CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Corvette Racing School (Detailed Version) - Ron Fellows Corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4251958-corvette-racing-school-detailed-version-ron-fellows-corvette.html)

Ozzstar 03-14-2019 10:27 PM

Corvette Racing School (Detailed Version) - Ron Fellows Corvette

Here is the follow up video to the previous Ron Fellows Corvette Driving School video I posted earlier on the Ozzstar YouTube channel. The video should help you relive the awesome time you had or give future students a really good idea of what to expect. Thanks for checking it out and let me know what you think and share it if you care to. Thanks and drive safe -Glen (Ozz)

jimmbbo 03-14-2019 10:41 PM

Great review!
When I did the instructor driving observation event, he was drinking a cup of coffee and pulling 1.25Gs+ in every turn. That's when I knew the car's limits were WAAAY beyond what I was asking it to do! :rofl:

Ozzstar 03-14-2019 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jimmbbo (Post 1599047464)
Great review!
When I did the instructor driving observation event, he was drinking a cup of coffee and pulling 1.25Gs+ in every turn. That's when I knew the car's limits were WAAAY beyond what I was asking it to do! :rofl:

Haha that is so cool! Great cars and great instructors. Thanks!

SouthOCBoy 03-15-2019 01:13 AM

Very cool. You had the same instructor driving/ride along that I did. You mentioned the braking. That was one thing I noticed as well; that the instructors were harder on the brakes than I was. I can't believe that was your first time. You did excellent; better than I did. I am going back for the level one class this June. Great video. Thank you.

JMII 03-15-2019 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by SouthOCBoy (Post 1599047931)
ou mentioned the braking. That was one thing I noticed as well; that the instructors were harder on the brakes than I was.

As an occasion HPDE instructor braking is the biggest challenge for track new comers. It always amazes people just how hard you can brake. Years of tapping or slowly dragging the brakes on the street is a hard habit to break (no pun intended). Once you get on the brakes you should attempt to push the pedal thru the firewall. I think people are afraid of locking up and skidding out of control, but ABS will sort it out and you'll be fine. If your getting into ABS its often due to applying the brakes too quickly versus too hard. You need to feel the weight transfer and apply pressure accordingly. With the weight shifted forward it forces the tires into the pavement, so the car should grip better and then slow dramatically.

However even after many years I still don't use all the available braking because its so difficult to trick your brain into believing that car will in fact slow down enough. On the other hand professional drivers are fully committed and have complete trust in their machine, which is why they can squeeze that extra performance out of each corner.

duckvett 03-15-2019 01:14 PM

I just returned home after attending the Corvette Owner's School at Spring Mountain the first of this week. I can confirm that braking was the hardest concept to grasp at first. The instructors, who are ALL excellent, teach you to brake hard before the corner while still driving straight, then lessen the brake pressure at turn-in (balance). Light brake pressure through the balance zone, then unwind the steering and accelerate through the apex.
The classes gave me an even greater appreciation of the Corvette and the people who race these car professionally. I cannot imagine what it takes to maintain that level of concentration throughout an endurance race. I was exhausted after 2 days of short stints on track and classroom. That much information in only two days is like trying to drink from a fire hose!
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...958ebc0fd2.jpg

SouthOCBoy 03-15-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by duckvett (Post 1599050218)
I just returned home after attending the Corvette Owner's School at Spring Mountain the first of this week. I can confirm that braking was the hardest concept to grasp at first. The instructors, who are ALL excellent, teach you to brake hard before the corner while still driving straight, then lessen the brake pressure at turn-in (balance). Light brake pressure through the balance zone, then unwind the steering and accelerate through the apex.
The classes gave me an even greater appreciation of the Corvette and the people who race these car professionally. I cannot imagine what it takes to maintain that level of concentration throughout an endurance race. I was exhausted after 2 days of short stints on track and classroom. That much information in only two days is like trying to drink from a fire hose!

