CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   "Service Brakes & Brakes Worn" messages (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4252173-service-brakes-and-brakes-worn-messages.html)

Stingray Sam 03-15-2019 03:15 PM

"Service Brakes & Brakes Worn" messages

I just want to pass on a little info for those who might be getting DIC messages re your brakes.

My 2017 Grand Sport Z07 threw a couple “Service Brakes” error messages over a few days. My brake pads have a lot of meat on them. I took it into the dealer and they saw the error code in the history, but it didn’t identify which sensor had thrown the error. The tech cleaned all four sensors and they returned the car to me. I was told if it threw the error again to bring it in and they’d replace all four sensors, if necessary.

The next weekend I went to the track and while on the track I got “Brakes Worn” messages twice. I checked my pads between sessions and they were fine. On the way home I got the same message, so I took my car back to the dealer. They showed the error in the history but again there was no indication of which sensor(s) threw them. So the tech did a detailed inspection of all four sensors. Then he noticed that when the front wheels were turned to the extremes, it created a little kink in the wiring leading to the sensor. Over time, those kinks had damaged the wiring. He stripped the wiring and found the right front wire was completely cracked and the left one had started to crack. I thought that was a good find! The service consultant told me the wiring hadn’t been properly routed by the factory and you couldn’t even see the kink until the wheels were turned all the way right or left. So, they’re replacing both front sensors (wiring routed correctly) today, under warranty.

I hope this helps any of you with similar gremlins.

JockamoIPA 03-15-2019 03:30 PM

Good job done by the tech and the dealership. Old school wire troubleshooting.

Also, thanks for the heads up. I have 17 GS also so will keep an eye out.

Vetteman Jack 03-15-2019 11:20 PM

Excellent job of troubleshooting by that tech. Glad you are getting it fixed.

Stingray Sam 03-16-2019 06:44 PM

When I told a friend with a 17 GS he said “Aha! That’s what it is.” Turns out he’s started having the same issue.

As to the tech, I’m grateful for his persistence. Those chronic unresolved gremlins can get to be pretty annoying.

gliot1 03-16-2019 08:11 PM

There is no electronic sensor for brake pad wear. If you are getting a service brake warning, there is something else deeper going on, very likely in the antilock unit, or on the antilock brake sensors, which are put if the hub. An ABS code reader may pinpoint the problem.

mcoomer 03-16-2019 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by gliot1 (Post 1599057839)
There is no electronic sensor for brake pad wear. If you are getting a service brake warning, there is something else deeper going on, very likely in the antilock unit, or on the antilock brake sensors, which are put if the hub. An ABS code reader may pinpoint the problem.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. There is a pad wear indicator on the Z07. As the pads approach their end of service life, the rotor wear through the sensor wire causing the service message to appear. The faulty message is common. I’m dealing with it now and just finished checking my pads today. No trouble found so it looks like the next step is a trip to the dealer.

Mike

bankers1 03-21-2019 04:26 PM

Same thing here. 2017 GSCE A8 only 16,000 miles, lots of meat on the pads left, but I get the service light 1-2 X a week. ????

mcoomer 03-21-2019 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by bankers1 (Post 1599085588)
Same thing here. 2017 GSCE A8 only 16,000 miles, lots of meat on the pads left, but I get the service light 1-2 X a week. ????

Mine is at the dealer now, and as luck would have it the light came on and was witnessed by the service advisor. No way they can say "could not duplicate" now. I'll let you know what they find but I'm in the same boat as you. Lots of pad and intermittent message.

Edit: Dealer just called and they have replaced the front passenger side sensor. Wire was misrouted and had worn through.

Stingray Sam 03-28-2019 06:37 PM

Mike, glad this helped you. Looks like they routed yours incorrectly at the factory, too.

the blur 09-26-2021 07:21 PM

I just got this message. Plenty of meat on the pads. Are the sensors an easy replacement ? My warranty has ran out.

Theron4569 09-26-2021 09:00 PM

I had the same issue. Sensor replaced, problem solved. If happens again will remove the sensors. Just a pita anyway.

Ron

the blur 09-27-2021 07:28 AM

There is a service bulletin I saw on corvette action center. Applies to 2016-2017 CCB only. Module needs a reprogramming.