CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   Alky Control Question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/4252647-alky-control-question.html)

marco383 03-17-2019 07:51 AM

Alky Control Question

My Procharged C5 is equipped with an Alky Control meth system, and for a bunch of reasons, spends months sitting in my garage.For the second time in the past year, I got the "low washer fluid" warning, and the reservoir is close to empty. Since I haven't run the car often or hard enough to be using much meth, is it possible that it just evaporated, or should I suspect a leak?

69GTO96Z 03-17-2019 08:06 AM

Straight methanol will evaporate very quickly.

SmoothFRC 03-17-2019 08:15 AM

How long have you had the system? Ive needed to send my pump out about every 2 years for a rebuild due to 100% wearing the seals away.

StatmanRN 03-17-2019 08:53 AM

You may have a leak at the tank seal. I havent had signifigant evaporation even parked in the hot FL sun.

vrybad 03-17-2019 09:06 AM

I found the same thing on the car I bought that has an Alky Control kit on it.
I do think the pump needs a rebuild since I have seen some leakage below the pump but to tackle what I think is heavy evaporation, I just put a piece of double-layer saran wrap over the washer fill hole and closed the cap.
Been like that over the winter and the reservoir is still full, so it must have worked.

edit-to be clear, take the plastic wrap off the reservoir before driving the car.

aaronc7 03-17-2019 09:40 AM

How many months? If it was summer in a hot dry climate I might say evaporation....but winter time for a couple months no way...then I would be looking for a small slow leak.

Water_Walker 03-17-2019 10:42 PM

Is it possible for the nozzle to be mounted below the tank, thus allowing for the meth. to be fed into the engine without the pump running?

silver408z 03-18-2019 07:19 AM

There is supposed to be a check valve to stop it. I had a check valve go bad on my car. Possible you have the same problem.

Originally Posted by Water_Walker (Post 1599063511)
Is it possible for the nozzle to be mounted below the tank, thus allowing for the meth. to be fed into the engine without the pump running?

vrybad 03-18-2019 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Water_Walker (Post 1599063511)

To my recollection the installation instructions do say to mount the nozzles as high as possible to avoid siphoning or something to that effect.

Turpid porpoise 03-18-2019 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by silver408z (Post 1599064197)
There is supposed to be a check valve to stop it. I had a check valve go bad on my car. Possible you have the same problem.

The check valve is supposed to stop charge air from flowing back towards the meth pump, it doesn’t stop from from flowing out.

aaronc7 03-18-2019 11:07 AM

Yes it will, the spring will keep the valve shut unless pressure overcomes it... IIRC it's around 30psi check valve on most of these?

On my setup, I ran the check valve/nozzle to the ground and let it sit overnight, no drip or wetness. If OP is running one at all, it's possible it's gone bad

Turpid porpoise 03-18-2019 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by aaronc7 (Post 1599065195)
Yes it will, the spring will keep the valve shut unless pressure overcomes it... IIRC it's around 30psi check valve on most of these?

On my setup, I ran the check valve/nozzle to the ground and let it sit overnight, no drip or wetness. If OP is running one at all, it's possible it's gone bad

I stand corrected, just checked his website and it says it has a 10 psi cracking pressure.

aaronc7 03-18-2019 04:53 PM

10 psi, that does sound more reasonable. I was doing some math regarding what height of water would be required to crack a 30psi valve and it was some huge amount. We're getting a little off topic, but if I had my tank well above the nozzle I would definitely consider a solenoid in series or in place of the check valve.