CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   1963 Z06 Tanker needs restoration (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4251998-1963-z06-tanker-needs-restoration.html)

KRISSI 03-15-2019 04:27 AM

1963 Z06 Tanker needs restoration

Hi, I have in my immediate family a 1963 Z06 Tanker. And yes, I’m positive it’s real, as the VINS on the engine, power train, rear end and body have matched since 1965 when we got it. All original, with documentation, sales slip, paperwork from the dealer, original owners manual and every piece of paper that came with the car, and every single thing on it is original. Garage kept since early 80s because shockingly, the brakes rusted.

But now they want to get a local mechanic who knows nothing about classic cars and less than that about restoration. You know, just get it back to running order. (Pause for horrified screaming. I know, I do it quite a lot.) As you surely know, it is physically painful to think of what someone who couldn’t fix my Saturn, much less how even appreciate what this is would find acceptable to get it in “running order”. And I can’t get them to trailer it out and sell it as-is.

What I was wondering is if you could give me the names of some good restoration experts. I know it would probably cost at least $100,000 - $150,000 to fully restore, but I feel that it’s important that only the best work on this car. There aren’t many of them left, after all.

Someone in Illinois would be great, but I’ll trailer this thing to Alaska if I have to.

If you or anyone reading can answer this or direct me somewhere, I would be so grateful. I’m working against the clock on this one. But no matter what, thank you so much for helping to save such a classic, beautiful car, and listening to my ramblings.

Thank you sincerely,

Krissi

KRISSI 03-15-2019 04:59 AM

If anyone can just give me an idea where I might ask or get started, that would be much appreciated. I don’t even care if you’re wrong. I’ll take anything I can get at this point.

Thanks again,
Krissi

Or just say hi! I’m love to make friends! (I know it sounds sarcastic, but seriously, it’s not.)

KRISSI 03-15-2019 05:25 AM

Krissi from Chicago 63 Z06 Tanker

Hi everyone! I’m looking for someone very good to restore a 63 Z06 Tanker. I started restoring ‘55-‘57 t-birds with my dad when I was about 7. And I don’t mean “helping”. He made me releather a dash when I was 10 after telling me how expensive I was and how I had one chance before the glue set permanently. But I’ll say this for him- that thing turned out flawlessly. Pressure is a great motivator for children. People thought it was professional, but what would most of them know? Plus children’s hands fit so much better into small spaces.

My point? I’m not new to classic cars, but I wouldn’t touch any part of this. Corvette “factory condition” perfection is sooo far beyond me right now. So I’m trying to find someone to suggest or direct me in the way of an expert restoration company or person.

I’d be so thankful for any suggestions. Or if you just want to say hi, that’s great too!

champs65 03-15-2019 05:52 AM

I can't recommend anyone, but the best advice I can give is that wherever you take it, make 100% sure that you trust the shop and that it doesn't wind up being taken apart and held hostage when work either doesn't move forward or isn't done satisfactorily.

There have been several threads throughout the forum over the years where that has happened and the owner has had trouble reclaiming the car or its' more valuable parts that have been removed and been "lost",either due to the mechanic ineptitude or even dishonesty.

Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of incredibly smart and good people here and I'm sure someone can help get you going in the right direction . :cheers:

edit: Maybe consider joining ncrs.org
Pics of car? Everyone is going to want to see pics of such a special unrestored 63!!!

Nowhere Man 03-15-2019 06:00 AM

The 100% best person for this job bar none is Tony’s Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg Md. bar none Tony is the worlds best authority on 63 ZO6 cars. You don’t believe me check his book he published

Vettrocious 03-15-2019 06:14 AM

Before you take it anywhere, I'd have a Z06 expert come and take a look at it. There are several people on this forum who qualify in that regard, who, I'd guess, would be anxious to come and see a real Z06 that's been sitting since the 80s. Most of them will probably want to buy it, too:D

Please do not take it anywhere and leave it without first photographing every singe part.. There are many, many rare, expensive difficult to find parts on that car that could be swapped easily in minutes.

Good luck, don't hesitate to ask the guys here anything about the restoration.

Mike

Nowhere Man 03-15-2019 06:22 AM

Mike if you ever met Tony you will know he will tell you in a New York minute of it’s a real ZO6 or not and help you restore it.

erns65 03-15-2019 06:40 AM

I would contact Tim Thorpe, located in southern Illinois near St. Louis, he is restoring one right now. Thorpe's Body & Corvette Shop O'Fallon, IL

Chuck Gongloff 03-15-2019 07:14 AM

Contact Tony Avedisian at Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg, MD.

Tony is the most knowledgeable guy around...

