CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Recommendation on This C5 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4255575-recommendation-on-this-c5.html)

Daniel-DD 03-25-2019 09:26 AM

Recommendation on This C5

Haven't been here in a while... I keep going back and forth about buying a Corvette. I've pretty much had everything except a Corvette. I've had 6 Miatas and I tried out the new ND Miata, but it is just too small. All the Miatas, I don't care which one you get are all small. I want more room and certainly the extra power would be nicer as well. As soon as I left the Miata dealer last week, I went over to the Chevy dealer and sat in a 2019 Corvette...and I fell in love. Problem is I just don't want to spend that kind of money on what essentially would be a "toy". I'm getting ready to retire in 2 months and want something that I can have fun in. Would that be a C5 Corvette?

I found this: https://bham.craigslist.org/cto/d/wo...827930892.html

I've talked to him a couple of times. Its a low mileage (36K) Millenium Yellow Corvette. It does look good in the pictures. Its about 3 hours from me. I think the price is a little high, and I don't think he is going to budge on the price. He is the 3rd owner, so I am concerned about being the 4th owner. It does look good, though and he seems to have addressed some of the issues associated with the C5.

Right now I'm on the fence. I'm worried about being the 4th owner of a car that if I decide to sell later may scare off any potential buyers because of a multiple owner car. Also, coming from a long line of Miatas, I do like driving with the top down and I'm figuring I won't get the same experience in this particular Corvette - and I hear that driving with the targa roof off, for anything over 40mph is uncomfortable.

Please weigh in with any thoughts you have on this C5.

CinciZ06 03-25-2019 09:56 AM

Much like you I have owned a large variety of "fun" cars. I have the ability to but what I want within reason, and honest assessment of what I wanted in terms of fun, reliability, power, and styling brought me back to a C5 Z06. I owned one about 10 years ago and it was probably the best of all worlds when considering what I loved about all my previous cars. I had a 500 rwhp mustang cobra, and 350z Nismo, a JCW Mini Cooper S, and an '01 Z06 all within about 6 years. And the Vette was the best of all of them.

I decided earlier this year it was time to get another toy. I looked at a C7's, C6 Z51 and Z06's, and landed at a C5 Z06 based on value, performance, resale, and parts ability. I found an '04, bone stock, in Chicago with 48k miles and stole it price wise.

The car you linked is a nice example, but you are paying a little bit to appease the seller's Corvette pride. That price range will get you in a similiar year Z with similar mileage, and you will enjoy the extra power as it sits as well as may enjoy the upward departure in money to get even more power.

I was perusing the cars for sale in this forum this morning and there are some good deals to be had while it's still cold. The summer will probably jack prices or at least make them sell faster.

Good luck and you will be very very pleased with a C5 it you choose to go that route!

VettesGoneWild 03-25-2019 09:59 AM

Driving above 40 with the roof off isn't uncomfortable to me aside from wind noise and not being able to hear radio that well. Sounds like a well taken care of car and seems priced right. If you can knock off another 1K that would be a sure thing, at least for me.

2k2wranglerx 03-25-2019 10:06 AM

i have no issues driving with the roof off on the highway... then again i drive with no top or doors on my jeep on the highway so...

Daniel-DD 03-25-2019 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by CinciZ06 (Post 1599104933)
Much like you I have owned a large variety of "fun" cars. I have the ability to but what I want within reason, and honest assessment of what I wanted in terms of fun, reliability, power, and styling brought me back to a C5 Z06. I owned one about 10 years ago and it was probably the best of all worlds when considering what I loved about all my previous cars. I had a 500 rwhp mustang cobra, and 350z Nismo, a JCW Mini Cooper S, and an '01 Z06 all within about 6 years. And the Vette was the best of all of them.

I decided earlier this year it was time to get another toy. I looked at a C7's, C6 Z51 and Z06's, and landed at a C5 Z06 based on value, performance, resale, and parts ability. I found an '04, bone stock, in Chicago with 48k miles and stole it price wise.

The car you linked is a nice example, but you are paying a little bit to appease the seller's Corvette pride. That price range will get you in a newer Z with similar mileage, and you will enjoy the extra power as it sits as well as may enjoy the upward departure in money to get even more power.

I was perusing the cars for sale in this forum this morning and there are some good deals to be had while it's still cold. The summer will probably jack prices or at least make them sell faster.

Good luck and you will be very very pleased with a C5 it you choose to go that route!

Thanks for the information! The only thing that would prevent me from looking at a Z06 is the FRC. I would like to be able to remove the targa top, should the occasion arise.

arthursc2 03-25-2019 10:23 AM

HVAC is not a "$1000 repair, surprise!" Its 20 mins with a competent person on the soldering iron
Column lock bypass, if he didnt do an LMC5 and instead did the splicing suggested in the TSB, its not truly considered fixed, FYI. It can still give you a problem or 2

Other than the pretentious attitude in the ad, and the "I know everything about this car, and am selling it anyway" vibe, its a fine car. Not my preferred color combo, but still a nice car. $18k for HUD, dual climate and low miles is right about market value. You might talk that guy down $500, but I doubt it, seems too proud to me

