CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Audio/Electronics (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics-20/)
-   -   2008 C6-Z06 / Pioneer AVH-2550NEX / Your Two Cents Please (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics/4262054-2008-c6-z06-pioneer-avh-2550nex-your-two-cents-please.html)

mdaniel 04-11-2019 03:06 PM

2008 C6-Z06 / Pioneer AVH-2550NEX / Your Two Cents Please

A Pioneer AVH-2550NEX headunit was recommended for my 2008 C6-Z06 which came with Bose speakers and a factory Navigation system (which means it doesn't include an auxiliary audio or port USB port).

My understanding is if I wish to maintain steering wheel controls I need one of the following: PAC RP5-GM11 ($100), PAC GM1A-RST ($280), or iDataLink Maestro SW ($60).

I don't plan to run an external amplifier or subwoofer although I may swap out the factory speakers at some point.

My chief goal of this project for iPhone connectivity to support Spotify and Waze.

Thoughts, recommendations, admonitions?

Thanks

VinceC5 04-11-2019 03:55 PM

You will also need a dash kit. If you buy the radio from crutchfield, you can get the kit and rp5-gm11 for ~$55

madsonp 04-11-2019 09:36 PM

The Maestro SW is only a steering wheel control interface, it won't do you any good with the rest of your stereo, the RP5 or GM1A will both interface your stereo to your car AND give you the steering wheel controls, the difference between the two is that the GM1A is their latest and greatest interface, you can read a write-up I did on the differences between the two here. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...interface.html

TorchRedFred 04-11-2019 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by madsonp (Post 1599210386)
The Maestro SW is only a steering wheel control interface, it won't do you any good with the rest of your stereo, the RP5 or GM1A will both interface your stereo to your car AND give you the steering wheel controls, the difference between the two is that the GM1A is their latest and greatest interface, you can read a write-up I did on the differences between the two here. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...interface.html

Is it the greatest? I'm still not convinced of that.

madsonp 04-12-2019 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred (Post 1599211103)
Is it the greatest? I'm still not convinced of that.

Not necessarily as you could tell from my write up, that's just a commonly used phrase meaning their newest, however, if I was starting from scratch, and knowing what I know about the two, I'd buy the GM1A over the RP5

TorchRedFred 04-12-2019 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by madsonp (Post 1599211351)
Not necessarily as you could tell from my write up, that's just a commonly used phrase meaning their newest, however, if I was starting from scratch, and knowing what I know about the two, I'd buy the GM1A over the RP5

Imo, simplicity is king when it comes to an interface. I just want something that connects my head unit to the car without cutting up the cars wiring. Adding more features or adjustments to an interface is just gimmicks by the manufacturer to raise their price, but also makes the install more confusing and complicated for the novice installer who won't make the proper adjustments regardless.

madsonp 04-12-2019 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred (Post 1599213065)
Imo, simplicity is king when it comes to an interface. I just want something that connects my head unit to the car without cutting up the cars wiring. Adding more features or adjustments to an interface is just gimmicks by the manufacturer to raise their price, but also makes the install more confusing and complicated for the novice installer who won't make the proper adjustments regardless.

Where did I say there was any cutting up of the cars wiring ? Once you have the harness from the head unit wired up, the GM1A is plug and play just like the RP5. The addition of the features and elimination of the chime module in my opinion, is the advancement of the technology, and integration with a computer like you see with any product, and I believe you'll see further advancements down the road. You by chance aren't still using a flip phone are you ?

TorchRedFred 04-12-2019 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by madsonp (Post 1599213430)
Where did I say there was any cutting up of the cars wiring ? Once you have the harness from the head unit wired up, the GM1A is plug and play just like the RP5. The addition of the features and elimination of the chime module in my opinion, is the advancement of the technology, and integration with a computer like you see with any product, and I believe you'll see further advancements down the road. You by chance aren't still using a flip phone are you ?