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...-avedisian-z06

eric lipper 03-15-2019 07:25 AM

Jim Sloggett at Sloggett's in Grand Island, NE did an unbelievable job on my car and documented the restoration in an incredibly professional way.

Bajaholic 03-15-2019 08:27 AM

You have a wealth of information in your back yard, both the WI Chapter http://www.ncrs-wi.com/ and Illinois Chater http://www.ilncrs.org/ of NCRS will have multiple members there to help you should you wish to take it on through a shop of yourself.

They are both very active Chapters. And depending on the car, one of the members may know the history and background on your car. It sounds like a great project, please keep us posted on your adventure and take pics along the way.

HeyMark 03-15-2019 08:29 AM

Krissi, call Tom Ricotta of Ricotta's Automotive in Rockford, IL. 815-282-6700. Outstanding Corvette restoration expert, and will treat you fair and right.

Jeff T. 03-15-2019 08:58 AM

Welcome to the forum Krissi! :thumbs:

biggd 03-15-2019 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by KRISSI (Post 1599048108)
Hi, I have in my immediate family a 1963 Z06 Tanker. And yes, I’m positive it’s real, as the VINS on the engine, power train, rear end and body have matched since 1965 when we got it. All original, with documentation, sales slip, paperwork from the dealer, original owners manual and every piece of paper that came with the car, and every single thing on it is original. Garage kept since early 80s because shockingly, the brakes rusted.

But now they want to get a local mechanic who knows nothing about classic cars and less than that about restoration. You know, just get it back to running order. (Pause for horrified screaming. I know, I do it quite a lot.) As you surely know, it is physically painful to think of what someone who couldn’t fix my Saturn, much less how even appreciate what this is would find acceptable to get it in “running order”. And I can’t get them to trailer it out and sell it as-is.

What I was wondering is if you could give me the names of some good restoration experts. I know it would probably cost at least $100,000 - $150,000 to fully restore, but I feel that it’s important that only the best work on this car. There aren’t many of them left, after all.

Someone in Illinois would be great, but I’ll trailer this thing to Alaska if I have to.

If you or anyone reading can answer this or direct me somewhere, I would be so grateful. I’m working against the clock on this one. But no matter what, thank you so much for helping to save such a classic, beautiful car, and listening to my ramblings.

Thank you sincerely,

Krissi

Call Joe at The Bow Tie Shop in Billerica Ma. You can look him up, he has a website. He's restored quite a few of these. Don't give this gem to just anybody!

tobaccokid 03-15-2019 09:16 AM

Call Kevin Mackay, owner of Corvette Repair, Inc in Valley Stream, NY (on Long Island, about 8 miles from JFK airport).

One of the best in the US. Has won as many, or more, awards than anyone else. Absolutely fabulous work, and I'm anal, an engineer, an unbelievably detailed.
He located and restored my '67 black/black, red stinger, sidepipe, convertible. All original except it needed restoration. Won just about every award, in Bloomington Special Collection, 2nd exhibit in the Corvette Museum (before current building was built), was in a couple of commercial videos on Corvettes, and much more.
Also found and restored my Leldon Blackwell Racing 1968 Corvette IMSA/TransAm race car. Fabulous restoration. Shown twice at Amelia Island Concours, and num erous other concours. Achieved NCRS American Heritage Award. In numerous coffee table books on sports car racing.

Kevin was Bloomington's first Master Judge if I remember correctly (been a long time). Has no attitude - a rarity for anyone at the top of the pyramid. Doesn't mind answering any question or receiving suggestions - also a rarity. Most of his customers become friends. Very rare individual. Corrects any mistake he makes without hesitation.

If you need any more, send me a private note with your phone number and we can talk. There is much more to describe.

Vetteman Jack 03-15-2019 09:30 AM

Moved to C1/C2 Corvettes for more assistance.

ptjsk 03-15-2019 09:44 AM

More damn fake people!

elwood13 03-15-2019 10:13 AM

So are they wanting to sell or drive it? You say “they” won’t trailer it somewhere but you will. I’m a little confused.

Gavin65 03-15-2019 10:45 AM

Hi Krissi, welcome to the fourm, you have come to the right place, there is a wealth of information here, a 63 tanker is a rare piece indeed and would require special attention. We love pictures so if you have some dont hesetate to post them, you were given some very good advice with the last few posts, and im sure more will be fortcoming.

C.T. 03-15-2019 10:48 AM

As others have recommended, Tony Avedisian is the guy to call. The most honest, knowledgeable, and real restorer for your car. I've known Tony for 50 years - fully responsible, dependable and trustworthy.

See https://www.tonyscorvetteshop.com/

Even if you don't want a full resto, I'm sure Tony would welcome a call from you just to discuss the car.

Heck, he wrote the book!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/UZ4AA...NCM/s-l400.jpg