CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Correct Terminology (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4252441-correct-terminology.html)

Skeetshooter 03-16-2019 02:00 PM

Correct Terminology

I know I am new to the Corvette world, (over from the Porsche world), but I'd like to correct the 'rubber bumper' myth. Actually what covers the 5 mph sub-structure is called a fascia. It seems there is a hatred, maybe a bit too strong of a word, but certainly there seems to be a prejudice against the first facia cars. I will admit the rear of my '79 leaves a lot to be desired in the styling department but with the help of the factory optional spoiler it looks much better. To me the front is beautiful. And I'll add Chevrolet did a much better job than a lot of the other OEMs covering all the 5 mph sub-structures. Think about it... Corvettes have now had facias, (rubber bumpers), for over 45 years.
If you look at a same era Porsche they do have bumpers, albeit 5 mph bumpers. Heavy bumpers with shock absorbers behind them. AND huge, heavy, and ugly bumperettes. Also, the same 'prejudice' exists in the Porsche world. But there, the 'long hood crowd' frowns on the short hood cars, (5mph bumper cars).
To finish this semi-rant... Yes the chrome bumper cars are stunning but don't discount the infant engineering & design that was forced on the OEMs in the first safety era of car manufacturing.
Now if the community is using rubber bumpers as a slang then this is all moot. Kinda like saying motor for engine.
Thanks for listening.

Jon Hekking 03-16-2019 02:18 PM

I prefer the term “disco Vettes”. I can have most any vette I want but I always come back to these. These are the cars I lusted after in my youth.

hdal 03-16-2019 02:43 PM

Skeet,great terminology! I couldn't have done better! I own a near perfect 78' SA,both bmprs are mint and flow well. Hdal

74_stingray 03-16-2019 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking (Post 1599056073)
These are the cars I lusted after in my youth.

Yes, exactly!
I love all C3 Corvettes, each of the three iterations. I am partial to the rubber bumper cars and I like the 74-77 without spoilers, the 74-77 sugar scoop Corvettes are what left an indelible impression upon me. I was around C1’s and C2’s regularly as a young man and influenced by those cars as well.
I don’t knock any of the C3’s.
Eddy

oldgto 03-17-2019 08:06 AM

Plastic, rubber, it`s just not shiny metal. I wouldn`t call it hatred, and prejudice I never understood, because there is no wrong answer. It`s all just personal preference. Just like makes, models, body styles, and color. I would never accept gray or silver car with red interior. Hideous. But some people love that combo. I don`t care for mopar products, but they have a huge following. I think your summary is spot on...."rubber bumpers" is just a slang term, like so many others that may sound derogatory to fans of a particular model.... like the "shoe-box" Chevies, or "Thunder-Chicken" Pontiac people.
I think what you`re talking about is a lack of acceptance by a certain segment of the hobby. While there is certainly some good natured ribbing amoungst hobbyists, some people of narrow mind are very passionate about their favorite, and discount everything else as junk. Myself, I like & appreciate most all vehicles at least a little bit. But the one I LOVE the most is the one that caught my eye as a young teenager.... the chrome bumper "shark" body Corvette. To me, they lost something when they were forced to design around those silly crash bumpers. I felt the same for the Mustang.... the 67 & 68 had the best looking tail panel of all of them. Before & after that... I didn`t care for them. But rather than make a big fuss, and point out how wrong it is, I simply shrug, and move on to something I`d rather see more of.

Skeetshooter 03-17-2019 01:19 PM

I agree with all the above. Disco Vettes? I guess they are! Never thought about it but yes.

jackson 03-17-2019 04:56 PM

afaik, short hood-long hood has much more to do with having a wiper door than not

so what's the difference between a porsche & a porcupine? ... a bumper or ....

Skeetshooter 03-17-2019 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by jackson (Post 1599061923)
afaik, short hood-long hood has much more to do with having a wiper door than not

so what's the difference between a porsche & a porcupine? ... A bumper or ....

