CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   94 Vette unable to shift into 1st - grinds (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4259410-94-vette-unable-to-shift-into-1st-grinds.html)

Streamachine 04-03-2019 10:33 PM

94 Vette unable to shift into 1st - grinds

94 Vette - 119 k had clutch replaced at 93k... unable to shift into 1st gear (grinds) all of a sudden and does not go into reverse, now. When Engine is off - can shift well into all gears. I just added clutch fluid as it was low. It is dirty, so I may add and clean fluid (what do you recommend I use). What can cause the problem shifting? Help - thank you!

SJW 04-03-2019 10:42 PM

Fluid was low, probably has air in the line. Pump the clutch pedal up and down rapidly as many times as you can until your leg gets tired. Top off the reservoir if it goes down. Verify no leaks. Probably will be okay, but keep an eye on the fluid level. Do NOT drive the car if the clutch isn't fully releasing, or you'll kill the synchros in the transmission quickly.

Live well,

SJW

Streamachine 04-03-2019 10:58 PM

Very good - will give that a try. Many thanks.

Streamachine 04-03-2019 11:04 PM

Okay Thank you! ….Any suggestion on the best or appropriate brake fluid to use? Brand? Dot 3 - which is what it calls for I believe, or Dot4?

65Z01 04-04-2019 11:56 AM

On the filler cap of my '89 is written "Use Dot 3".

hcbph 04-04-2019 12:33 PM

Yup - likely the fluid is low or air in the line. Been there, done that. I had the clutch master and slave replaced on mine and he was not able to get all the air out. He bled it best he could but didn't get it all out. Fried who once worked for Chevy. On his suggestion, with the engine off, pump the clutch 8 or 10 times and the last time hold it for like 5 minutes. Next slide your foot off the clutch and let it pop up on it's own. With luck, it will push any air in the line back to the reservoir. You may have to do it a couple of times but that's what I did and it worked out just fine.

Good luck

Streamachine 04-07-2019 12:06 AM

Everything you suggested WORKED perfectly. Thank you again. Shifting Again!

Dr-G 04-13-2019 11:06 PM

Microcenter Flash Drives.

Originally Posted by hcbph (Post 1599167155)
Yup - likely the fluid is low or air in the line. Been there, done that. I had the clutch master and slave replaced on mine and he was not able to get all the air out... With the engine off, pump the clutch 8 or 10 times and the last time hold it for like 5 minutes. Next slide your foot off the clutch and let it pop up on it's own.

Good luck

I hope this is what's going on with mine. I was having an issue after I picked it up. The guy I bought it from failed to mention it was leaking clutch fluid. I was stuck driving home and it started acting up. Refilled and was better, just had the master and slave replaced and my mech said he purged all the air but still have some grinding going into second, now a little in 4th when I was ragging on it. I will try this trick. Maybe there is still air. I have a feeling I bent something or may have toasted the synchros.

BillDurant 04-14-2019 10:19 AM

I've learned on my 89 a 30 year old car to check all the fluids every week

hcbph 04-14-2019 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dr-G (Post 1599222675)
I hope this is what's going on with mine. I was having an issue after I picked it up. The guy I bought it from failed to mention it was leaking clutch fluid. I was stuck driving home and it started acting up. Refilled and was better, just had the master and slave replaced and my mech said he purged all the air but still have some grinding going into second, now a little in 4th when I was ragging on it. I will try this trick. Maybe there is still air. I have a feeling I bent something or may have toasted the synchros.

If it shifts in and out of gear with the engine off just fine, here's one more to try if you want. With the engine on, pump the clutch a bunch of times and if it goes into gear fine then it's definitely air (assuming fluid is up to snuff). When I had my master and slave replaced even though my mechanic bled the system 2 or 3 times there was still residual air in it. Doing the process I noted earlier it got all the air out and has worked just fine ever since.

Dr-G 04-14-2019 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by hcbph (Post 1599224674)
If it shifts in and out of gear with the engine off just fine, here's one more to try if you want. With the engine on, pump the clutch a bunch of times and if it goes into gear fine then it's definitely air (assuming fluid is up to snuff). When I had my master and slave replaced even though my mechanic bled the system 2 or 3 times there was still residual air in it. Doing the process I noted earlier it got all the air out and has worked just fine ever since.

I will give that a try also. Thanks!

dizwiz24 04-14-2019 05:59 PM

Did anyone replace the trans fluid also?
if you use an unapproved fluid - like bmw castrol engine oil 10w-60, this too can cause notchy
shifts - or even complete failure to engage the next gear at WOT - as was my experience

Dr-G 04-14-2019 10:12 PM

That's my Tuesday this week. I'm gonna call him tomorrow and say "You didn't test drive it did you?" :toetap: Then I will ask about fluid.