Daniel-DD 03-25-2019 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by arthursc2 (Post 1599105115)
HVAC is not a "$1000 repair, surprise!" Its 20 mins with a competent person on the soldering iron
Column lock bypass, if he didnt do an LMC5 and instead did the splicing suggested in the TSB, its not truly considered fixed, FYI. It can still give you a problem or 2

Other than the pretentious attitude in the ad, and the "I know everything about this car, and am selling it anyway" vibe, its a fine car. Not my preferred color combo, but still a nice car. $18k for HUD, dual climate and low miles is right about market value. You might talk that guy down $500, but I doubt it, seems too proud to me

Thanks for interrogating the advertisement. I share the same feelings as you do about the seller. I'll give you this, he seems like a nice guy, has owned a number of Corvettes over the years and thoroughly enjoys them. I think he like looking for low mileage, well cared for cars, driving them for a short time, and then flipping them for a modest profit. As for color combination, I'm okay with it. Kinda like it, would for sure take this color over a black car any day of the week.

DDaaryl 03-25-2019 10:50 AM

I switched from an NC Miata to a C5 6-7 years ago for the same reason, the Miata was just too small for me. I have no regrets making the change. It is my eight and favorite Corvette. Looks like a reasonable deal. Good luck!

Daniel-DD 03-25-2019 10:57 AM

Just contacted the seller this morning. Someone is driving down from SC to look at the car. He said he would contact me and let me know later this afternoon whether it is still available or not. I initially seriously considered this car last week, but deferred because I thought the whole "multiple owners" issue would be a problem going forward. I am now reconsidering it...

Bushman66 03-25-2019 11:16 AM

I'd pass on the car, just for fact of the owner being a general douche. There are PLENTY of great C5's out there.

arthursc2 03-25-2019 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bushman66 (Post 1599105436)
I'd pass on the car, just for fact of the owner being a general douche. There are PLENTY of great C5's out there.

Agreed

DDaaryl 03-25-2019 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel-DD (Post 1599105349)
Just contacted the seller this morning. Someone is driving down from SC to look at the car. He said he would contact me and let me know later this afternoon whether it is still available or not. I initially seriously considered this car last week, but deferred because I thought the whole "multiple owners" issue would be a problem going forward. I am now reconsidering it...

Sounds like the seller is trying to avoid you making a three hour ride in case the vehicle is unavailable. Multiple owners wouldn't bother me much but be sure to check the Carfax history. May be low mileage because it was wrecked or flooded waiting for repairs.

Daniel-DD 03-25-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by DDaaryl (Post 1599105589)
Sounds like the seller is trying to avoid you making a three hour ride in case the vehicle is unavailable. Multiple owners wouldn't bother me much but be sure to check the Carfax history. May be low mileage because it was wrecked or flooded waiting for repairs.

Certainly will do that if I pursue this one!

ShagVette 03-25-2019 12:26 PM

Hilarious, 1st pic he posts in ad is to justify "trailer queen" lol. He's flooded craigslist in multiple states, posted 28 days ago. Like said, the tone probably turns a lot of potential buyers off, he writes:

"I personally never consider a Corvette with any of the following words in the ad.

Very Fast – Supercharger – Turbocharger – Headers - low ET's – slicks – Custom exhaust – short throw shift – Rare Color, model or Options (Rare means UNPOPULAR) – Non OEM Cam, Crank, pistons etc. - “Real Nasty sound” - Rebuilt Anything – the letter “Z” in its name offered by an owner under 60

Bushman66 03-25-2019 12:36 PM

PS For point of reference, my Torch red, one-owner Arizona car, 2004 Z06 with 46K miles, pristine Carfax, and 100% bone stock was $21K. And I looked for exactly....TWO days before I found it locally.

CinciZ06 03-25-2019 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bushman66 (Post 1599105918)
PS For point of reference, my Torch red, one-owner Arizona car, 2004 Z06 with 46K miles, pristine Carfax, and 100% bone stock was $21K. And I looked for exactly....TWO days before I found it locally.

Exactly this. Mine was a 3 owner, but identical otherwise down to the mileage and I beat them up to under $20k. Search for EXACTLY what you want for what you are willing to pay and you will be successful with the hunt.

I will also caution you that low miles and one owner may translate in to "never drove the damn thing and neglected it for years", and these things really hate to sit. The gremlins that live inside them get really bored and start eating shit. People are more willing to maintain and improve a car they recently bought, so I wouldn't shy away from the number of owners.

I would struggle overcoming the attitude of the seller - I mean damn guy, it's just a C5 corvette! haha

Daniel-DD 03-25-2019 01:19 PM

Just got a text from the seller. He has an offer on the car but the Potential New Owner wants to buy the trailer too for an additional $2.5K. Suppossedly its a $5K trailer and the seller is not willing to give it away. He wants me to hurry up and come buy his car now. I smell a red flag...

Evil-Twin 03-25-2019 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel-DD (Post 1599106206)
Just got a text from the seller. He has an offer on the car but the Potential New Owner wants to buy the trailer too for an additional $2.5K. Suppossedly its a $5K trailer and the seller is not willing to give it away. He wants me to hurry up and come buy his car now. I smell a red flag...

Hurry Up … a definite red flag.. there is a fine line between being desperate and out right lying..

arthursc2 03-25-2019 01:57 PM

Also agree with above

ShagVette 03-25-2019 02:07 PM

Text him back saying you have $16k cash and can pick it up ASAP.