:iagree:

Ozzstar 03-15-2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by SouthOCBoy (Post 1599047931)
Very cool. You had the same instructor driving/ride along that I did. You mentioned the braking. That was one thing I noticed as well; that the instructors were harder on the brakes than I was. I can't believe that was your first time. You did excellent; better than I did. I am going back for the level one class this June. Great video. Thank you.

Have a great time. Level 1 is on my bucket list now. Richey Hearn showed me the personal braking instruction. Wish I had that on film. :-) Thanks for your post! -Glen

Skid Row Joe 03-15-2019 03:40 PM

OZZSTAR:
What are the basic take aways you can and do use on the streets and highways in everyday driving?

Foosh 03-15-2019 03:56 PM

Nice job OZZ, brings back great memories of that same track when I was there last fall. I also did Level 1 Z06 school back in 2006 shortly after they opened. The only thing there was one building and a couple of garages. They've come a long way over the last decade, with many more track configurations and very nice amenities.

spinkick 03-15-2019 09:01 PM

Awesome video, It looks like a blast. You did great out there.

DALE#3 03-15-2019 10:18 PM

Gotta say,Video was Very well Dun and informative,Big Time.Very cool to be able to purchase a Race Car today.Not Cheap.What the Hell is? Want cheap go to the dollar store.
I know what you mean about the braking.You did very well for first track by the way.I was watching the brake meter.Yes makes sense on braking hard as you explained it.That is why going to fast entering you hear tires more cause car wasn't planted.
Never knew that.Got over 100k miles on both of my Colorado pu trucks on first brake job.True story.Learned from UPS Driving School,look way ahead,like track,But let off before braking.
I didn't go to school after my GS Purchase.To be honest,afraid of myself driving faster when i got home.I drive fast.That is why i spent 75k.Love fast and a handling car.
I want to go.May still try to get in?My year ran out.Got a couple ideas...
Glad you were happy you went.Thanks.Great job

Ranger5 03-16-2019 10:44 AM

Ozz,
Very well done! I had the same instructor about a year ago. Took me awhile to get the concept of hard braking down also. I understood what the instructors were saying....intellectually it took awhile to translate it properly. Great video.

Racingswh 03-16-2019 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by jimmbbo (Post 1599047464)
he was drinking a cup of coffee and pulling 1.25Gs+ in every turn.

Incredible!!

I know when I am at that level of G's I have to put my coffee down. :D

On the road 03-16-2019 12:01 PM

Spring Mountain

Very nice video. I was out there and took the class on March 1st and 2nd. It was an awesome experience. Unfortunately we had light rain on and off the second day so track times didn't really improve but it was still a great time.

socalspringmountain 03-18-2019 11:53 AM

awesome video and descriptions! I like how you explained the exercises too, as a lot of people have questions on that.
much, much appreciate the work you put into it Glen!
cheers sir!
Vic.

joemessman 03-18-2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1599051133)
OZZSTAR:
What are the basic take aways you can and do use on the streets and highways in everyday driving?

For me it was "brake before the turn", and "throttle steering". I'm hell on wheels now! :rofl:

Demnos 03-18-2019 01:46 PM

Great video!! Gets the heart pumping just remembering the class so thank you for putting this together. Totally agree too that the instructors are top notch and very patient. Can't wait to go back someday :)

Skid Row Joe 03-18-2019 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by joemessman (Post 1599065605)
For me it was "brake before the turn", and "throttle steering". I'm hell on wheels now! :rofl:

If you're going slow enough, you won't need to brake - just apply throttle and drift the turns.

What it doesn't demonstrate or mention is drifting in the corners. Probably not advanced enough to risk drifting with the throttle? . It halfway explains that you need to aim for and hump it over the raised rumble pavement, but I'm wondering why that's employed versus steering clear of the rumbled pavement? The telemetry of the car must be thrown off by this, but it must offset avoiding it? :shrug:

jimjimsC7 03-18-2019 04:40 PM

Great job Glen, thanks for sharing. I'm headed out next week!