CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   C5 Fault System Charge Message (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4252706-c5-fault-system-charge-message.html)

Dblock23 03-17-2019 12:23 PM

C5 Fault System Charge Message

Bought a 99 C5 a month ago. Went to start it up and it was completely dead got a jump start took it to auto zone they said it was a bad battery and alternator got both replaced. Drove it for a bit and kept getting the fault system charge message. Took it to the mechanic they said everything was fine. Woke up this morning and it’s dead again. Any ideas what’s going on ?? Please help

coletrickle35 03-17-2019 12:31 PM

Check the on-off button to the left of your steering wheel make sure you're not leaving the interior light on.

Remove the battery put it on a battery charger see if it takes a full charge.

Replace the battery start the vehicle and go into your driver information center. Check the voltage in your D I C.

This is a start be patient and another member will post the next few steps. GL

Smoken1 03-17-2019 12:58 PM

Go get your old alt. back and have that one rebuilt... Auto-zone sells generic alternators and they fit alot of different GM cars.. Your C5 take a very specific alternator

BigGun 03-17-2019 02:54 PM

That specific alternator is very expensive if you can even find one. Try to get your old one back!

C5 Diag 03-17-2019 02:55 PM

Well it looks like you may have had one issue with your C5 that turned into two !!...I wouldn’t put that much faith in what Autozone said !!...you may have had a “parasitic draw” on your battery killing it overnight initially and now after installing the new maybe “incorrect” alternator now you are getting the “charge system fault” !!...I’m only assuming you don’t do your own maintenance so # 1 get your old alternator back and rebuilt if you can and then take it back to your mechanic and see if you do have a parasitic draw on your new battery !!

GCG 03-17-2019 03:07 PM

:iagree:

Get back your old alternator and have it tested again.

If you are going to take the rebuilt route, take a look at this post. It has info on the right regulators for both, 97-01 and 02-04. The price is around $30.

This other post has detailed info on the rebuild procedure and links to get the other parts.

MikeG37 03-17-2019 06:05 PM

I just cringe every time I hear that a C5 owner has turned their alternator in as a core.

I have an older gentleman neighbor that has a '98 that I do a lot of his regular maintenance stuff on, he went through the same deal a couple years ago, Autozone sold him a battery AND an alternator (which he didn't need).. by the time he told me it way too late. :(

Grandpa1 03-18-2019 06:41 AM

Man, it's sad that GM didn't warn people about this. There are a lot of people that just can't afford to take their car to a dealer and go the auto parts store route. The salesmen there can't be faulted.
Sad story.