CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Have a business trip... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4255588-have-a-business-trip.html)

~Stingray 03-25-2019 10:11 AM

Have a business trip...

Hey Guys,

I have to drive from Indianapolis,IN to Deerfield, IL (north chicago). Any issues with taking the vette for that trip? I will be staying in an extended stay hotel even though it is for one night.
But wasn't sure with the crime rates up there if it would be a bad idea or what the condition of the roads are up there.

Also, I don't have a good idea of how far the fob reaches so could someone take the car if it is parked in front my door because the car thinks the FOB is close enough?

I haven't driven in chicago for more than a decade so I don't know what to expect any more.

Thanks.

pnsnkr 03-25-2019 10:53 AM

The range is within 1m (3 ft) as per the manual. My experience is that the range is much shorter than that.

PatternDayTrader 03-25-2019 04:34 PM

I would drive it, that's why you bought it.

Rebel Yell 03-25-2019 04:46 PM

Drive that car brother. At least you can enjoy the drive there, and back. Many of us know how business trips can really suck. :yesnod:

When we take ours on road trips we try to park near, or under a light. An end space if possible, and close to the entrance. You can usually find a space space (ummmm, not like the kids look for these days though) to park. :D

dvilin 03-25-2019 04:57 PM

I would drive it, treat it like you would anyplace. Park in a well lit end spot, as for the roads not sure that would be or should be an issue. As for crime there is no place without it.

dbirdhouse1 03-25-2019 05:17 PM

road concerns

You and I know, especially in the Midwest with very large temp swings (my daughter's family lives in Fishers, IN and I lived
for a couple of (miserable) years outside of St Louis while my brother was attending Northwestern in Evanston, Ill).so we know
how bad roads can be in the spring with cracks and potholes to rival a lunar landscape....otherwise, use that lovely lady for what she was intended.
Have a safe and fruitful trip.

CCA Corvette Parts 03-25-2019 05:37 PM

217 miles

Bet you can't make it in under 2 Hrs and 45 min

Chip

village idiot 03-25-2019 06:34 PM

I guess I'm in the minority. I'd rent a car, expense the miles on someone else's car and enjoy a nice drive in a plush SUV.
I enjoy driving my Corvette as much as anyone, and I certainly do that. However, driving with cruise control on the highway isn't exactly fun (or cheap per mile). A basic SUV is honestly better for that. The Corvette with it's runflat tires is loud, bumpy, low to the ground, etc- and it has minimal sound damping. I typically bring it in for warranty work and take their loaner when the timing works out. The rest of the time, I rent a car. Hell, I drive my 2000 4runner to work more than my GS because I prefer sitting up higher, ride, and auto in traffic. I don't give a rat's ass about mileage.

call911s 03-25-2019 07:15 PM

Just got back from the Rosemont area on Sunday. The roads are awful up there, and 65 is a minefield as you get north a Lafayette. Save the rims!

gliot1 03-25-2019 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ~Stingray (Post 1599105031)
Hey Guys,

I have to drive from Indianapolis,IN to Deerfield, IL (north chicago). Any issues with taking the vette for that trip? I will be staying in an extended stay hotel even though it is for one night.
But wasn't sure with the crime rates up there if it would be a bad idea or what the condition of the roads are up there.

Also, I don't have a good idea of how far the fob reaches so could someone take the car if it is parked in front my door because the car thinks the FOB is close enough?

I haven't driven in chicago for more than a decade so I don't know what to expect any more.

Thanks.

Seriously, you're worried about Deerfield? Lol. A Vette is like a Prius in that area....one if the best suburbs on the north shore. I wouldnt worry about it.

