CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   NCRS Judging -- Windshields & Tires (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4252659-ncrs-judging-windshields-and-tires.html)

Shoevette 03-17-2019 08:52 AM

NCRS Judging -- Windshields & Tires

I am looking into readying a ZR-1 for NCRS judging. I have never been through the process so please excuse me if these are overly simple questions. This is a super low mileage car with everything but the battery being original (original battery preserved). Number one is replacing the delaminating windshield. How would the use of a (less expensive) aftermarket windshield impact scoring? Also, the original tires look great but are not suitable for driving. Thoughts? What should the car wear of judging? How big of a penalty is assessed for decent modern rubber?

Bajaholic 03-17-2019 09:42 AM

My personal recommendation is get a second set of tires/wheels for driving the car, Keep the original tires for judging and put them on when you get there. Though they may not be suitable for everyday driving, the historical value is always the best when judging.

The windshield, Why would you want a cheep knock off on a valuable car? There is not that much difference in price? Seems like a no brainer decision too me. Go with the correct one.

I realize when keeping a historical car correct costs more in the short run, but in the long run, it is a move you will take pride in as the years go buy...

Bottom line, if your goal is too have the car judged for Top Flight, Correct is the only way to go.

jrd1990zr1 03-17-2019 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shoevette (Post 1599059582)
I am looking into readying a ZR-1 for NCRS judging. I have never been through the process so please excuse me if these are overly simple questions. This is a super low mileage car with everything but the battery being original (original battery preserved). Number one is replacing the delaminating windshield. How would the use of a (less expensive) aftermarket windshield impact scoring? Also, the original tires look great but are not suitable for driving. Thoughts? What should the car wear of judging? How big of a penalty is assessed for decent modern rubber?

Get yourself a NCRS judging guide for the MY from NCRS. I think some other vendors sell them too.

Make sure your replacement battery is the correct AC Delco service replacement to minimize the point reduction.

Any replacement windshield out there would cause you to lose originality points. Minor delamination on an original windshield should only cause the lose of a few condition points.

Use the original wheels and tires for the judging event. Buy a spare set for "other" driving. I am not sure how the Chief judge would react to changing tires on the judging field?

The biggest point hit for your car, if all original could come from operations. Make sure everything works (get the judging manual).

Have a battery disconnect, fire extinguisher and NCRS sticker to gain the 10 bonus points. Drive the car to the meet for the driving points.

Bring all of the "extras" that came with the car with you. Window sticker, build sheet, pizza box, spare keys with knockouts, green or clear bag for tire lock nuts, etc. Judging guide will tell you specifically what you need for your MY.

Take the car to a local chapter event and see how you do. You can always correct things before a second event.

Good luck

ZR1Bob 03-18-2019 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by jrd1990zr1 (Post 1599060113)
Get yourself a NCRS judging guide for the MY from NCRS. I think some other vendors sell them too.

Make sure your replacement battery is the correct AC Delco service replacement to minimize the point reduction.

Any replacement windshield out there would cause you to lose originality points. Minor delamination on an original windshield should only cause the lose of a few condition points.

Use the original wheels and tires for the judging event. Buy a spare set for "other" driving. I am not sure how the Chief judge would react to changing tires on the judging field?

The biggest point hit for your car, if all original could come from operations. Make sure everything works (get the judging manual).

Have a battery disconnect, fire extinguisher and NCRS sticker to gain the 10 bonus points. Drive the car to the meet for the driving points.

Bring all of the "extras" that came with the car with you. Window sticker, build sheet, pizza box, spare keys with knockouts, green or clear bag for tire lock nuts, etc. Judging guide will tell you specifically what you need for your MY.

Take the car to a local chapter event and see how you do. You can always correct things before a second event.

Good luck

Excellent advice. But very difficult to get an original replacement windshield although there may be a few still around in the $2,000-$3,000 range. I would just take a small risk on condition points with the delamination, unless it s so bad it makes the car undriveable. --Bob

bb62 03-19-2019 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob (Post 1599065112)
Excellent advice. But very difficult to get an original replacement windshield although there may be a few still around in the $2,000-$3,000 range. I would just take a small risk on condition points with the delamination, unless it s so bad it makes the car undriveable. --Bob

:iagree: Knowing the NCRS types as I do, they will be more willing to give higher points for the original windshield than for any replacement that is not an OEM date coded windshield. As above, I understand that originals are extremely rare, if not impossible to find.

RossGN 03-19-2019 09:41 AM

I will be replacing the windshield in my '94, next month. If it comes out undamaged, it's available to anyone who wants it. It is delaminated, though.

Joelbbvette 03-19-2019 07:45 PM

NCRS Flight Judging

Lots of good advice given and I'll add my two cents based on One Chapter Meet (99.0), One Regional Meet (98.1) and having passed my Performance Verification with my 90 ZR-1 with 11.8K miles, I also have a 94 Convertible with a Dave Hill Award.

Points for originality are always equal or higher than condition so I would keep the original windshield.
For Flight judging you will do better with original tires than any replacements (other than OEM).
For PV you can run later model tires as long as they are the same size and construction (radials)
As for the battery you need the car to start or you lose 25 points quickly on operations so go with an AC Delco same size and amperage.
You do NOT need the Pizza Box as that was mailed to the owner and not delivered with the car.
You only need to bring one roof even if the car came with two, they only judge one.
Make certain all works for the operations including the Cassette Player and CD player (you have to bring these)
Bring the extra 4 lug nuts if the locks are installed.
All paperwork (or as much as you have) called out in the judging manual.
Get an NCRS sticker on the car, battery cut off and a fire extinguisher (with the car, not mounted) for your 10 bonus points.
While NCRS is not a white glove event, clean the car and detail all areas but do not over gloss the car.

Try to remember to have fun.

Hope this helps,
Joel