CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Historic Vehicle (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4254339-historic-vehicle.html)

mike914 03-21-2019 06:37 PM

Historic Vehicle

Hello

Just bought a 68 convertible and was wondering how to register for insurance and plates

Would this be a historic car?

I drive it once per week only in the spring summer and fall store it in a garage.

Never go to work or out with it

I live in Michigan

maybe one show per year.

Thanks

Mike

vettebuyer6369 03-21-2019 06:57 PM

This is specific to your state. Look up your state’s DMV online and they should have all info on plates and registration there.

cv67 03-21-2019 07:02 PM

You can get classic car policies with a regular plate. In CA with those plates there are some restrictions, not worth it to most.

derekderek 03-21-2019 07:57 PM

All states differ. What state are you talking about?

Rescue Rogers 03-21-2019 08:19 PM

In Massachusetts you can only drive a car with antique plates: to , from car shows , parades and related events. And I believe its mileage limited. IF you get regular plates you can go with a car insurance like Hagerty, Classic car or theres a vendor here thats an insurance agent, but i cant locate his name. Usually this route uses a stated value

Bikespace 03-21-2019 11:17 PM

This might be the site you want. The August rule is pretty cool!

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...364---,00.html

Michigan Historical and authentic license plates

Michigan has a long and proud history as the automotive center of the world. Many residents enjoy restoring and collecting vintage automobiles, trucks, and motorcycles. Since 1956, the state has issued historic and authentic license plates for antique vehicles used in parades, fairs, car shows, swap meets, and other events.

Historical vehicles
A historical vehicle must be:
  • 26 or more years old
  • Owned solely as a collector's item
  • Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows
Note: A vehicle registered with a historical or authentic plate cannot be used for routine, day-to-day transportation; however, the law does allow for vehicles with a valid historical or authentic license plate to be driven at any time, including as daily transportation, during the month of August.

3JsVette 03-21-2019 11:46 PM

I guess the Woodward Dream Cruise is "the exception to the rules". Pretty funny actually. :lol:

toolmanzwief 03-22-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bikespace (Post 1599087890)
Note: A vehicle registered with a historical or authentic plate cannot be used for routine, day-to-day transportation; however, the law does allow for vehicles with a valid historical or authentic license plate to be driven at any time, including as daily transportation, during the month of August.

I think it is funny that Wisconsin has the exact opposite rule. You are not allowed to drive a vehicle with collectors plates in the month of January.

Iceaxe 03-22-2019 05:42 PM

In Utah the biggest reason to get historic plates is licensing, tax and registration is only $5 a year.

We have some rules attached to historic plates but there is also a rule you can test drive the car at any time and the test drive has no restrictions. So basically as long as it's not a daily driver historic plates are the way to go around here. YMMV

vettebuyer6369 03-23-2019 12:31 PM

Illinois now has “Expanded use” antiique plates that, unlike regular antique plates, allow pleasure driving from April to October.

jackson 03-23-2019 01:22 PM

In south carolina ... once the fees to change BOTH title & tag to antique ... there is No further charge with an exception ... some counties charge annual property tax on antique vehicles, some do not. My residence county does not. Same county also charges my friend only $5 prop tax on aircraft! Both his are ex-military with radial motors. I understand these decisions are left to county auditor who's been in for decades. I have two antique-tagged vehicles; one bike one car. I've been stopped a few times but never asked why I was operating w/ antique tags. YMMV

hdal 03-23-2019 03:19 PM

I'm in Mich. I did my 78' SA yrs ago,switched to"Authentic"plt. This plt has no restrictions,comes with permanent Mich regi.. Do not do Historic plt'. SOS has paperwork,you need one rr plt of that yr on car with a pic attached to SOS paper work.Takes 30-40 days for everything to clear. This plt will be a one time register to you ONLY'. I have American Collectors car ins pd annually with no' MCCA cost! My ins prem is $194.00 for $20k replacement value,again' no restrictions'. Hdal

jpatrick62 03-23-2019 09:16 PM

In MD I got historic car plates (25 years or more qualifies) and the state does not make you do a used car inspection that they make non historic cars do. You cannot use a historic car as a daily driver though, and it cannot be significantly altered.

M4A3E2 03-24-2019 03:46 AM

I'd never get historic plates simply because I drive my car any chance I get.

Duke94 03-24-2019 09:34 AM

I live in Michigan, and getting Historic plates is easy. Go to the SOS web site and it will explain the whole thing. Usually what I do is buy a plate off ebay of the year the car was made. I have a 79 Vette with a 79 Michigan plate. In either case, you'll have to go in to the SOS office to do it. Usually when you get the title transferred.

Stev-o 03-25-2019 06:46 PM

+1... get year of manufacture plates off eBay and take them in when you register your car.

Redvette2 03-25-2019 08:58 PM

My 68 was quoted at $250/6 months if normal insurance and $50/6 months specialty classic car insurance if I have it appraised, lock it up in a garage and limit the miles. As I plan to drive it a lot I am staying with the normal insurance here in CA.

Redvette2

Iceaxe 03-26-2019 10:53 AM

I've had many collectors cars with collector car insurance from half a dozen different companies with all types of different mileage restrictions, and yet I've never had any of them actually check the mileage on the car, even after a claim... just sayin'

jackson 03-26-2019 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Redvette2 (Post 1599109113)
My 68 was quoted at $250/6 months if normal insurance and $50/6 months specialty classic car insurance if I have it appraised, lock it up in a garage and limit the miles. As I plan to drive it a lot I am staying with the normal insurance here in CA.

Redvette2

mine's insured with Hagerty in SCarolina... they're not perfect ... but they did not limit miles ... No appraisal just stated value ... do store it fully-enclosed ... they charge premium according to stated value & driver record ... mine's at about $38K & premium's about $300/yr w/ good driver record. Regardless of whether mine's worth stated $38K or not ... that's what payout is if it were totally destroyed or stolen. That annual $300 Hagerty premium is about 1/3 of "normal" liability-only annual insurance on my towncar.

Kacyc3 03-26-2019 11:22 AM

standard antique plates for illinois was limited to 3000 miles a year, to/from car shows/events and to the repair shop.
expanded antique was limited like mentioned above.

Still learning what they are here in Florida.