Madsonp, you are missing the point of what the interface is suppose to do. Its purpose is to make your head unit plug into the factory harness to avoid cutting any wires, and also to help retain any stock functions you may have lost by replacing the factory unit, like door chime for example. And that's all I want it to do, that's it, nothing more. If I want to make adjustments to my system, I do it through the head unit, or the amp, and/or the DSP I have added to my system. This was all expensive equipment that I paid good money for. Why do I want to be making any adjustments through a cheaply built plastic box that gets buried behind my head unit and don't have access to. If I want to make any changes in the future I have to remove the entire head unit to get to it? How does that make any sense. In addition to that, these interface's are all overpriced crap, cheaply built with tons of quality control issues. I don't want them doing anything more than what's necessary.

PS, no flip phone. Picture of me using my laptop to make adjustments through my installed DSP.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...063a66bc8.jpeg

madsonp 04-13-2019 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred (Post 1599216799)
Madsonp, you are missing the point of what the interface is suppose to do. Its purpose is to make your head unit plug into the factory harness to avoid cutting any wires, and also to help retain any stock functions you may have lost by replacing the factory unit, like door chime for example. And that's all I want it to do, that's it, nothing more. If I want to make adjustments to my system, I do it through the head unit, or the amp, and/or the DSP I have added to my system. This was all expensive equipment that I paid good money for. Why do I want to be making any adjustments through a cheaply built plastic box that gets buried behind my head unit and don't have access to. If I want to make any changes in the future I have to remove the entire head unit to get to it? How does that make any sense. In addition to that, these interface's are all overpriced crap, cheaply built with tons of quality control issues. I don't want them doing anything more than what's necessary.

PS, no flip phone. Picture of me using my laptop to make adjustments through my installed DSP.

I fully understand what the interfaces purpose is, I've been installing them in a number of different vehicles of my own since they came out, and have been dealing with stereo installations for over 40 years. I fail to see why you're so opposed to any improvements in them, I figured you be one to embrace the improvements just like you have with your processor. You may not currently want the interface to do anything else, but I myself would very much like see them with more connectivity with a computer to where you could, for example, assign the steering wheel control functions from your computer, instead of having to deal with the current button setup, This, in addition to the firmware up-dates and changes to the configuration, and the expandability option such as the VS41 camera switcher (which by the way I've added to my system) that adds an option that's currently not available from the car or the head unit, all of which are now available on the GM1A. As mine is now, if I want access it, I just left the USB cable connected to it, so anytime I want to do a firmware up-date, or make changes to the camera switcher configuration for example, alls I need to do is plug it into my computer, no longer any need to pull the head unit out, then when I'm done, I just tuck the cable away until I need to access it again.

TorchRedFred 04-13-2019 10:49 AM

Madsonp, I am not questioning your knowledge on audio or interfaces so don't take it personally. But I do find it difficult to recommend the GMA1-RST. In addition to the things I mentioned in my post above, about keeping interfaces simple and their questionable build quality, the other problem with the GMA1-RST is the price. The GMA1 is not available for sale in many places, so your options are to buy it from Pac for $280 or I see one on eBay now for $200. I know you got yours for basically free and then added the VS41 camera switch for another $70, but for most people to invest $200-300 plus into an interface for a C6 is not an option or a good value. For those reasons, I kind of cringe when the GMA1-RST comes up in normal conversation as an interface option.

Gixxerman 04-13-2019 10:55 AM

I have a nex in a car, the ones with side controls are horrible, I would get unit that has the little buttons on the bottom. The units work, but do work a little quirky at times, but that's Pioneer as much as the connector boxes. You may not be able to program every single thing the way you want it. They are still nice units.. I owned a Kenwood as well, but the darn thing just kept failing, maybe someone else bought them out as quality last few years not so great in my book.Keep the Android auto connection cable as short as possible , as longer cheap cords do not work or fail. You will connect, but to actually use NAV and other features you must has physical connection to phone. Remote useless as your right there anyway.

madsonp 04-13-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred (Post 1599219054)
Madsonp, I am not questioning your knowledge on audio or interfaces so don't take it personally. But I do find it difficult to recommend the GMA1-RST. In addition to the things I mentioned in my post above, about keeping interfaces simple and their questionable build quality, the other problem with the GMA1-RST is the price. The GMA1 is not available for sale in many places, so your options are to buy it from Pac for $280 or I see one on eBay now for $200. I know you got yours for basically free and then added the VS41 camera switch for another $70, but for most people to invest $200-300 plus into an interface for a C6 is not an option or a good value. For those reasons, I kind of cringe when the GMA1-RST comes up in normal conversation as an interface option.

