CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Audio/Electronics (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics-20/)
-   -   2010 c6 base .. what double din to get?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics/4257760-2010-c6-base-what-double-din-to-get.html)

southofHoustonVette 03-30-2019 07:49 PM

2010 c6 base .. what double din to get??

Looking into upgrading the radio wanting a radio to play Bluetooth pandora and google map for a navigation. I am a pioneer fan. And suggestions ?

madsonp 03-31-2019 01:34 AM

I have the Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX in mine, it's a great system, they've since came out with the AVIC W8500 NEX which is their latest and greatest, it's their top of the line system, not cheap but packed full of features. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../AVIC-W8500NEX

southofHoustonVette 03-31-2019 02:01 AM

Dont need the top of the line but want to have backup camera Map Bluetooth ( map can be from the phone not navigation system )

Originally Posted by madsonp (Post 1599140471)
I have the Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX in mine, it's a great system, they've since came out with the AVIC W8500 NEX which is their latest and greatest, it's their top of the line system, not cheap but packed full of features. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P.../AVIC-W8500NEX

olelucky 03-31-2019 05:04 AM

I recently installed the Pioneer 2440 NEX. Has all the features I was looking for. Carplay was the most important to me. I also wanted ability of front and rear cameras. I did install both cameras as well. Very pleased with this unit.

southofHoustonVette 03-31-2019 06:27 AM

Awesome just the help help I was looking for. Can see pics of camera locations?

Originally Posted by olelucky (Post 1599140592)
I recently installed the Pioneer 2440 NEX. Has all the features I was looking for. Carplay was the most important to me. I also wanted ability of front and rear cameras. I did install both cameras as well. Very pleased with this unit.

Boostedsvt 03-31-2019 08:28 AM

I’ve got the 4200, the price wasn’t much more than the 2400 series. I absolutely love it! Didn’t do the front camera but did do the rear. It’s license plate mounted

CrystalRedTed 03-31-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kenny Hammond (Post 1599140499)
Dont need the top of the line but want to have backup camera Map Bluetooth ( map can be from the phone not navigation system )

Another vote for the Pioneer AVIC 8200 NEX. I have the Pioneer AVIC 8201 NEX, which includes a parking camera. The unit can support two for front and rear coverage. The 8500 NEX is the latest and greatest. The 8400 NEX is the 2018 model where wireless CarPlay was first added. These 8xxx models have the capacitive screen, which tends to be easier to see and more responsive. Even if you don't need Nav features, the screen is still a big plus. Like you I tend to mostly use my phone for navigation. However, in remote areas where you might not have cell service it can be nice to have built in maps. Before I had this unit I was driving over Tail of the Dragon. I couldn't re-route due to no cell coverage. The 8xxx also have the ability to adjust the display viewing angle, which can help a lot with glare. I believe other models can also do this, but you have to check the specs.

The 8400 and 8500 don't show as compatible with the C6 on the Crutchfield site. I seem to recall some discussion about this previously and it was something that could be worked around. Definitely something to confirm.

TorchRedFred 03-31-2019 11:07 AM

The Pioneer fanboys beat me here. :D I own a Pioneer 8200nex and I have a hard time recommending Pioneer. They are loaded with features but their sound quality lags behind other major brands like Kenwood, Alpine, and even Sony. If sound quality is important, I would look at one of the other brands mentioned, imo. I have no blind loyalty to any one brand. I use to hate Kenwood for their sound and years ago had a great Pioneer, but since then Kenwood has improved their SQ to compete and be at least on par with Alpine, which has a long history and reputation of good sounding head units. My recommendation would be to look at a Kenwood if shopping today.

CrystalRedTed 03-31-2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred (Post 1599141712)
The Pioneer fanboys beat me here. :D I own a Pioneer 8200nex and I have a hard time recommending Pioneer. They are loaded with features but their sound quality lags behind other major brands like Kenwood, Alpine, and even Sony. If sound quality is important, I would look at one of the other brands mentioned, imo. I have no blind loyalty to any one brand. I use to hate Kenwood for their sound and years ago had a great Pioneer, but since then Kenwood has improved their SQ to compete and be at least on par with Alpine, which has a long history and reputation of good sounding head units. My recommendation would be to look at a Kenwood if shopping today.

i ended up with a Pioneer, but wouldn’t call myself a fanboy. Other brands may be good too, but I haven’t tested them myself and I’m not going to recommend something I haven’t used myself. Have you been able to do any A-B compares in the same car between brands? Of course at some level this can become subjective anyway.

TorchRedFred 03-31-2019 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed (Post 1599141796)
i ended up with a Pioneer, but wouldn’t call myself a fanboy. Other brands may be good too, but I haven’t tested them myself and I’m not going to recommend something I haven’t used myself. Have you been able to do any A-B compares in the same car between brands? Of course at some level this can become subjective anyway.

I have years ago in another car and I will say that a head unit with good SQ makes a big difference. As far as my C6, I have changed everything but the head unit because I was reluctant to give up on what was the top of the line Pioneer. I changed all my speakers and amp for a second time trying to fix my sound complaints to no avail. There was small improvements but the overall sound didn't really change. I then added a DSP to my system to change the sound coming out of the Pioneer and that was enough to satisfy me and I have been pretty happy with the sound since. I know sound can be subjective, but certain brands also have a well deserved reputation for sound quality, and Pioneer hasn't been one of those especially as of late. I thought buying the top of the line Pioneer would give me their best sounding unit, not realizing that their units sound pretty much the same across the board regardless of price point. That is also true for most brands, but like I said some have a better reputation and a higher emphasis on sound quality.

