CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Anyone installing HUD for C6? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4261905-anyone-installing-hud-for-c6.html)

d-rockRN 04-11-2019 08:52 AM

Anyone installing HUD for C6?

As the title states..... is there anyone installing HUD for the C6? Bought my first non HUD corvette and would like to have it added. Thanks

madsonp 04-11-2019 10:24 AM

Search and ye shall find. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uying-hud.html

cgladish 04-11-2019 06:20 PM

do you mind if I ask why you want one?
I'm assuming that you've at least driven a vehicle with this option.
for what's it's worth, I rarely use mine ( HUD ).
the only performance info that it provides different, than the standard gauges, is the G-meter.
for me it's more of a visual distraction. it is a neat gimmick, but for me, I find it redundant.
maybe it's my old school thinking.
make sure you really want. a fair amount of work to install. and with it being an after market install, will not add any value ( may even hurt it a bit ).
be sure you really want it.

K-Spaz 04-11-2019 09:18 PM

I love mine and I wouldn't be without it. I added one to my 98 C5. The job is not that big a deal in my opinion. Much easier actually on the C6 than on the C5.

Buy the HUD and install it. I would say it take about 3 hours if you've never had that part of the car apart before.

d-rockRN 04-11-2019 09:38 PM

I saw that already, I was looking for someone who has experience installing them

d-rockRN 04-11-2019 09:39 PM

This is my 4th corvette and the last two I have owned had the HUD, I really like having it. I would prefer to have it but maybe I just need sometime without it

K-Spaz 04-11-2019 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by d-rockRN (Post 1599210407)
I saw that already, I was looking for someone who has experience installing them

I put one in the C5. Not much to it. You get a little nervous when you take a utility knife to the dash but you can't be a sissy.

Originally Posted by d-rockRN (Post 1599210419)
This is my 4th corvette and the last two I have owned had the HUD, I really like having it. I would prefer to have it but maybe I just need sometime without it

no, I would say it's time to get a HUD.

Dman302 04-11-2019 11:22 PM

Installed in my 05, cut the duct, taped back together....good vent flow and HUD is a great addition. I wouldn’t call it tough, just a 2 hour standard issue crap a knuckle get it done job. Buy a good wire crimping tool and a volt meter to check continuity on the T-taps. Love mine.

Mikelofty 04-11-2019 11:55 PM

Excellent addition- did mine last week... about 2 hours with the “cut vent” method. Love it!
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0e31b07df.jpeg

cgladish 04-12-2019 09:53 AM

that is the main thing, that you like it. it's that I do not like mine, but I find that a rarely use it.
my use of the main gauges is limited too. I really only use the tach when I'm pushing it hard.
otherwise, just shifting by feel.
I may be in the minority on this, but I would be fine without.
the other issue I have is the distraction caused by, the reflection of the HUD opening, on the windshield.
great technology, but that in itself, doesn't always equate to great application.
in the end, that's why all of these options are offered, something for everyone!
enjoy whatever you have!

d-rockRN 04-12-2019 09:55 AM

thanks for your input everyone

PCMusicGuy 04-12-2019 10:53 AM

I can't imagine not having the HUD. It is the only way that I can keep an eye on every temperature at once in my car without having to fiddle with buttons.

cgladish 04-12-2019 11:15 AM

how often has your temp been a problem? or oil pressure? oil temp?
again, I'm not knocking the purpose of a HUD, but its use is not necessary for daily driving.
along those lines, how often do you actually use the tach ( or any gauge for that matter )?
I can't imagine that you'd be constantly viewing these. occasionally while driving yes. but if you feel the need
to keep on top of things that much, you may have bigger issues to worry about.
if your car is running normal, what concerns do you have?
and again, if you enjoy using the HUD, that's great. all I'm saying is, that it isn't really necessary ( when combined with standard gauge).

K-Spaz 04-12-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by cgladish (Post 1599213164)
again, I'm not knocking the purpose of a HUD, but its use is not necessary for daily driving.
along those lines, how often do you actually use the tach ( or any gauge for that matter )?
I can't imagine that you'd be constantly viewing these. occasionally while driving yes. but if you feel the need
and again, if you enjoy using the HUD, that's great. all I'm saying is, that it isn't really necessary ( when combined with standard gauge).

For daily driving, I like it for speed and turn signals (since my wheel turns so little it often doesn't turn them off). The rest of it is fluff imo, there's no way I'd be looking at oil pressure for instance when I"m on it. I ain't got time for that crap. :lol: The gizmo discussed in the other thread here about the USB/OBD DIC and HUD re-programmer is the device for that. Have audible alarms set and now we're talking.

cgladish 04-12-2019 12:16 PM

the HUD is an interesting option.
I guess my position would be, I'm not trying to talk someone out having a HUD but, I need someone to convince me of its actual value ( to the daily driver ).
on a difference thread, a retired corvette engineer is offering an upgrade to the mag ride suspension.
this sounds great, but I feel that the benefits may be beyond what the daily driver really needs or, would appreciate ( more of a track use ).
just like everyone who wants more power ( I'm guilty of this too ), for street use, how much is really needed?

steig 04-12-2019 12:27 PM

I am looking to add HUD on my C6.
Had HUD on 2 corvettes before this one. Really liked the HUD, i think its worth it.
I wanted a Corvette with HUD, but came across the one I bought. Now I would like to install HUD.

You can buy the parts from GM dealer for around 300, wire harness for 90.

Not bad for less than 400.

Landru 04-13-2019 12:29 PM

Love my HUD, 3rd Corvette w/ it.
Whenever driving truck or our CTS I'm constantly looking for it. :thumbs:

Any old timers remember years ago an outfit called Techtronics, was a forum sponsor?
TTs marketed a small box which plugged into OBDII port, radar detector plugged into box. $100.
RD alarms now projected on HUD w/ signal intensity, was supposed to project band type also, mine never did.
Still handy, w/ music blaring once I'd missed an alert & got tagged, contraption gets the attention visually.

HUD's a must.

airmed2 04-13-2019 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by cgladish (Post 1599213164)

Ok, we get that you don't care for it.

h8snow 04-13-2019 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by steig (Post 1599213773)
I am looking to add HUD on my C6.
Had HUD on 2 corvettes before this one. Really liked the HUD, i think its worth it.
I wanted a Corvette with HUD, but came across the one I bought. Now I would like to install HUD.

You can buy the parts from GM dealer for around 300, wire harness for 90.

Not bad for less than 400.

Can you imagine what these parts would cost if was for a Porsche, BMW, some Italian something $$$$$$. What makes Corvette fun to own.

steig 04-14-2019 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by h8snow (Post 1599220102)
Can you imagine what these parts would cost if was for a Porsche, BMW, some Italian something $$$$$$. What makes Corvette fun to own.

I agree. :iagree: