CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   Mgw issue... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4255260-mgw-issue.html)

Jjagg0125 03-24-2019 02:04 PM

Mgw issue...

I installed the older version MGW without lower box and it's a little notch yea but most short throw shifters are. My issue is how stiff the movement is side to side. You have to push pretty hard over to get it into 1st or 5th not to mention all the way over to reverse. Any ideas what could be causing this? I though about taking it back out and greasing the lower end but i can't imagine that helping all that much. Thoughts would be appreciated. I honestly thought about just cutting and welding my stock shifter down lowering the knob and making my own shorter throw shifter with the stock prices to come up with a happy medium.

racerx3317 03-24-2019 02:14 PM

I have the same shifter in my 07. You get used it it. I also have the anti venom mod. I used two washers which I'm sure made it slightly lighter.

philadd 03-24-2019 11:45 PM

The older versions were definitely stiff moving side to side. As racerx3317 mentioned, you get used to it after a little while. The newer/current version doesn't have the same issue.

theandrewo 03-25-2019 12:34 PM

You also have to remember that if you've installed a short throw shifter, you've also reduced the leverage you have to move the shifter (thus why it's a short-throw), which means moving it will be harder.

Jjagg0125 03-25-2019 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by theandrewo
You also have to remember that if you've installed a short throw shifter, you've also reduced the leverage you have to move the shifter (thus why it's a short-throw), which means moving it will be harder.

Absolutely, unfortunately this really seems like it is way harder than it should be. I'm going to try and get use to it but we will see.

Dutch08 03-25-2019 01:01 PM

I'm assuming things haven't changed, but my MGW shifter shaft screws into the weighted section(?) and there are two shifter holes in the shaft. At least in my case screwing out the shaft until only about 8 threads are in the weighted section and raising the shift knob (I have a white cue ball knob) to the top hole really makes mine shift easy. Also just pushing or pulling the shifter and not guiding it through the gates (took me a long time to get used to this) seems to help quite a bit.

(FWIW, I also did the Venom mod, and changed to Mobile 1 ATF)

Pounder 03-25-2019 06:12 PM

the lower box is the important part !!! if it's worn (my guess yes) it will shift crappy !!!! there is a Fendor on the Forum that rebuilds the lower box and that would be a consideration or go with a MGW lower !!!

RobGOV-DCZ 03-25-2019 06:51 PM

MGW sux! Sell it
Wayyy to notchy for me