CrystalRedTed 03-31-2019 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred (Post 1599142119)
I have years ago in another car and I will say that a head unit with good SQ makes a big difference. As far as my C6, I have changed everything but the head unit because I was reluctant to give up on what was the top of the line Pioneer. I changed all my speakers and amp for a second time trying to fix my sound complaints to no avail. There was small improvements but the overall sound didn't really change. I then added a DSP to my system to change the sound coming out of the Pioneer and that was enough to satisfy me and I have been pretty happy with the sound since. I know sound can be subjective, but certain brands also have a well deserved reputation for sound quality, and Pioneer hasn't been one of those especially as of late. I thought buying the top of the line Pioneer would give me their best sounding unit, not realizing that their units sound pretty much the same across the board regardless of price point. That is also true for most brands, but like I said some have a better reputation and a higher emphasis on sound quality.

Thanks. I was just curious. I found that leaving the NPP exhaust open fixes most audio system problems. :)

My system is good, but I don’t consider it perfect either. I found that adding a sub got it close enough for my taste. I also use the optional mic and let the system auto adjust. After that I adjust the sub and lows to my taste. I can do a bit better manual if I fiddle. Seems like most modern head units should have enough adjustability to get where you want. In my case I still have the factory amp which I believe adds it’s own color to things as well.

TorchRedFred 03-31-2019 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed (Post 1599142212)
Thanks. I was just curious. I found that leaving the NPP exhaust open fixes most audio system problems. :)

My system is good, but I don’t consider it perfect either. I found that adding a sub got it close enough for my taste. I also use the optional mic and let the system auto adjust. After that I adjust the sub and lows to my taste. I can do a bit better manual if I fiddle. Seems like most modern head units should have enough adjustability to get where you want. In my case I still have the factory amp which I believe adds it’s own color to things as well.

The Pioneer didn't bother me as much when I was still running the factory amp and speakers. At that point it was still an improvement in sound over the stock head unit. The problems with sound quality became more apparent as I started to upgrade the rest of the system and imo, it wasn't coming close to reaching my expectations.

southofHoustonVette 03-31-2019 04:23 PM

Do you have any models to consider?

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred (Post 1599141712)

olelucky 03-31-2019 08:49 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7a7c9ced5.jpeg
front camera
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...10f80e8b07.png
Rear camera

TorchRedFred 03-31-2019 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kenny Hammond (Post 1599143499)
Do you have any models to consider?

It depends on what features you want and what price range you are looking at. Lots of good choices and they should all sound good. If I was shopping today, I would strongly consider the DDX9905s.

southofHoustonVette 03-31-2019 09:34 PM

Awesome I will have to look into it. Do you use the camera for parking and how does it work while driving or parking

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred (Post 1599145170)
It depends on what features you want and what price range you are looking at. Lots of good choices and they should all sound good. If I was shopping today, I would strongly consider the DDX9905s.

TorchRedFred 03-31-2019 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kenny Hammond (Post 1599145194)
Awesome I will have to look into it. Do you use the camera for parking and how does it work while driving or parking

Most models you have to purchase a back up camera separately. I purchased a Pyle PLCM38FRV model off Amazon for about $17. Works great. I went only with a back up camera, but having one is a must-do mod if adding a head unit, imo. Once you do the wiring and install for your head unit, the back up camera comes on automatically when you put it in reverse. Very easy to do. OleLucky posted the pictures of his front and rear camera. To OleLucky, looks good!

southofHoustonVette 03-31-2019 10:01 PM

Yes sir. Sorry I tagged you when I meant it for his question. But I agree. Just was curious how well the front bumper camera came in handy.

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred (Post 1599145303)
Most models you have to purchase a back up camera separately. I purchased a Pyle PLCM38FRV model off Amazon for about $17. Works great. I went only with a back up camera, but having one is a must-do mod if adding a head unit, imo. Once you do the wiring and install for your head unit, the back up camera comes on automatically when you put it in reverse. Very easy to do. OleLucky posted the pictures of his front and rear camera. To OleLucky, looks good!

Originally Posted by olelucky (Post 1599144941)

CrystalRedTed 03-31-2019 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kenny Hammond (Post 1599145333)
Yes sir. Sorry I tagged you when I meant it for his question. But I agree. Just was curious how well the front bumper camera came in handy.

The front camera is handy, but not as important as the rear. If you know you need to get close to a curb or a wall I find it useful. Most other times the car is short enough that it doesn't matter if you end up a foot or two from the curb. Here's a test view of my front cam in the garage. I have a front license plate so I mounted mine next to it. It's offset to the passenger side since that side would be harder to see from the driver's seat.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...10e6f2faa2.jpg

southofHoustonVette 03-31-2019 10:48 PM

Thats pretty cool. I can see where it can come in handy but not a have to have

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTed (Post 1599145396)
The front camera is handy, but not as important as the rear. If you know you need to get close to a curb or a wall I find it useful. Most other times the car is short enough that it doesn't matter if you end up a foot or two from the curb. Here's a test view of my front cam in the garage. I have a front license plate so I mounted mine next to it. It's offset to the passenger side since that side would be harder to see from the driver's seat.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...10e6f2faa2.jpg