CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   High speed run with side skirts (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4255811-high-speed-run-with-side-skirts.html)

graveyard 03-25-2019 07:29 PM

High speed run with side skirts

Im no speed demon but i am getting ready to put carbon 7 gtx side skirts on my car and was wondering if anyone has done a high speed run with them attached with tape or rivets or whatever and had any problem?Im sure we all get a good top speed ever once in a while to keep the blood flowing!!:D

runner61627 03-25-2019 07:38 PM

Skirts mounted with only tape are a disaster waiting to happen. There is a reason the factory rivets them on...

JerryU 03-25-2019 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by graveyard (Post 1599108593)
Im no speed demon but i am getting ready to put carbon 7 gtx side skirts on my car and was wondering if anyone has done a high speed run with them attached with tape or rivets or whatever and had any problem?Im sure we all get a good top speed ever once in a while to keep the blood flowing!!:D

Rivets are what I used when I added side skirts on my 2014 Z51 and the C7 Tech drilled 13 holes per side to install the OEM Stage 2 Areo Option Skirts on my Grand Sport.

Don't need large holes. Use mushroom head rivets as supplied in the GM kit! Can buy much cheaper- just google.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5a5395fded.jpg

graveyard 03-25-2019 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=JerryU;1599108768]Rivets are what I used when I added side skirts on my 2014 Z51 and the C7 Tech drilled 13 holes per side to install the OEM Stage 2 Areo Option Skirts on my Grand Sport.

Don't need large holes. Use mushroom head rivets as supplied in the GM kit! Can buy much cheaper- just google.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5a5395fded.jpg[/QUOTE
Ya i think i will for sure rivet them on,just wondering about how they stood up under high speed

JerryU 03-25-2019 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=graveyard;1599108863]

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1599108768)
Rivets are what I used when I added side skirts on my 2014 Z51 and the C7 Tech drilled 13 holes per side to install the OEM Stage 2 Areo Option Skirts on my Grand Sport.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5a5395fded.jpg[/QUOTE
Ya i think i will for sure rivet them on,just wondering about how they stood up under high speed

With those rivets have to believe GM tested at max speed of ~170 mph! I don't go that fast! :lol:

AZ99FRC 03-25-2019 08:49 PM

I've had my '18 Z51 to 165+ with carbon side skirts I installed myself with tape and screw/taps. I also removed those front air dams as soon as I bought the car and experienced none of the floating some folks claim will happen. I've done this a couple of times with no issues; the faster this car goes, the more it feels like it's hugging the road. YMMV.

Kracka 03-26-2019 12:42 AM

180 with rivets; rock solid.
Z06 stage 1 splitter and ACS Zero1 skirts. DIY installed with the supplied rivets and a $5 rivet gun from Harbor Freight.

JerryU 03-26-2019 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by AZ99FRC (Post 1599109076)
I also removed those front air dams as soon as I bought the car and experienced none of the floating some folks claim will happen. I've done this a couple of times with no issues; the faster this car goes, the more it feels like it's hugging the road. YMMV.

Two of those "some folks" were:
"The GM Chief Aerodynamicist, John Bednarchik, in an article about the C7 aerodynamics published October 2, 2013, entitled “2014 Corvette C7 Stingray-Like A Knife,” stated, “While shapes for improving fuel efficiency typically begin to have an effect at highway speeds, lift and drag components become critical from 150 mph to max velocity. GM also stated he Air Dam on the Chevy Volt has one of the lowest front end ground clearances of any production automobile – as low as some Corvettes and other sports cars. … the main purpose for the Volt is to decrease drag while at highways speeds, thus increasing your overall battery range.

Tadge Juechter, The Corvette Chief Engineer, said at a Bash said it was not used on the Z51 because it was causing high speed oversteer and they require some understeer. In a 2016 forum post Tadge said they carefully control “pitch moment” to provide neutral handling biased to understeer."

Hmm, but what do the Chief Aerodynamicist or the Corvette Chief Engineer know?? Oversteer occurs when you try to turn not as much a factor going straight! Hope a rabbit doesn't jump in front when you're at that speed! If you left whatever "air dams came on your Corvette" you could have gone ~5 mph faster! That's why some race cars have they almost dragging on the ground- not for "looks!"

graveyard 03-26-2019 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by az99frc (Post 1599109076)
i've had my '18 z51 to 165+ with carbon side skirts i installed myself with tape and screw/taps. I also removed those front air dams as soon as i bought the car and experienced none of the floating some folks claim will happen. I've done this a couple of times with no issues; the faster this car goes, the more it feels like it's hugging the road. Ymmv.

great

FRED HAMBLE 03-26-2019 08:49 AM

Why Carbon 7 GTX vs the other vendors side skirts??
Fred

LuisZ51 03-26-2019 08:56 AM

For what it's worth I've had my extreme online store skirts well past 150 mph and they are only on with self tappers.

Vetteman Jack 03-26-2019 10:02 AM

Some day I may find out whether there would be a problem or not. Just installed side skirts on my car a couple of weeks ago using screws/rivets but haven’t driven the car much since them. At 70-80 mph, no problems.

obxchartercaptain 03-26-2019 10:45 AM

Screwed my on .... 180 mph.... no problems....120+ mph more times than I can count.

graveyard 03-26-2019 07:33 PM

just the ones i decided to go with,i like some of the other ones also nothing wrong with them