CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Hood louver cover (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4253881-hood-louver-cover.html)

minavizz 03-20-2019 03:49 PM

Hood louver cover

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen/came up with some sort of cover for hood louvers like my Z has. Im just looking to stop the rain from going through to the intake manifold and splashing around. It doesnt have to be air/water tight, i just have in mind something maybe that clips on and off quick and will prevent straight rainfall from getting in while its sitting outside. I bought the car like this and previous owner always had it garaged. Mine has to come out of my garage for a bit and last time I had it out for a period of several months this was a slight concern that I never addressed, but now that its gonna be outside again I would like something.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d7896aaa6f.jpg

BWF07 03-20-2019 04:25 PM

I have auto crossed mine in the past ans seen these on a fe wof the cars there, but they were all out track cars. I always wondered why anyone would put one on a normal street. Even if you don't drive in the rain what about when you wash the car.

captain vette 03-20-2019 04:26 PM

outside car cover?

minavizz 03-20-2019 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by BWF07 (Post 1599079287)
I have auto crossed mine in the past ans seen these on a fe wof the cars there, but they were all out track cars. I always wondered why anyone would put one on a normal street. Even if you don't drive in the rain what about when you wash the car.

Yeah even washing the car I am careful not to flood it. I mean, I like the way it looks. And I can definitely see the heat escaping it when I'm sitting in traffic. and being it's already done I can't do anything about it.

Outside car cover yeah but I would like something quick too. Maybe some flat piece of plastic with 4 hook kinda clips on it. Something I can throw in the car when I take it off quick

Unreal 03-20-2019 04:54 PM

Everything under the hood is water tight. The only thing it does is cause water spots or visual concerns. If you drive in the rain, rain comes in from everywhere.

Don-Vette 03-21-2019 03:26 AM

I would replace the hood, that thing looks hideous IMO. Maybe get a piece of heavy vinyl with 4 small holes on the corners to latch small bungee cords to on the louvers.

mcandrew67 03-21-2019 07:33 AM

Epoxy a metal frame on the underside of the hood around the vent, then cut a piece of metal with magnets around the border to put on the underside. Should be easy to fabricate

Cardinal Flyer 03-21-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 1599079489)
Everything under the hood is water tight. The only thing it does is cause water spots or visual concerns. If you drive in the rain, rain comes in from everywhere.

:iagree:

minavizz 03-21-2019 10:36 AM

i dont doubt water will have a hard time getting "inside" the engine, but one thing that makes me a little nervous is the MSD 2 step wiring. the plug-in extensions to the coil harnesses are really close to the intake and really close to where water puddles if it sits in the rain.

and thanks for the insult about the hood looking hideous and suggesting to change lol that helps the situation a lot

Unreal 03-21-2019 11:12 AM

If your wiring is not water tight, then fix that issue. All under hood connection should use triple sealed weather tight connectors. There should be zero concern with water.

sonik_fury 03-21-2019 11:27 AM

I like the idea of magnets and vinyl. It would definitely have to be custom, but should do the trick. Epoxy some neodymium magnets to the underside of the hood/vent and sew metal tabs into the vinyl.

BTW, your car looks great. Are those C7 wheels?

minavizz 03-21-2019 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 1599083457)
If your wiring is not water tight, then fix that issue. All under hood connection should use triple sealed weather tight connectors. There should be zero concern with water.

Well im hoping the MSD wiring is also good connectors. I havent noticed them getting wet but also Im trying to eliminate straight puddling from happening in the first place so.

thanks sonik_fury, theyre black c6 z06 wheels

RickCC6 03-21-2019 04:00 PM

ive been wanting to do something similar but two rectangular vents running vertically on the side of the hood, somewhat for looks. mostly for heat extraction when i get the headers. especially in this really nice and hot texas summers lol. never thought water would be a problem, nor is my car in a garage. is it really that bad if water gets in?

minavizz 03-21-2019 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by RickCC6 (Post 1599085388)
ive been wanting to do something similar but two rectangular vents running vertically on the side of the hood, somewhat for looks. mostly for heat extraction when i get the headers. especially in this really nice and hot texas summers lol. never thought water would be a problem, nor is my car in a garage. is it really that bad if water gets in?

apparently its not a big deal according to the responses. I dont love the idea of it being open when its just sitting there though. Ive found not just water but twigs and small stuff on my intake as well.

minavizz 04-15-2019 11:36 AM

we had a crazy thunderstorm here on LI early this morning, lots of wind too.

This is my engine bay after. Granted, "some" water came from when i opened the hood. But 90% of the water in here is from the stinkin hood vents. It really gets everywhere, thus why i started this thread
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4c9eb0710b.jpg