CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Should I change from the stock wheel size? and more (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4251917-should-i-change-from-the-stock-wheel-size-and-more.html)

woodcrest 03-14-2019 08:43 PM

Should I change from the stock wheel size? and more

Getting new tires for my 89, and considering new wheels as well. Should I change the wheel size? Car to be used for "normal type" driving, not racing. Will there be an issue with the tire=pressure sensors? Will they transfer over readily? Will the wheels be noticeably lighter than stock? Any market for the stock wheels? Any wheel brand to especially get or not get? Also, style-wise thinking flat black, the car itself is a black convertible, Thanks for all the help P.S. Favoring the BFG GForce Comp2 A/S 98W tires

vader86 03-14-2019 09:29 PM

Going to a larger wheel, like the C6 wheels, will open up some avenues for larger brakes and more tire choices in the future. Getting a good tire in the stock sizes is becoming harder to do every year.

I went with OEWheels for my last purchase.

65Z01 03-15-2019 01:08 AM

You can likely sell your OEM wheels and maybe the tires too.

Since you have a black Vette black wheels would look great, IMO.

QCVette 03-15-2019 09:46 AM

The tire sensors attach with band clamps in the middle of the wheel. Other wheel shapes in the center section are hard to second guess if they will fit or not. If you go to larger diameter wheels the chances of the stock band clamps working is reduced. Even different wheels of the same 17" diameter are hard to tell what shape the center is, so the best way to tell is to try them or if someone on the forum (or elsewhere) has tried them.

The option for bigger brakes was brought up. Your stock '89 wheels will fit the J55 C4 option, and will also fit the C5 brakes. I suspect that is the limit, so if you go to bigger than the C5 brakes your stock wheels may not work.

The only way to tell if other wheels are lighter is to check with the manufacturer or weigh them. Many aftermarket (cheaper wheels) will be heavier than your stock wheels. Many aftermarket (expensive wheels) will be lighter. Not strictly based on price to determine weight, but it seems to work out that way.

For a driver car, the stock 17" with 275/40/17 or 285/40/17 tires work fine.

The real question is subjective. What look do you want? Many people change wheels for a certain appearance. Personally, I like the '88-'90 style wheels. I had an '88 (with '88 wheels) and still have a set of the '90 wheels (that I have used on several cars '88, '94, '95, and '96)

Good luck with your choices.

WVZR-1 03-15-2019 10:57 AM

I'd think the first consideration would be the condition of 'what ya got now'!! Do you actually have 'functional' UJ6? I'd think if I had a very nice '89 I'd prefer 'original' vs any after-market that are 'affordable' for most. If originals are beat with a bunch of 'curb rash' etc maybe that changes what should be considered!!

Kevova 03-15-2019 04:32 PM

Actually the c5 brakes required C5 front wheels or 18s. The C5 caliper sits a little higher than J55. Base C5 front wheels17x8.5. You presently have 17x9.5. With wheels its really a matter of taste and budget.

QCVette 03-16-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kevova (Post 1599051431)
Actually the c5 brakes required C5 front wheels or 18s. The C5 caliper sits a little higher than J55. Base C5 front wheels17x8.5. You presently have 17x9.5. With wheels its really a matter of taste and budget.

Not quite.

The '88-'90 C4 17" work fine. The 17' Collector Edition/ZR1/GS/etc. work fine.

The '91-'96 sawblades do not fit without modifications. Some people grind off the ribs on the caliper or the back side of the vanes nearest the OD to make them fit. I did not want to do that to my calipers or wheels. I tried the '93-'96 wheels on mine and they inside edge of the vanes hit the caliper and will not work without modifications.

For reference, I put a couple pictures of my C5 with C4 wheels below.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3ef46575ed.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...92fba37133.jpg

MatthewMiller 03-16-2019 11:50 AM

Given the OP's stated use of the car, which does not include any type of racing, there is absolutely no need to spend money and time on bigger brakes. That's just silly. Ditto the wheel and tire size. He should stick with the stock 17x9.5" wheels and choose from any number of quality 275/40r17 tires that are on the market. The only reason to change wheels, as previously noted, is if he just wants a different look.

c4cruiser 03-16-2019 12:11 PM

I would suggest staying with the OEM 275/40-17 tires and wheels that are 9.5x17 with a 56mm offset. This combo will allow you to rotate the tires/wheels and that will help with longer tire life and wear. There's probably no reason you can't use an 18" wheel/tire combo as long as the dimensions are very close to or equal to the OEM dimensions.

As for brakes, I would suggest using the optional J55 front calipers and rotors. The J55 rotors are very close in diameter and width to the C5 front brakes and you can probably find them to be cheaper that the C5 front brakes. Rear brake components don't need to be changed or upgraded. The two cars use different styles of parking brakes: later C4 used the calipers and the C5 uses an internal drum brake.

Given that the car is for general street use, you may want to just get some good OEM size rotors, stainless flex lines, and good pads. Make sure to do a complete brake fluid flush too!

MatthewMiller 03-16-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by c4cruiser (Post 1599055376)
I would suggest staying with the OEM 275/40-17 tires and wheels that are 9.5x17 with a 56mm offset. This combo will allow you to rotate the tires/wheels and that will help with longer tire life and wear. There's probably no reason you can't use an 18" wheel/tire combo as long as the dimensions are very close to or equal to the OEM dimensions.

If, and only if, the PO wants a different look, then there are lots of 18s that will fit. You can fit anything up to an 18x11 et50 on all four corners of the car, with 315/30r18 tires. However, there are very few choices in that tire size. A better street option is probably 18x10 or 18x10.5 with 285/35 or 295/35 tires. I don't know if these Shelby's are still available from the seller, but they would be pure sex on any C4.