CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Audio/Electronics (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics-20/)
-   -   JL Audio Stealthbox for C7 coupe install (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics/4257450-jl-audio-stealthbox-for-c7-coupe-install.html)

tony abbski 03-29-2019 10:14 PM

JL Audio Stealthbox for C7 coupe install

Hello all,

I couldn't find specific details I'm after regarding the install of the a/n stealthbox, that is designed to partially drop down and fit into the little storage area at the drivers side, very rear of the coupe.

There is a little lid on the storage compartment that I need to remove, but it has a curved plastic arm that operates the open/closing of the lid. Being plastic I could just cut it off, but I don't want to lose functionality in case someone down the road wants to use it. Also, I'm a bit worried the bottom part might drop down into the car producing a rattle - especially once I get the sub working!

Anyone here removed that lid and can offer any insight please?

TorchRedFred 03-30-2019 10:58 AM

From the directions,

From the underside of the cargo floor, carefully unclip and remove the storage compartment door.

A couple pics with quick install directions,

http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mf...pdf?1474475402

tony abbski 04-02-2019 03:34 AM

Thanks very much TorchRedFred, I didn't get the instructions with mine as it isn't brand new - yours were very helpful. Appreciate you taking the time.
:cheers:

Jaykoh-Z51 06-30-2019 06:25 PM

Hey Tony...you get that thing hooked up?

tony abbski 06-30-2019 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7 (Post 1599673193)
Hey Tony...you get that thing hooked up?

I did, but not myself - had a retired installer friend do it, including sound deadening. Thanks for your help - the sub kicks!....while still sounding musical. I’m hoping to live with the rest of the factory stuff because I already spent way too much replacing thirteen speakers, with processor, and amps in my suv, not to mention almost the same in the wife’s car.
Too easy to get carried away when you’re in the unfortunate position of knowing what good sound is - and wanting it everywhere!

Jaykoh-Z51 07-07-2019 03:35 PM

glad to hear that you like it. I'm close to pulling the trigger. What amp did you go with. My installer place is recommending the JL RD500/1. I'll have them rig the volume knob in the cig lighter.

He said to go without an LC2i initially...see how I like it.

We would remove the old sub and put the amp in there.

tony abbski 07-08-2019 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7 (Post 1599711765)
glad to hear that you like it. I'm close to pulling the trigger. What amp did you go with. My installer place is recommending the JL RD500/1. I'll have them rig the volume knob in the cig lighter.

He said to go without an LC2i initially...see how I like it.

We would remove the old sub and put the amp in there.

I ended up going with a JL XD 600 watt mono block - really strong bass top on or off. You won’t be disappointed.

Jaykoh-Z51 07-08-2019 10:25 AM

When you have time sir...would love a few pics of it installed. Curious about color match. I also have to get my Lloyds Matt trimmed. :(

Jaykoh-Z51 08-09-2019 08:04 PM

Hey Tony...I just had the stealth installed with a JL RD500/1. But they also put a HI/LO filter on from Wavetech. I feel like I'm missing a bunch of mid/low bass.

Awesome low end so far...but the gap in freq is gonna drive me nuts.

What's been your experience so far

tony abbski 08-10-2019 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7 (Post 1599939637)
Hey Tony...I just had the stealth installed with a JL RD500/1. But they also put a HI/LO filter on from Wavetech. I feel like I'm missing a bunch of mid/low bass.

Awesome low end so far...but the gap in freq is gonna drive me nuts.

What's been your experience so far

So far I've been liking the sound, although I seem to notice an improvement with the roof on. I wouldn't have the sub without the control knob readily accessible though as I find I play with it on almost every different track. You may also find the mid bass sound you are after by playing with the cars factory tone settings. As with most decent systems, it is very revealing of the quality of the original recording - particularly with Flac files (higher resolution). I am still toying with the idea of replacing at least the the passenger compartment door speakers and adding another amp,for better sound in that area.

What's nice is that with this sub, the roof on the coupe still fits over the sub and clips into place.

Hers a couple of pics. I have the aftermarket black Lloyd mats and I have to get it properly trimmed to fit with a nice edge on it, but I,m in a small town and that's been an issue.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9cae0355bb.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f30897730f.jpg

Jaykoh-Z51 08-10-2019 10:44 AM

I have the Lloyds mat too. So far it's been trimmed for the opening. I'll get it done nicely eventually.

Before the C7, I had a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I put an extra sub in that. Pioneer 10" shallow mount box (size of a briefcase) and about a 300w Fosgate amp. I was expecting similar freq range. I'm wondering if the HI/LO is removed and then increase the lowpass filter on the amp will have the sub play a greater range?

I'm probably gonna do the doors too. Saw a thread on the forum where a guy just did a plug-n-play of new subs and the 3.5s or whatever the little ones are.

My volume knob is installed in my cig lighter. They did a great job with that. I'll take pics when I get home again. Just left for 7 days....work.

Another issue....I can hear a lot of panel chatter now with the stronger sub. LOL. UGH...fix one issue, create another.

mfi2000 08-10-2019 04:30 PM

Replacing Nose speakers is an immediate upgrade no matter which car you do it in.
But i think you need to replace the headunit..you need something that can be tuned..

daveb91 01-11-2020 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by mfi2000 (Post 1599944082)
Replacing Nose speakers is an immediate upgrade no matter which car you do it in.
But i think you need to replace the headunit..you need something that can be tuned..

I don't think that's gonna happen unless they make a Aftermarket replacement one of these days like on the Camaro....until then the OEM integration doesnt allow it. Sorry this is couple months old but been doing research