CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   Why did c4 zr1’s have a radar-detector defeating coating on the windshield (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4254767-why-did-c4-zr1is-have-a-radar-detector-defeating-coating-on-the-windshield.html)

dizwiz24 03-22-2019 10:41 PM

Why did c4 zr1’s have a radar-detector defeating coating on the windshield

curious what the point of the coating was on the windshield

why did zr1 get it and the other corvettes didnt

pushrod-v8 03-22-2019 10:51 PM

The ZR-1 came with a smaller air conditioning compressor vs the standard c4 and the windshield was made to reflect heat away from the cabin and keep the interior cool.

Paul Workman 03-23-2019 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by pushrod-v8 (Post 1599093609)
The ZR-1 came with a smaller air conditioning compressor vs the standard c4 and the windshield was made to reflect heat away from the cabin and keep the interior cool.

That's written in HOTB as well as other sources too. But, the windshield is small compared to the back deck glass area. Maybe laminating the WS was "just enough", but it seems to me the AC compressor could have benefited considerably more if the glass deck lid had been laminated too. Just a thought....

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fcf5f5f3de.jpg

dizwiz24 03-23-2019 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Workman (Post 1599094777)
That's written in HOTB as well as other sources too. But, the windshield is small compared to the back deck glass area. Maybe laminating the WS was "just enough", but it seems to me the AC compressor could have benefited considerably more if the glass deck lid had been laminated too. Just a thought....

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fcf5f5f3de.jpg

love the looks of this zr1 with the black moulding stripe !!!!

Dominic Sorresso 03-23-2019 10:24 AM

Recently spoke w a friend who’s son does detailing etc on high end cars. It seems that those of us w ZRs may have an alternative, particularly given that windshield replacement is very expensive w our cars. Mine has an L98 windshield. The alternative solution is to do ceramic tint on the side and rear hatch. There is also now a clear ceramic tint that can be done on the windshield itself. The advantage of ceramic tint is that it not only blocks light, but also heat. Using ceramic tint could lower the interior temps enough so as to make the marginal compressor adequate capability in cooling the interior. An additional benefit is that the interior does not heat up as it would due to the heat rejection of the ceramic film.
Its not cheap, but much less expensive than trying to replace w correct windscreen.

ccmano 03-23-2019 10:44 AM

While the windshield does defeat things like radar detectors and toll transponders they designed a square cut out into the mesh roughly in front of the driver at the base of the windshield expressly for a radar detector. (Toll transponders hadn’t been invented yet) If you look at the windshield in the right light you can see the cut out. That’s where my Valentine sits. But then you’ve probably already noticed that.
H
:cheers:

Zrxmax 03-23-2019 09:49 PM

I never thought the tinted windshield made any difference based on how effective my Valentine worked. One day while heading north on I 15 around Nipton Rd and still 10+ miles from the Nevada border I got the dreaded KA band warning. I took note of my odometer in the trip meter setting and counted off the miles until I got a visual on the CHP rolling southbound. I know he was at least 4 miles away when I got the signal... or... as many as 8 miles away because I had no way of knowing if he was rolling or parked somewhere when I got the warning.
I have never tested the detector by moving it to the cut out because I like having it up as high as possible by the rear view mirror. To the casual observer its harder to spot the detector when it up in the blue tinted area plus its easier to pull down quickly if needed.

EvanZR1 03-25-2019 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso (Post 1599095088)
Recently spoke w a friend who’s son does detailing etc on high end cars. It seems that those of us w ZRs may have an alternative, particularly given that windshield replacement is very expensive w our cars. Mine has an L98 windshield. The alternative solution is to do ceramic tint on the side and rear hatch. There is also now a clear ceramic tint that can be done on the windshield itself. The advantage of ceramic tint is that it not only blocks light, but also heat. Using ceramic tint could lower the interior temps enough so as to make the marginal compressor adequate capability in cooling the interior. An additional benefit is that the interior does not heat up as it would due to the heat rejection of the ceramic film.
Its not cheap, but much less expensive than trying to replace w correct windscreen.

I had ceramic tint done on the sides and rear of mine shortly after I bought it. I haven't been through a full summer with it yet (was in the shop last summer having engine built), but it definitely seems to keep it a lot cooler inside when I've parked it outside on sunny days for meets with friends. Here in Texas any little bit helps, so for me ceramic tint is definitely worth it. Mine has a replacement solar windshield that's perfect, but if it ever starts delaminating, I'll probably just use a standard windshield and do ceramic tint on it.

Dominic Sorresso 03-25-2019 10:17 AM

Good to know Evan. So it really does work then. Could I ask what that cost u?

EvanZR1 03-25-2019 10:18 AM

Don't remember off hand, want to say it was maybe $100 more than regular tint. Also took about 2-3 weeks for all the bubbles to come out versus 2-3 days for normal tint (no rolling down windows during that time).

RossGN 03-27-2019 11:40 AM

Will be replacing the WS in my 94 with standard WS in a few weeks. Trying to find a precut clear ceramic film so I can install a week or so prior to install. Will post an update on performance when I get it done.