CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Anyone tried bead maker? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/4253315-anyone-tried-bead-maker.html)

FYRARMS 06-30-2019 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by charley95 (Post 1599669068)
I'm getting odd results from my BM. I'm getting spots and splotchy results but my cars are C Coated and it's not mixing well with it. What's strange is my bud and I use the same products on our cars and he loves it and his cars are all C coated. The only difference is all his cars are Dodge and mine are Lexus. I'm almost thinking I got a bad batch of product. I'm just not sure what to think. I have the weirdest luck with products.

That is really weird. While it may lessen the hydrophobic properties of ceramic coatings, it is definitely okay to use on top of them. I have never heard of Bead Maker being spotty or splotchy, either. The worst thing I have heard is that it can streak when being applied in direct sunlight on hot panels, but that is usually true of anything, really.

I know you know what you are doing as far as application goes, so I am not sure why yours is being weird and your friend's isn't. Have you tried using your bottle on another car? Maybe one not ceramic coated?

CDNZ 06-30-2019 10:25 PM

I corrected my paint, applied Collinite 915 and followed up with BeadMaker. I have been using BeadMaker as a drying aid each time I "wash" the car. I say "wash" because all I basically do is rinse the car off with water to get rid of the bit of dust that gets on the car from driving, along with whatever else the car picks up from normal use. The car has had BM applied to it probably 5-7 times since full correction and I use it liberally.

Other than all the other attributes we have all discussed, I noticed that bugs (some make contact with the car at very high velocity ;) ) that have been on the car say, overnight, just a touch of a finger and the bug splatter literally slides right off, virtually no trace. I don't clean them off this way (dry) but I did try with a finger to see how bonded they would be...not bonded well at all! That slickness I love about BM seems to act like Teflon for the bug guts and goo that inevitably accumulates on the forward facing portions of the car as we drive. Love the BM!

charley95 07-01-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1599671217)
That is really weird. While it may lessen the hydrophobic properties of ceramic coatings, it is definitely okay to use on top of them. I have never heard of Bead Maker being spotty or splotchy, either. The worst thing I have heard is that it can streak when being applied in direct sunlight on hot panels, but that is usually true of anything, really.

I know you know what you are doing as far as application goes, so I am not sure why yours is being weird and your friend's isn't. Have you tried using your bottle on another car? Maybe one not ceramic coated?

I haven't tried it on a non coated car. I'm not giving up on it yet. I do use it on the door jambs and non coated wheels which look amazing with it and the windows. I'm just thinking since both my cars are freshly coated it's not mixing well with the fresh coating. I'm hoping that after a few washes that it might knock the freshness of the coating down and maybe get better results from it. I want it to work since I got a gallon of it.

walker3 07-03-2019 06:46 PM

so which Beadmaker is this - how / where do I order from?

SouthBaySurfer 07-04-2019 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by walker3 (Post 1599692173)
so which Beadmaker is this - how / where do I order from?

Renny Doyle Double Black Bead Maker Paint Protectant. I get it at Autogeek.com(a forum sponsor); $33 for a gallon. Enter coupon code J4TH19 for 25% off today. Great product at a very reasonable price.

walker3 07-04-2019 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer (Post 1599695477)
Renny Doyle Double Black Bead Maker Paint Protectant. I get it at Autogeek.com(a forum sponsor); $33 for a gallon. Enter coupon code J4TH19 for 25% off today. Great product at a very reasonable price.

Thanks - just placed the order -

Jill Hempel 08-08-2019 01:41 PM

Splotchy/streaks on hood.

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1599671217)

I just applied Bead Maker after watching and reading all the great reviews. I also got streaks, primarily on the hood. After noticing this, I sprayed the a small amount of product on a clean microfiber, applied this to the streaked areas, and wiped off with another clean microfiber. Now I have streaks AND splotches. Car was washed and dried in a shaded garage (but it’s been 90+ here with high humidity for weeks). Was it the heat/humidity that caused this? Does this happen if too much product was applied initially? I didn’t let it dwell on the car for more than a minute. Any tips for how to get rid of the streaks or splotches? It definitely does NOT look shiny or glossy.

FYRARMS 08-08-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jill Hempel (Post 1599930338)
I just applied Bead Maker after watching and reading all the great reviews. I also got streaks, primarily on the hood. After noticing this, I sprayed the a small amount of product on a clean microfiber, applied this to the streaked areas, and wiped off with another clean microfiber. Now I have streaks AND splotches. Car was washed and dried in a shaded garage (but it’s been 90+ here with high humidity for weeks). Was it the heat/humidity that caused this? Does this happen if too much product was applied initially? I didn’t let it dwell on the car for more than a minute. Any tips for how to get rid of the streaks or splotches? It definitely does NOT look shiny or glossy.

