CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   Rear vision camera and reverse light DIY fix (M7) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4255610-rear-vision-camera-and-reverse-light-diy-fix-m7.html)

JMII 03-25-2019 10:59 AM

Rear vision camera and reverse light DIY fix (M7)

About 6 months ago at around 20K in mileage the Rear Vision camera (RVC) on my 2014 Z51 3LT M7 started acting odd. I had no warnings in the DIC, just completely at random the RVC wouldn’t come on. As time moved on this problem became more and more common. A first it would happen very rarely, like just twice a month, but I progressively experienced more and more failures until the rear vision camera worked only 50% of the time.

At 25K mileage it finally reached the point where it stopped working completely. The car went into reverse fine but no reverse camera image seen on the dash. In addition I noticed while backing early one morning the white backup lights were not working either. Oddly the gear indicator in the DIC and HUD still indicated (R) reverse, so apparently some of the car’s systems knew reverse had been selected. The car drove in reverse like normal.

Thankfully I had a good guess as to what was wrong as this same thing happened in my previous car (an older Nissan). The root cause is the Back Up Lamp Switch is broken, which is an easy and cheap fix. I searched here but didn’t see any reports of this problem with any C7s. Anyway… all you need to do is buy a new switch to replace the broken one. Below is a step-by-step DIY repair, if you have installed the CAGS skip shift eliminator the level of effort is similar, all that is required are basic hand tools. Once the car is lifted up it takes no more then 10 minutes to complete the repair.

#1 - Buy a new switch. The part is AC Delco #89060011 (see picture with old switch). RockAuto sells it for around $38 plus $6 for shipping. I saw it listed as high as $90 on several GM parts sites. I can only imagine the ridiculous mark up a dealer would charge for this small electronic switch. This part is common to Corvette transmissions going back to 2005.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fc34166ab.jpeg

#2 - Jack the car up and secure it safely (plenty of how-tos on this site). Find the switch’s location: it is on the passenger side of the transmission, basically opposite the fill port for the transmission fluid, just higher up. In the diagram below it is part #15. For reference part #21 is the CAGS location and part #20 is a temperature sensor. Below is a picture showing the switch’s location with the wiring harness attached.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b6b080568e.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ae695fa75.jpeg

#3 - Unclip the wiring harness. To do this first slide the red safety clip back, then release the black clip by pushing in while at the same time encouraging the connector to slip off. I used a long flat screwdriver to get some leverage on it. I wouldn’t pull on the wire itself for fear of damaging it.

#4 - Remove the old switch using a 7/8” open ended or box wrench. There is no way you are getting a socket wrench in there. Also not enough room for an adjustable or crescent wrench. Due to the size and shape of the transmission housing you can only turn the sensor a tiny bit before you have to reposition the wrench, thus is a slow process to back it out.

#5 - Insert the new switch and carefully bolt it in. I have no idea what the torque specs are so I just tighten until it felt secure - its not like this some critical, stressed component so don’t go crazy here.

#6 - Press the black wiring connector firmly back on and ensure it clicks into place. Then slide the red safety clip in which keeps the connector from coming loose accidentally.

#7 - Carefully lower the car, Test that your lights and rear view camera work again. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done… maybe grab a beer to celebrate.

Once my switch was replaced the RVC and backup lights now come on every time I select reverse gear. The job was done in my driveway very quickly for minimal cost, thus no need to visit the dealer for this simple repair. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Maxpowers 03-25-2019 12:40 PM

I haven't read much on this part failing. Good job diagnosing and replacing.

snampro 03-25-2019 12:41 PM

very useful information, thanks for sharing and documenting. well done!

Oskee 03-25-2019 06:34 PM

Great write up and well done ! :thumbs:

Pmazurko 03-12-2021 05:04 PM

Mr. Stupid

I wanted to install a skip shift eliminator on my 2014 Z51 and pulled the camera wire out by mistake. I could not tell on a diagram which way the transmission was sitting. Finally I found the correct place an was a snap to install. Now, trying to pug the plug back on the camera fitting was a no go. Lifted the red tab as much a I could, being it was on the top side of the plug and tried to push on. Impossible even with the help of a plier. Finally gave up and ordered the new plug. Hope it works when I get it. Thanks for writing the post. I hope there are not any other dumb people like me doing stuff like this.
h
h

ersatz928 03-13-2021 11:31 AM

That reverse light switch is only on the 2014 M7. Later M7s (2015 to 2019) eliminated that switch and use the gear position sensor, on the top of the transmission, to trigger the reverse lights and rear view camera.

RonC7 03-15-2021 09:04 AM

Good writeup.

Please add to DIY Sticky Thread!

Ron

JMII 03-15-2021 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pmazurko (Post 1603139338)
Lifted the red tab as much a I could, being it was on the top side of the plug and tried to push on.

The red tab slides, it doesn't lift. If I remember correctly it slides towards the wire. There are several other similar connectors in the car, so you might be able to find a video that shows how it works as reference.

Tom/99 03-16-2021 07:10 AM

Thank you for the info.

dbletap_ed 03-17-2021 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ersatz928 (Post 1603142563)
That reverse light switch is only on the 2014 M7. Later M7s (2015 to 2019) eliminated that switch and use the gear position sensor, on the top of the transmission, to trigger the reverse lights and rear view camera.

I have been searching and have not found. Anything on replacing the gear position sensor?

mhpearlman 03-17-2021 01:41 PM

Man thats a great step by step. I can even do that!!! thanks