CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C8 or C7? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4262668-c8-or-c7.html)

TKgs2010 04-12-2019 11:22 PM

C8 or C7?

I'm sure most saw the announcement that the C8 will be revealed in July, along with the announcement of the last C7 being built in June. Having heard many different rumors in the last several months involving all things, such as if the C7 and C8 will be offered together, whether manual option availability, etc., how many are interested in the C8, not interested, doing the wait and see thing, or keeping the C7? Myself, I have a brand new C7 ZO6 7M, so I fall into the wait and see category. Thoughts?

Psychodo 04-12-2019 11:46 PM

Just bought a C7, so not interested. In 3- 5 years, when the car is sorted out, I may take a look but it's not on my radar right now.

Gixxerman 04-12-2019 11:51 PM

:iagree:

Fogboundturtle 04-12-2019 11:56 PM

All C7 will stop working when the C8 comes out... It's a fact.../s

the C8 doesn't really make the C7 less appealing.

roadbike56 04-13-2019 12:06 AM

I was very excited about a couple months ago. As time has gone on and I've seen more of the camo cars, my interest decreased until now my interest is very low. I want to see it, but don't want to buy it. Absolutely will stay with the C7 for at least another two years. After that, we'll see.

Exia 04-13-2019 12:11 AM

I have a new Z06 M7 arriving in May or early June. Mid engines cool but its a big difference from a a front engine. This is my only vehicle and I can put everything I could ever ask for into the hatch of the C7. I don't think I could say the same for the C8. Not to mention the high possibility of no manual. I will enjoy my C7 and will see what the C8 Z06 offers. I don't want a base C8 but I'd love to pick up a mid engine Corvette at some point that puts 200-300k Lambos, Mclaren's, Ferrari's to shame while maintaining exotic car looks and sounds for half the price but I will most certainly be keeping my C7 if the front engine, manual Corvette is no longer going to be built. So I guess I'm in the keep my C7 and also buy a world class American mid engine super car camp or as you put it, wait and see.

coupeguyz51 04-13-2019 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by TKgs2010 (Post 1599217572)
I'm sure most saw the announcement that the C8 will be revealed in July, along with the announcement of the last C7 being built in June. Having heard many different rumors in the last several months involving all things, such as if the C7 and C8 will be offered together, whether manual option availability, etc., how many are interested in the C8, not interested, doing the wait and see thing, or keeping the C7? Myself, I have a brand new C7 ZO6 7M, so I fall into the wait and see category. Thoughts?

I ordered my 2014 Z51 3LT M7 in July 2013, took delivery in October. I love this car and while I could well afford it, I have no intention of ordering a C8...I just don't like the lines..short front, big ass, meeeh....ME might well do better on the track, but since I don't do that the extra few seconds you may get going round don't matter to me...since adding a supercharger, performance is just fine....imo, the styling of the C7 is the best of the bunch.

FunDriver 04-13-2019 01:15 AM

Pretty happy with my 2016 Z51 A8 and don't plan on getting a C8. I had a 91 NSX when they first came out and really liked it. But as a mid-engine it had very little trunk space and no removable top. I really like the C7 looks so don't see what a C8 would offer that I would want or need.

SilverGhost 04-13-2019 01:17 AM

GM has tried to emulate Porsche with rear engine and mid engine offerings before. both endeavors ended badly, unsafe at any speed for the rear engine and two recalls of every me car made for engine fires, ala Ferrari. 66 years of trying and GM still can't make a perfectly sorted FE sports car, witness the gremlins in the C7. That said, their FE c7 "can" be made bugger proof by the owner, as long as you don't mind quality control from the mind of Larry, Daryl and Daryl, the QC brain trust at BG. And, from the same guys that bring you the C7 with a complaint a week from an owner on this forum for a car that has essentially been in production since '53; i read alot of false hopes that somehow, someway, GM is going to have a clean slate, perfectly manufactured at the SAME plant as the problematic C7, totally unfamiliar to the young assembly line pups at BG, C8 me car rolling off the line this year in mass quantity that will be perfection personnified, for $200,000 less than any me v8 supermobile currently on the market. Personally i see a test mule that pulls into a filling station on its own power, and leaves on a wrecker.