I agree right now the price is a little over the top, but if you recall it was also high on the RP5 when it first came out, I know I paid much more for my RP5 a few years ago than what you can find them for now, I'm sure you'll also see the GM1A come down in price in the future. As far as their build quality, I personally have never had any problems with any of the ones I've owned and, like I mentioned, I've used a number of different ones over the years, in different vehicles, maybe I'm just lucky.

madsonp 04-13-2019 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gixxerman (Post 1599219087)
I have a nex in a car, the ones with side controls are horrible, I would get unit that has the little buttons on the bottom. The units work, but do work a little quirky at times, but that's Pioneer as much as the connector boxes. You may not be able to program every single thing the way you want it. They are still nice units.. I owned a Kenwood as well, but the darn thing just kept failing, maybe someone else bought them out as quality last few years not so great in my book.Keep the Android auto connection cable as short as possible , as longer cheap cords do not work or fail. You will connect, but to actually use NAV and other features you must has physical connection to phone. Remote useless as your right there anyway.

Even the Pioneers with the buttons on the bottom which is what I have (8200 NEX) aren't very user friendly while trying to drive, I think they've all pretty much gotten away from knobs because most vehicles now have steering wheel controls now. Before I added steering wheel controls to my Vette, I had a small remote velcro'ed to the center console, I found this easier to control the system with while driving, but the steering wheel controls are so much nicer.

Tusc 04-16-2019 12:31 AM

In what way does it support Waze? OOooh, now I'm curious because I run the 2400nex in my 99 and am swapping it to my 03 soon. Maybe I need to step up a generation. Though I am an Android user vs Apple.

Edit: no significant difference from 2400 for me other than appearance (button layout now on left vs bottom) and Spotify is built-in. Sticking with what I've got. Love these Pioneers with the cell-phone-quality touch screen. Worlds better than most others on the market.

mdaniel 04-17-2019 11:24 AM

Ordered a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head-unit, PAC RP5-GM11 (for maintaining steering wheel controls), Metra 95-3304 dash kit, Metra 40-GM10 antenna adapter, and eRapta ERT01 backup camera with MicroBypass kit.
Thanks guys,

madsonp 04-18-2019 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by mdaniel (Post 1599242697)
Ordered a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head-unit, PAC RP5-GM11 (for maintaining steering wheel controls), Metra 95-3304 dash kit, Metra 40-GM10 antenna adapter, and eRapta ERT01 backup camera with MicroBypass kit.
Thanks guys,

You didn't need to buy the antenna adapter, the RP5-GM11 comes with one, as seen here.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3a27d34711.png

mdaniel 05-22-2019 10:20 PM

Update/Follow-up: I’ve had the new head-unit installed for a number of weeks.
No issues whatsoever with fitment.
All I can say is I wish I would have upgraded sooner - my Z06 is considerably more enjoyable to drive now..
Cheers,
Mark

madsonp 05-22-2019 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by mdaniel (Post 1599450000)
All I can say is I wish I would have upgraded sooner - my Z06 is considerably more enjoyable to drive now..
Cheers,
Mark

Yep, makes a big difference :thumbs:

spoon man 05-24-2020 04:59 AM

Hey guys, I picked up this head unit and I’m wondering what the latest and greatest is.

i just have the radio so I need everything else. I don’t use on star.

What should I get and I’d like to go with a back up camera. Any advice on a nice lower budget subwoofer set up? Two tens I think.

02BlownZ06 05-24-2020 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mdaniel (Post 1599450000)
Cheers,
Mark

Glad you like it! I installed a Pioneer and loved all the features and how it functioned but I could never get it to sound good in a fairly high end system so it came out. Many swear by them though, so glad you are happy.