CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Engine Mods (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/engine-mods-7/)
-   -   Best type of piston (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/engine-mods/4252055-best-type-of-piston.html)

sstonebreaker 03-15-2019 10:23 AM

Best type of piston

When you guys have an engine built, what piston alloy do you spec? I'm spec'ing out an engine for a mild street blower build (800-ish rwhp) and after reading everything I could find online, I opted to go for 4032 alloy forged pistons. But my mechanic is having trouble finding an engine builder that will use them.

After researching, it turns out there are two commonly available alloys for forged pistons: 2618 and 4032. 2618 pistons are the gold standard as far as full on racing and detonation resistance are concerned. However, they have a couple of drawbacks - they are noisy when cold, and while it is the toughest alloy, it is also the least wear resistant.

4032 alloy is the alloy piston used by GM in the LT4 and LT5 as well as the LSX B-15 longblock. It is somewhere between cast hypereutectic and 2618 forged in terms of both toughness and wear resistance. That is, it is tougher than cast and more wear resistant than 2618. It also has the added benefit that it doesn't expand as much as 2618, making 4032 pistons quieter when cold.

So I don't understand why we're having so much trouble finding a builder to use them. I know they are marketed as a 'budget friendly' option to 2618 pistons, but for this build, they are really the superior option - I need wear resistance as much as detonation resistance. Have any of you guys had experience with both 4032 and 2618 pistons?

JE markets their 4032 pistons as SRP Professional, and Wiseco markets them as Pro Tru. Mahle doesn't market them separately from the 2618 forgings, just gives you a choice of alloys.

sstonebreaker 03-15-2019 01:20 PM

bump

d16dcoe45 06-09-2019 10:08 AM

For forced induction use, most knowledgeable builders will skip right over an SRP hih silicon 4032 piston ang straight to a zero to low silcon 2618. Obviously you will need more piston to wall clearance but frankly, if you are going to romp on it, an 800 whp build is not mild in any way, shape or form.

I would sell the 4032 and get a quality 2618 forging. Call up the different piston manufacturers and tell them EXACTLY what you plan to do with the engine.

With enough boost and heat, a 4032 piston becomes a liability. They were NOT meant for boost and high-power.

groundshaker 06-24-2019 03:52 AM

It depends on what the use is for with the car/truck. If you don't plan on racing and using Nitrous oxide the Hypereutectic pistons will be fine. KB Hypereutectic pistons or Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons are two popular brands

cv67 06-25-2019 05:22 PM

800 rwhp is stout...use the better forged piston, not all of them have piston slap. Even if it does longevity is a lot more important than a little noise for the first minute or two of run time.
Went down the same road as you with those choices yrs ago my machinist was very blunt about it lol. Some things just come with the territory..also weight can come along with strength, doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things.

My Hbeams are pretty heavy, cant tell a difference from some lightweight I beams I had but have more piece of mind when that tach swings.