CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Selective Ride Control a MUST? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4253327-selective-ride-control-a-must.html)

Stroh 03-19-2019 08:54 AM

Selective Ride Control a MUST?

I'm looking at buying a 2004 Commemorative Edition convertible. There are a couple of really nice, low mile candidates within a 10 hour drive. Only one has selective ride control. How big of a deal is that? Is there a really noticeable difference?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0728da8dbe.jpg

The car that has it is the furthest away (of course). I'm wondering if it's worth going the extra mile(s).

As always, thank you for your input.:thumbs:

Sean_emory 03-19-2019 09:23 AM

I have it and wish I didn’t. Not that functional after 14 years and the shocks cost 2-3 grand to replace. You will end up just putting in regular shocks and rendering the whole system useless. Oh and not to mention you will have to either buy simulators or spend money tuning the feature out of your car since if you install normal shocks without simulators it will send the car into limp mode. My advise is buy one without it.

Nice choice btw, I have a 04 CE coupe.

dbgoodwin 03-19-2019 09:43 AM

More like a “must avoid” for me :rofl:

even the z06 doesn’t have a “rattle your brain” suspension, it’s more than comfortable enough for daily driving and commuting.

arthursc2 03-19-2019 09:46 AM

Would not put the effort into buying it, but if you ended up with active ride on a car, I am sure you wont hate it

Wouldnt put the effort into finding a car that explicitly has it tho

grampi50 03-19-2019 09:49 AM

I'm looking to buy a C5 too and I try to avoid cars with this option...it's just something else that can go wrong and is expensive to fix...

2k2wranglerx 03-19-2019 11:14 AM

I really wanted it...

Then i eliminated it lol. wish it hadn't had it but it is what it is.

bonzo 03-19-2019 11:55 AM

my CE 04 has it or had it. Never could tell the difference between settings and this past year it was time for new shocks. 4K to replace all around so went with C6 Z06 shocks for less than $400 installed including reprogram to fool the computer into think the sensors are still operating etc..

So no you really don't need them, its a :: if the car already has it type option

4XLR8N 03-19-2019 12:08 PM

As said above, very expensive to repair. I would actually look for a car without it...

JR-01 03-19-2019 12:42 PM

I have it. Never used it.

Stroh 03-19-2019 02:10 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! This forum rocks. \

I knew those in the know had to have an informed opinion on this. Much appreciated.

The closest car is looking better and better. And it's only 4 hours away. I'll have an 04 CE vert in my garage by the end of next week for sure. WITHOUT the selective ride.

4XLR8N 03-19-2019 02:58 PM

:cool: :thumbs:

Now...the way you pay us back is with pics!

We'll be waiting...:cheers:

gimp 03-19-2019 03:31 PM

I took my F55 out and threw it in the trash. After 80k+ miles, it was complete garbage. I don't know if it was complete garbage when new, but from what I hear, they made it more for comfort than performance.

Tenshots1 03-19-2019 04:23 PM

I went to this forum before purchasing a corvette and was so happy i did. I found one without the stupid selective ride. Now I just need to find some to upgrade the shocks to bilsteins.

coletrickle35 03-19-2019 04:37 PM

I haven't noticed a difference between tour and Sport. Nice to push the button and turn off traction control just feels more real without traction control but other times I want it on. I say go for it and get the one with Selective ride

Tsumi 03-19-2019 05:22 PM

On my F45 system, I felt that having larger sway bars (C6 Z51 front and rear) made the different settings more pronounced. I plan to upgrade them to F55, which should be better.

F55 shocks new are about 1600 for the set. Many F55 Corvettes have shock stuffers that the dealer never removed, which make the ride harsh.

I like it because mine is (was) a daily driver and comfort with the ability to tighten up on the fly is worth it to me.

LTCHAPPA 03-19-2019 06:29 PM

Not worth it because repair cost is high,there is a noticeable difference between the 2 settings.Just add C6 sway bars to a C5 to help in handling.

LTCHAPPA 03-19-2019 06:42 PM

I have all available options on my 2003 when I got it new. Ride control and heads up are a waste and don’t add value when you sell.Those two expensive options are just trouble waiting to happen. Just my opinion.

dleibman 03-19-2019 07:33 PM

Understand rockauto sells the oem shocks for around $380. each. Read on 03 AE Forum. Still pricey.

C5MSG2004Vert 03-19-2019 07:42 PM

F55 system

I have it on my 04 convertible and can easily notice the difference between the sport and touring mode. Touring mode reminds me of a car with worn shocks. It really softens up the rear. Front not so much. I only use touring mode when the roads are in bad shape, which is often in NJ. Sport mode is stiff enough and car handle's fine in that mode on the street. Plan on installing Z06 sway bars, will see how it helps the handling

Tsumi 03-19-2019 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pdbrains (Post 1599074206)
I have it on my 04 convertible and can easily notice the difference between the sport and touring mode. Touring mode reminds me of a car with worn shocks. It really softens up the rear. Front not so much. I only use touring mode when the roads are in bad shape, which is often in NJ. Sport mode is stiff enough and car handle's fine in that mode on the street. Plan on installing Z06 sway bars, will see how it helps the handling

While you're in there, check to make sure your front shock stuffers have been pulled out. It wouldn't surprise me if the dealer pulled out the two rear ones and not the two front ones.