CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   Sliding all over the road - rear end (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4260873-sliding-all-over-the-road-rear-end.html)

michelve 04-08-2019 02:05 PM

Sliding all over the road - rear end

I have a 2015 stingray, has 45,000 miles on it.

If I hit a bump or join (like bridge) in the road, crack, uneven surface the car skates all over the road, like on ice (mostly felt in the rear section).

Things i have changed:
- to z51 sways bar and aFe Control PFADT Series Heavy Duty Street End Links
- to z51 shock (non electronic - less than 8K miles on vehicle)
- lowered vehicle on stock bolts all the way down

Notes: the issue mentioned above was not present after this upgrades

Things i have done:

- my front two tires were bad, so i had to get new front tires (same as factory)
- new alignment (see attachment)
- I noticed a crack in the ball joint bushings rear right, so
- Jacked the car up and then put my hands in the 12 and 6 positions of each wheel and see if i could rock the wheel back and forth vertically - (nothing happened - was steady and firm)
- i recheck the adjustable Sway bar End Links ( was good )

- 30psi pressure (good)

Can any one help or give me some feedback and things i should check or missed?

Thanks

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e46b783f77.jpg

BrunoTheMellow 04-08-2019 04:22 PM

You just saidnthe issue isn't present anymore....

michelve 04-08-2019 04:23 PM

@BrunoTheMellow yes the issue is still present

BrunoTheMellow 04-08-2019 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by michelve (Post 1599189858)
@BrunoTheMellow yes the issue is still present

You need to get your rear caster fixed. Not many shops know what the hell that is so you may have to research yourself or find a dealer that can.

michelve 04-08-2019 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow (Post 1599189869)
You need to get your rear caster fixed. Not many shops know what the hell that is so you may have to research yourself or find a dealer that can.

that was my last thing to try, just trying to see if it could be something else

Gary barnes 1098 04-10-2019 05:05 PM

Bet ya anything it’s rear caster. My was spot on then dealer did an alignment and had it out 2 degrees. Huge vette dealership but as usual didn’t know nota about rear caster!!! Had to have shop make a gage and did it for them!!! Dealers suck sooo bad!!!

phantom1 04-10-2019 06:48 PM

Rear control arms could make it sway, if the bolts are loose, or the Bushings are bad.

spinkick 04-11-2019 04:56 PM

It is so hard finding a shop that knows how to set rear caster. Up here, there is only one dealer that wasnt completely clueless.

subieworx 04-15-2019 02:26 PM

Definitely rear caster.

michelve 04-20-2019 06:24 PM

So I started removing and putting back stock components as suggested and I found the culprit while doing this, the lower arm control is leaking oil and the boot is cracked definitively in bad shape, I ordered the replacement parts.

i removed all the bolts except this section, is this section hard pressed, I tried with a spry bar and nothing with a rubber hammer and nothing any suggestion? See photos

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...232e8ca43.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...63dcefe3f.jpeg

BrunoTheMellow 04-20-2019 06:51 PM

A leaking boot won't cause you to slide around. Yes... Your spindle lower bearing is pressed in.

You should take it to a professional. Sounds like you need to do some more research before trying to pry stuff apart.

rb185afm 04-22-2019 02:33 PM

One problem is your dropped all the way down. The lowering bolts are meant for corner balancing. If your all the way down your taking out to much suspension travel, which will cause you to lose traction faster. Fix your caster and give your suspension it’s range back. Slammed cars handle like crap.

Edit: see you found a leak. I still recommend bringing the car an inch and then getting your caster set correctly for optimal handling.

BrunoTheMellow 04-22-2019 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by rb185afm (Post 1599271780)
One problem is your dropped all the way down. The lowering bolts are meant for corner balancing. If your all the way down your taking out to much suspension travel, which will cause you to lose traction faster. Fix your caster and give your suspension it’s range back. Slammed cars handle like crap.

Edit: see you found a leak. I still recommend bringing the car an inch and then getting your caster set correctly for optimal handling.

Nah. Youll still compress a whole buttload lowered all the way down. It does nothing for traction.

rb185afm 04-22-2019 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow (Post 1599272206)
Nah. Youll still compress a whole buttload lowered all the way down. It does nothing for traction.

i disagree. Going to low does affect traction at the limit as we have moved the limit. In my opinion, all the way down on stock bolts looks great but does sacrifice grip. A good test, run some laps corner balanced and then again slammed on the stock bolts. Lap times will suffer, a lot.

BrunoTheMellow 04-22-2019 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by rb185afm (Post 1599272771)
i disagree. Going to low does affect traction at the limit as we have moved the limit. In my opinion, all the way down on stock bolts looks great but does sacrifice grip. A good test, run some laps corner balanced and then again slammed on the stock bolts. Lap times will suffer, a lot.

That's due to lack of balanced weight. Not lack of suspension travel. These springs are linear. You're nowhere near the limit of travel at the track. Corner balance doesn't really matter on the street anyway.

z51vett 04-25-2019 08:09 PM

Get your caster set I speak from experience my Z06 kept trying to pass me.
z51vett
Doug

phantom1 05-17-2019 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by michelve (Post 1599189899)
that was my last thing to try, just trying to see if it could be something else

Did you fix it?

:lurk:

Harris 05-18-2019 07:50 PM

Eismann’s Corvette Center in Jupiter, Florida can properly align your car if you haven’t fixed already.

village idiot 05-21-2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow (Post 1599272826)
That's due to lack of balanced weight. Not lack of suspension travel. These springs are linear. You're nowhere near the limit of travel at the track. Corner balance doesn't really matter on the street anyway.

Except you effectively have no suspension for the first inch of travel.

X25 05-24-2019 05:18 AM

I'd also recommend raising the car. Your suspension needs more travel to handle those shocks you run into at the bridge.

Did you end up giving your issue?