CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   Total Newbie- What Do I Need To Twin Turbo My C5? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/4257628-total-newbie-what-do-i-need-to-twin-turbo-my-c5.html)

AClayP 03-30-2019 02:06 PM

Total Newbie- What Do I Need To Twin Turbo My C5?

Well I'm planning on buying a C5 soon and I want to put twin turbos in it. I looked at other forum posts about this, but looking at some conversations in the posts, talking about parts I have no idea about, it makes me think I won't have any idea on what to do.

So, do I just buy the TT kit then pay a shop to install it, and that's it? What am I missing?

Turpid porpoise 03-30-2019 03:48 PM

Buy a HuronSpeed twin kit and have a friend or two help you install it. It may be intimidating but none of it is overly complicated.

BlackMagicC5 03-30-2019 05:57 PM

I bought the UPP kit and had a shop install it. I love it just make sure you do a decent fuel system. Ive had nitrous and procahrger in the last but I really love the turbos.

arthursc2 03-30-2019 06:14 PM

You're gonna need at least 2 turbos

and some other parts :rofl:

TastyBacon 03-30-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise (Post 1599138053)
Buy a HuronSpeed twin kit and have a friend or two help you install it. It may be intimidating but none of it is overly complicated.

I agree this is the best way to go nowadays.

dizwiz24 03-30-2019 11:09 PM

Had nitrous , hated the inconveniences of it.

now have mild procharger build and love it / even a little scared of it.

can you explain how turbos are even better (than a supercharger) ?

AClayP 03-31-2019 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise (Post 1599138053)

I don't have any friends who are mechanically inclined. Is it realistic for a couple of know-nothings to install one of these kits correctly? Is it like putting IKEA furniture together?

TNBUSA 03-31-2019 01:36 PM

You could just buy mine already done. 2004 Z06 commemorative edition. TTiX twin turbo kit installed professionally ....25 thousand miles...ready to roll needs nothing. 28000.00

neutron82 03-31-2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1599140086)

turbos are more efficient and don't require horsepower to make horsepower like superchargers so everything else being equal the turbos will make more power for that reason... they do introduce their own issues like fitment and heat but blowers have drawbacks as well, both are great power adders though

~Josh 03-31-2019 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by AClayP (Post 1599137566)
Well I'm planning on buying a C5 soon and I want to put twin turbos in it. I looked at other forum posts about this, but looking at some conversations in the posts, talking about parts I have no idea about, it makes me think I won't have any idea on what to do.

So, do I just buy the TT kit then pay a shop to install it, and that's it? What am I missing?

TT is most complex, has the worst crammed packaging, most expensive all together, has most chances for nagging issues (boost creep, etc) when compared to supercharging.

I’ve had a TT ls1 and I don’t think I’ll own another.

aaronc7 03-31-2019 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1599142940)
turbos are more efficient and don't require horsepower to make horsepower like superchargers so everything else being equal the turbos will make more power for that reason... they do introduce their own issues like fitment and heat but blowers have drawbacks as well, both are great power adders though

I'll piggyback on that and in particular centri SC vs turbo. Turbo allows you to control the compressor speed / boost independently of RPM. So if you compare a turbo vs centri SC setup at similar boost levels, the turbo car will make a lot more torque and much more power/torque "area under the curve".... ie will be faster regardless of what peak HP #s might be. Peak boost of 14# might not hit until 6500 rpm on centri blower. Turbo will be running 14# all the way from 3000 rpm to redline.

Because they are not directly driven off the engine, there is some "lag", even at high rpm, but with a well designed manifold design and properly sized turbos this can be minimized. There is a reason turbo is the choice for FI on almost all factory FI cars these days. Exception being some V8 engines.... the PD blowers just package so much better for oem application. Turbo packaging is probably the biggest issue for turbos and C5s. Yes it can be done, but you have to replace a lot of parts to make it work or accept losing A/C or other systems or other compromises etc.

StatmanRN 03-31-2019 04:56 PM

Money. Lots of money.

I always tell people it takes time talant and tools- but money can substitute for all .

I bought a used STS setup and had it professionally installed even though I have a fair amount of turbo experiance and tools. THey were familiar with the system, could get it done in a shorter period and could tune it.

MRc5z 03-31-2019 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by TNBUSA (Post 1599142652)
You could just buy mine already done. 2004 Z06 commemorative edition. TTiX twin turbo kit installed professionally ....25 thousand miles...ready to roll needs nothing. 28000.00

OP needs to just buy this and be done with it

TastyBacon 04-01-2019 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by AClayP (Post 1599142560)
I don't have any friends who are mechanically inclined. Is it realistic for a couple of know-nothings to install one of these kits correctly? Is it like putting IKEA furniture together?

Sorry, but, no. Not trying to be a jerk, not trying to crush your dreams or brag about myself, just trying to save you from a lot of frustration and wasted money. This is not something a person should take on without the skills and experience earned from a few years of working on cars. You really need to understand how everything works and know a few tricks before diving into this level of project. I would either bust some knuckles on a project that is way lower stakes first, or pay a professional to install/tune, or buy a car already done.

BlackMagicC5 04-01-2019 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1599140086)

Sure. I used to ask everyone the same thing and never understood until I finally tried it for myself. On my procharger I made 15psi at 6500rpm and not until 6500rpm. On my turbos I make 15psi at 3500rpm and hold it all the way through 6500rpm. On my procharger if I wanted do 20psi+ I had to change pulley and get retuned. Now I can just increase the boost controller. That comes in handy if you swap back and forth between street tires and drag radials, track vs street, fun vs run ect. All that comes with a price though. Nothing is cut and dry.

BlackMagicC5 04-01-2019 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by MRc5z (Post 1599145828)
OP needs to just buy this and be done with it

I agree 100%. Save yourself a shitload of frustration working out the bugs and save a ton of money.

Black8Banger 04-04-2019 05:08 PM

What are your power goals for the car?
How do you use the car? Street, track?
Are you looking at an auto car or a stick car?

Coming from a guy with a 1200+whp twin turbo stick shift car, I would not go the twin turbo route unless you plan on heavily racing the car. Anything 1000whp or less and I would look at superchargers. That is just my opinion.
You can install a procharger setup on a stock car for much cheaper and much easier than you can install any turbo kit.
Once you start going over that setup, you need to look much more closely at the fuel system, drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, etc....the list gets out of hand quickly.

Turbo-Geist 04-21-2019 12:24 AM

Is this one of those SC vs Turbo threads?

_zebra 04-28-2019 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by AClayP (Post 1599137566)

if you have to ask... you can't afford it! :lol:

FourG63 97GST 04-30-2019 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by AClayP (Post 1599142560)

definitely not with a turbo kit, If your brain isn't wired to overcome mechanical problem solving, have someone with experience do it.
a supercharging can do, there's less room for error on those installs