Skid Row Joe 03-25-2019 07:40 PM

You're good to go as long as you realize that your car may be targeted for vandalism, break in, or even theft while parked on your business trip. The car may also be damaged from road borne damage of some sort.😨

..My new C7 is my primary business vehicle for a tax write off, for my company. Although I have two other vehicles that can and will continue to be deployed for the same functionality at times, the C7 will play a large part in business tax savings - regardless how many miles it is driven for business. ;)

It's basically, your call. Personally? I wouldn't do it up there. :nonod:

airmed2 03-25-2019 09:51 PM

First, I can't believe anyone would ask a question about whether or not to drive their car, let alone on a trip. Second, what is the big deal. It's got an engine, a steering wheel, seats, four wheels, and it does the same thing as the thousands of other cars on the road that you'll pass alone the way. Is it insured? Is it a museum piece? Is it appreciating? Are you going to melt like the Hollywood nutcases do when Trump opens his yapper if you happen to get a stone chip? I guess in the long run, only you can decide if you'll ever have the regret when you're too old to drive about all the times you wished you would have driven the Vette instead of leaving it in the garage to be enjoyed by the next owner.

xwing 03-25-2019 09:56 PM

I live in the Chicago suburbs, and drive to Indianapolis all the time. The drive is fine. Take the Vette. Deerfield is fancy, and lots of expensive cars there. The only problem on the trip is I-65 sometimes seems to get a lot of potholes. But it's not that bad and the rest is entirely fine.

Skid Row Joe 03-25-2019 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by village idiot (Post 1599108292)
I guess I'm in the minority. I'd rent a car, expense the miles on someone else's car and enjoy a nice drive in a plush SUV.
I enjoy driving my Corvette as much as anyone, and I certainly do that. However, driving with cruise control on the highway isn't exactly fun (or cheap per mile). A basic SUV is honestly better for that. The Corvette with it's runflat tires is loud, bumpy, low to the ground, etc- and it has minimal sound damping. I typically bring it in for warranty work and take their loaner when the timing works out. The rest of the time, I rent a car. Hell, I drive my 2000 4runner to work more than my GS because I prefer sitting up higher, ride, and auto in traffic. I don't give a rat's ass about mileage.

You're not in the minority. You're actually smart about it.

..I've actually driven in that God forsaken part of the Country on business in my RV in Wintertime, and rental cars extensively, and it sucks. The area's roads suck, and it looks like a crime riddled area. Statistics kind of prove that one.:yesnod:

The OP is "dying" to take the Vette. You can't advise against that. :lol:

Kracka 03-26-2019 12:39 AM

I took a business trip today and the entire time driving the company car left me craving to be in my C7 instead!

JerryU 03-26-2019 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by ~Stingray (Post 1599105031)
Hey Guys,

Thanks.

If I was parking in downtown Chicago, I'd do what I do when driving to a big city and staying in a Hotel- I rent a car! Cheap and no worry about who will hit it when pulling in those small slots in a parking garage etc. I do have a steering wheel lock that is bright yellow I can install. It is very visible from outside the car. Simply locks on the wheel. Have used it for many years on many Vettes. Doesn't stop a pro but like my wheel locks, lets them look for a car without them!

cowboy casey 03-26-2019 05:04 AM

It's a car that drives wonderful and is great for road trips.. all this crap about bad roads, loud interior, tires, and blah blah... drive that car, not sure why some buy these cars to park them in a garage and rent another vehicle.... If you don't want to drive it buy something else..

On the flip side, I want to personally thank each and every corvette owner that does park there Vette in the garage and does not drive it, It gives my lots of cheap low mileage cars to choose from :cheers: :rock:

~Stingray 03-26-2019 08:50 AM

I need to be clear to those who think I am trying to have a garage queen or looking for excuses not to drive it. In fact, I often speak out about the exact opposite. The question is not about that.

I am not familiar with the area and want to enjoy the ride. If the roads are horrible and all I am going to get is a cringe feeling every other mile because of crappy roads, I would consider taking something else that would not be enjoyable.

And yes, I have insurance. But I'd rather drive another car for one road trip than have to go through the headache of reporting a lost car and trying to find another one because I wanted to drive one more time in an unsafe neighborhood where I would leave it overnight and all day while at work. I think the majority of us park their vettes in a garage for safety. Even the insurance people ask if your car will be parked in a garage. So I don't think I am out of sorts having a concern and looking for opinions about the area. I believe I just read that Chicago is in the top 3 for crime in the US now and am basically waving a flag driving a flashing sports car. So ya, I want to be smart.

Carvin 03-26-2019 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1599110340)
If I was parking in downtown Chicago,

Deerfield is not downtown Chicago

Kracka 03-26-2019 08:56 AM

I had no issues when I drove my C7 to downtown Chicago and parked at a hotel there. I used the hotel's valet parking ramp.