-2019 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker (Post 1599047303)
Had the dealer put mine on my 19Z06 before I brought it home.

I did the same, had the dealer put them on my new 2015 Z51 before I picked up the car.

Sold the OEM brake pads on CF.

USMC 0802 03-15-2019 06:47 PM

I’m in Tampa (Citrus Park) and if you bring a 6 pack for when we’re done...