CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   caliper problem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4262527-caliper-problem.html)

choopes 04-12-2019 03:57 PM

caliper problem

I decided to replace the rear brake shoes on my 1993 coupe when I heard the dreaded metal on metal scraping indicating worn out disc pads, as well as a new disc for the one with the wear. Driver's side. But I couldn't get the shoe to compress enough to get the new pads over the disc. After looking at it , it appears the piece that pushed the pads to engage the brakes, (I think that is the shoe) in cock eyed. I compressed it with a C clamp as the FSM says to do. Maybe I damaged it, or maybe it was it's time. The only option I see is to replace the caliper. There is a caliper repair kit. What is best? Then I gotta do the other side...
Caliper cock eyed

choopes 04-12-2019 03:59 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...893ecddf3f.jpg
cock eyed caliper

65Z01 04-13-2019 03:15 AM

Can't tell from the pic but if the piston is pushed in cock-eyed it quite likely has damaged the caliper bore.

If you need do one side it would be best to do the axle, IMO.

jmgtp 04-13-2019 09:19 AM

Are you sure it is the piston making it appear cocked and not the parking brake pintle? Might not be anything wrong at all.

aklim 04-13-2019 03:31 PM

DOH. I just checked. It isn't twist and push. It is just push. If the piston went in hard, I'd be definitely changing it. Whenever doing pads, I open the bleeder screw to get out the crud at the bottom before pushing it in. Piston still looks cockeyed so maybe a pair of calipers isn't a bad idea. You should probably do a fluid flush anyways.

choopes 04-13-2019 03:35 PM

It was in there crooked, not straight. Sorry I got censored.
I tried to push on the brake pedal forcing it out then using my friends brake comressing tool to push it in, but I can't get it to go in enough to get it over the new pads. A replacement caliper. It is the original caliper. Is there a place that repairs the one you send in?

aklim 04-13-2019 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by choopes (Post 1599220577)
It was in there crooked, not straight. Sorry I got censored.
I tried to push on the brake pedal forcing it out then using my friends brake comressing tool to push it in, but I can't get it to go in enough to get it over the new pads. A replacement caliper. It is the original caliper. Is there a place that repairs the one you send in?

I'm going to say that it is FUBAR based on what you said. If it isn't necessary for you to get the original caliper, I would think you are better getting a pair of replacement calipers. If it has pushed a notch into the bore, NFW would I want it back unless I would drive it up and down the driveway only.

choopes 04-16-2019 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs (Post 1599221421)
I got out my 95 (same as 93) FSM and took a look. I have a suggestion from my reading: Make SURE the park brake is fully released, AND that the cables are slack. If the cables have been adjusted for some reason, after replacing the first side's pads, the park brake may be slightly applied, not allowing the new pads on the second side to fit, because the PB mechanism is slightly engaged.
Disconnect the PB cable from the offending side, and try again. If the pads now fit, work on the cables.

I removed the caliber with the emergency brake attachment to engage the brake removed, but thanks for the suggestion. I ordered a new right side rear caliper from Oriely's. Everyone wants a core, so ordering one on line is impracticable. I broke a allan wrench trying to get the bracket off that supports the emergency brake cable. I got it soaking w WD40 overnight. Going to get me one on a socket drive, rather then the L.
If all goes well, I need to do the other side, rear next.

aklim 04-16-2019 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by choopes (Post 1599236377)
I removed the caliber with the emergency brake attachment to engage the brake removed, but thanks for the suggestion. I ordered a new right side rear caliper from Oriely's. Everyone wants a core, so ordering one on line is impracticable. I broke a allan wrench trying to get the bracket off that supports the emergency brake cable. I got it soaking w WD40 overnight. Going to get me one on a socket drive, rather then the L.
If all goes well, I need to do the other side, rear next.

I bought from Autozone. Bought it and paid for the core. Return the core at the local store and got money back