CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Audio/Electronics (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics-20/)
-   -   Music playback - USB Flash Drive vs Micro SD (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics/4253681-music-playback-usb-flash-drive-vs-micro-sd.html)

Turbo6TA 03-20-2019 06:00 AM

Music playback - USB Flash Drive vs Micro SD

I have a bunch of MP3 songs on my desktop computer's hard drive. I have downloaded these songs to a USB flash drive and play them in my other car (Hyundai Sonata).

Since my 2011 GS has no USB slot, I have been only able to play these songs using the CD player in the car .... However, I just ordered a Kenwood DNX575S head unit that has both a USB slot and a Micro SD (SDHC, SDXC) slot.

My question ... Will the music sound just as good played from a Micro SC card vs played from a USB flash drive?

I am thinking of buying a cheap Micro SD reader, and then transferring these MP3 songs from my desktop computer to a Micro SC card and using that in the Kenwood DNX575S I am installing in the Corvette .... (not even using the USB)

Is my thinking ok ?

_Nomad_ 03-22-2019 02:31 AM

Since all you will be doing is storing music on them, there is no real difference that would concern you. They both use non-volatile memory. The Micro SD will fit in a slot unseen, whereas a USB Flash Drive will stick out from wherever your USB slot is. If you use Micro SD, I suggest getting a Class 10.

Turbo6TA 03-22-2019 07:43 AM

Nomad ....

Thanks alot for the info on the Micro SD

As far as the USB slot ... I am going to mount the USB socket in one of those holes that's in the front part of the center console of the car.

I just ordered this USB connector to do that ...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....UL._SX466_.jpg

_Nomad_ 03-23-2019 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA (Post 1599088551)
Nomad ....

Thanks alot for the info on the Micro SD

As far as the USB slot ... I am going to mount the USB socket in one of those holes that's in the front part of the center console of the car.

I just ordered this USB connector to do that ...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....UL._SX466_.jpg

Cool, then perhaps you could use the Micro SD card to play music from, and the USB port to plug your phone into. That Kenwood has both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Good luck on your install. :thumbs:

jcgunn 03-23-2019 07:31 PM

I use an SD card in my Pioneer 7200BT. It is loaded with 1200+ songs set on random. It works/sounds great. The only issue I had was the 255 songs (old DOS limitation) max in any directory. So, I just loaded 200 songs or so in 6 different directories (A, B, C, etc.) and set the unit to play all and it works great.

jrprich 03-25-2019 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by jcgunn (Post 1599097408)
I use an SD card in my Pioneer 7200BT. It is loaded with 1200+ songs set on random. It works/sounds great. The only issue I had was the 255 songs (old DOS limitation) max in any directory. So, I just loaded 200 songs or so in 6 different directories (A, B, C, etc.) and set the unit to play all and it works great.

'The only issue I had was the 255 songs (old DOS limitation) max in any directory"

Does this DOS limitation apply to all head units?

Thanks,
Jim

jcgunn 03-25-2019 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jrprich (Post 1599103716)
'The only issue I had was the 255 songs (old DOS limitation) max in any directory"

Does this DOS limitation apply to all head units?

Thanks,
Jim

I don't know. It has to do with the FAT32 format of the SD card. No more than 255 files in the root directory.

jrprich 03-31-2019 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by jcgunn (Post 1599108421)
I don't know. It has to do with the FAT32 format of the SD card. No more than 255 files in the root directory.

Hmmm, I have the same problem using my USB drive. I have about 1,500 songs recorded in FLAC format on my USB drive with none in folders. But the Kenwood only seems to find a few hundred to play. The same thing happened when I used Mp3 files.
Same issue with a Sony HU in my van. Would really like to be able to randomly access all the songs on my drives.
??????????????
Jim

jcgunn 04-06-2019 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by jrprich (Post 1599145761)
Hmmm, I have the same problem using my USB drive. I have about 1,500 songs recorded in FLAC format on my USB drive with none in folders. But the Kenwood only seems to find a few hundred to play. The same thing happened when I used Mp3 files.
Same issue with a Sony HU in my van. Would really like to be able to randomly access all the songs on my drives.
??????????????
Jim

Try making several directories and see what happens

jrprich 04-06-2019 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by jcgunn (Post 1599179434)
Try making several directories and see what happens

Thanks,
So just divide the songs into folders of about 200 songs per folder?
Jim