Humidity can cause streaking with any product. I have even had issues with simple detail sprays and spray waxes when it is humid. Regardless of the humidity, I wouldn't really let Bead Maker dwell. Just simply spray it on, spread it out with one towel, and buff dry with a second towel. One panel at a time.

What are you applying the Bead Maker on top of? What is your base protection on your car?

Jill Hempel 08-08-2019 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1599930383)
Humidity can cause streaking with any product. I have even had issues with simple detail sprays and spray waxes when it is humid. Regardless of the humidity, I wouldn't really let Bead Maker dwell. Just simply spray it on, spread it out with one towel, and buff dry with a second towel. One panel at a time.

What are you applying the Bead Maker on top of? What is your base protection on your car?

I used Adam’s Iron Remover, clayed it, polished it with an Adam’s Polish (just the regular one). No ceramic coating. I wanted to see what this would do on its own. I think it might be the humidity, and that I applied more product to the hood. I wasn’t planning on letting it dwell at all; I just dropped my clean microfiber on the floor and had to go grab a new one from my stash. 🙄 I’m hoping that after it cures for several hours that it will incorporate into the clear coat and give the gloss that everyone loves.

FYRARMS 08-08-2019 04:08 PM

Yeah, it is most likely the humidity coupled with the longer dwell time. I can't think of any other reason why it would be streaky or splotchy. I haven't noticed any issues on either of my cars, even with this summer's humidity to be honest. I didn't apply any to bare paint, though. My daily wears a sealant and my Z06 wears wax. The Bead Maker is used as a topper.

You will definitely notice added gloss after a few hours, and even more the day after. I would try applying more to your hood when the humidity comes down. Another wipe-down should even out any streaks or splotches.

Jill Hempel 08-08-2019 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1599931310)
Yeah, it is most likely the humidity coupled with the longer dwell time. I can't think of any other reason why it would be streaky or splotchy. I haven't noticed any issues on either of my cars, even with this summer's humidity to be honest. I didn't apply any to bare paint, though. My daily wears a sealant and my Z06 wears wax. The Bead Maker is used as a topper.

You will definitely notice added gloss after a few hours, and even more the day after. I would try applying more to your hood when the humidity comes down. Another wipe-down should even out any streaks or splotches.

Thanks for your replies! Fingers crossed!

walker3 08-08-2019 10:16 PM

I have had many streak when I do it late with the humidity - but using bead maker at normal times - no streaking, looks great, works great

I put bead maker on 1/2 of my F-150 hood, and C-Magic on the other half - so far no difference -

JonMN 08-10-2019 03:20 PM

With Bead Maker (or other similar products) do you need to protect the edges on your PPF? The reason I ask is that I made a couple annoying (and expensive) mistakes in the past, once with a paste wax along a seam and another time with clay-bar along an edge. Of course I tried to get the residue off and ended up forcing it under the edges. (I know I should have used masking tape, but I thought I could get by without it. Doh!)

FYRARMS 08-10-2019 11:37 PM

I had old-school 3M PPF on my previous C5Z. I regularly used spray waxes on it and never had issues. I kept paste products away from edges, however. Much more difficult to remove.

FYRARMS 08-18-2019 02:33 PM

Heads-up!

Autogeek has Bead Maker on sale for $28 per gallon. PLUS today you get 25% off! :rock:

EASonBASS 08-27-2019 07:12 PM

BM shine!
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1e8933400.jpeg

walker3 08-30-2019 09:22 PM

The only neg about bead maker is - I purchased a gallon and a spray bottle full - works as stated - love it - but the spray bottle is defective - when you get 1/2 way it stops spraying (hole in the tube I am guessing) so I refill with the gallon and it works again - once my gallon is up - I will need to fine another spray bottle or will not be able to use the last half

FYRARMS 08-31-2019 12:37 AM

The black spray heads everyone uses on their 16oz bottles are cheap crap. They are all the same. I bought some of these spray heads that CarPro sells, and they work much better. 3-pack for $4 and there is a 25% off sale going on now...

https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-sprayer-3pack.html

Drklingler 09-19-2019 09:12 AM

Here’s another testament to Beadmaker.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9600bb75d.jpeg

This is actually the shady side of the car but it shows off the gloss and almost wet look that Beadmaker added.

This is is a new 2019 that I washed, clayed and put Turtle Wax Seal n Shine on a couple weeks ago. Washed it again this weekend and then put Beadmaker on it.

It was very easy to apply and I’m super pleased with the results.

FYRARMS 09-19-2019 01:11 PM

Looks great! :rock:

In my opinion, Turtle Wax ICE "Seal 'N Shine" topped with Bead Maker is the ultimately combo for anyone looking for the fastest and easiest way to protect your paint and to make it look amazing at the same time.