???

???

vettebuyer6369 03-17-2019 06:46 PM

Good luck trying to “correct” Corvette owners on slang they have used for decades, based on what correct for Porsche folks.

Skeetshooter 03-17-2019 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369 (Post 1599062379)
Good luck trying to “correct” Corvette owners on slang they have used for decades, based on what correct for Porsche folks.

In no way am I trying to correct anything. Just making an observation.

cv67 03-17-2019 10:30 PM

Hope the rubber bumper cars are looked down on and stay cheap forever so I can pick up one cheap. Like something about all of them & can appreciate most cars from that era

Bikespace 03-18-2019 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette (Post 1599063460)
Hope the rubber bumper cars are looked down on and stay cheap forever so I can pick up one cheap. Like something about all of them & can appreciate most cars from that era

Shhhhh! Keep it a secret that a modified rubber bumper C3 is just as good, if not better, than chrome! With some simple mods, you can get better performance, and benefit from 10+ years of GM improvements, not just their emission and safety workarounds. And you can make improvements free of NCRS guilt!

My 79 has fiberglass fascias, and my 80 urethane. They will always be bubble-window, rubber bumper C3s.

Skeetshooter 03-18-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bikespace (Post 1599064422)
They will always be bubble-window, rubber bumper C3s.

Agree 100%. I'm having a re-paint done on mine as we speak. I also went with the fiberglass fascias. And that is fine.

theandies 03-18-2019 10:12 AM

I love ALL Corvettes so there's that. I'll stick with rubber bumper.

L-46man 03-18-2019 12:24 PM

Well ACTUALLY they're URETHANE...so if we're going to be accurate....URETHANE BUMPERED CARS would be the term I would use.

I own both, 'chrome' and 'urethane'.

URETHANE/FOAM/STEEL.

There is no 'rubber' there at all.

UnkaHal

60 SHARK 03-18-2019 12:55 PM

""I know I am new to the Corvette world, (over from the Porsche world), but I'd like to correct the 'rubber bumper' myth. Actually what covers the 5 mph sub-structure is called a fascia. ""
""Now if the community is using rubber bumpers as a slang then this is all moot. Kinda like saying motor for engine.-""

Most all thoughts and ideas are welcome here.
Welcome to the C3 world,,
Remember when you were new to the Porsche world, and a new-bee tried to correct you,, your hair may have stood up, you looked sideways at the coment,,it happens, , Just keep in mind, as long as you have imperfect humans involved, you will find all the flaws, prejudice, incorrect thinking, and especially options, that are contrary to yours,,
So, I guess you got it right when you stated " this is all moot". :beatdeadhorse:
Glad to have ya here,, where you can say what you think, and get ripped to shreds with out prejudice or hurt feelings, ,, , LOL, ,, , :boxing
At least we can be entertaining, IMHO, teddy

OBX C3 03-18-2019 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking (Post 1599056073)
I prefer the term “disco Vettes”. I can have most any vette I want but I always come back to these. These are the cars I lusted after in my youth.

My friend this is the truth.

thatcorvetteguy 03-18-2019 11:50 PM

80-82 have always been one of my favorite. If I could find a real good deal on a 82 CE I'd buy it and leave my chrome bumper in the garage.

Jon Hekking 03-19-2019 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by OBX C3 (Post 1599068875)
My friend this is the truth.

Yup, I enjoy my C6 but love having a C3, they get the looks.:thumbs:

Haggisbash 03-19-2019 06:07 AM

I dont have any particularl dislike of the plastic ended C3's but to me the front overhasng is too long compared to the earlier design and I prefer the kamm tail look rather that the the sloped design. Overall though I think that the GM stylists dis a very good job of the design change needed to accomodate the 5mph bumpers. The original posters mention of the Porsche ones got me curious so I had a look at one and I thought they look like a real tacked on afterthought but nothing compared to some of the " buffers" they fitted to various sedans of the period.