life with me supercars, i have a doctor friend who owns a Ford GT 05. apparently the Ricardo 6sp transmission has a weak 3rd gear synchronizer, and cannot be repaired. So just to be safe, my friend bought a replacement Ricardo tranny for spare, $18k. chump change for him. i was riding shotgun when his door card fell off in his lap. i thanked the big guy it wasn't my passenger door card in my lap. the point is, guys who drive supercars are curiously quiet about the foibles of their coupla hundred grand machines. they don't rant and rave over the little things you read about in this forum. in that way the value of the car remains and it's air of invincibility and object of desire cachet continues to lure young men to their financial ruin.

if GM's new Corviero isn't spot on perfect, the 29,000 first year buyers are gonna let this forum know. And familiarity breeds contempt, not enhanced resale value. So i have a nice ride in my c7 that has done none of the oopsies i read about here, and i have no track days or racing for pink slips matches scheduled in the future for which a me might be a "technically" better car, so like the popcorn eating cartoon guy that shows up here from time to time, i await the new Game of Thrones, as a spectator, not a buyer.

ZO6 cracker 04-13-2019 06:26 AM

I’m sticking with my new 19 Z06. If I was planning on a C8 I would not have bought my C7. Maybe down the road but I don’t see it happening.

DALE#3 04-13-2019 06:55 AM

When artist renderings of the C7 were dangled before me.I said WOW! Then the commercial came out,Holy Crap.
It was a Addiction.Visited the dealer very often to get my Fix.Had to have one.
Then the release of the Fat Ones.That was the game changer to go Brandy New!
This C8 doesn't even get blood flow to the unit..Nothing,Nada.A slight quiver when
the interior shot's were revealed that is all.This design will need certain colors to help with sales.The C7 Is a great car in any color.Still very pleased to have one.
The Warden sez:You better be happy,That's all your getting! Fine i'll take it

RBarnes 04-13-2019 07:12 AM

Picked up my '19 Grand Sport 2LT M7 in January of this year. Love it, love it, love it!

Personally, I will wait for the C8 to simmer a little longer before I take a serious look. Hopefully GM is releasing a car that breaks the mold where "first year" challenges are concerned. Time will tell.

To the brave of heart that jump right in? Best of luck!

:cheers:

V Vette 04-13-2019 07:14 AM

C8 no debate! :thumbs:

LuisZ51 04-13-2019 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Psychodo (Post 1599217654)
Just bought a C7, so not interested. In 3- 5 years, when the car is sorted out, I may take a look but it's not on my radar right now.

My thoughts exactly. I love where it's going and the potential it has but I need a few years to warm up to the fact that it's a whole different car now. Just bought my C7 last year so I'm going to continue with plans to supercharge it and enjoy the hell out of it for a few years. Once the C8 evolves a little I will most likely get into one.

dvilin 04-13-2019 08:08 AM

With having a M7 Z06 Convertible I am in the wait and see category. I definitely prefer a Manual transmission and a convertible. The C8 is rumored to not offer either so we shall see.

Psychodo 04-13-2019 08:09 AM

Was thinking that one thing that might get me moving quicker
..if they develop hybrid powertrain like the Porsche 918 etc for the C8.. now that would be something.
I dont see that happening since it would really break the vette mold but that would be pretty cool.

rrsperry 04-13-2019 08:13 AM

No two sets of golf clubs, no deal... It's simple, no matter how good the car is, it's got to be at least a little bit practical.

Walt White Coupe 04-13-2019 08:23 AM

I think it's great that we have something to look forward to. I'd never buy the first year of a new model so I'll be very happy to keep driving the C7 that I love until the third model year comes out. That's how I moved up from the C6 to C7 and it worked out perfectly. From what I've seen so far, I like it but time will tell.

Range_Rat 04-13-2019 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Psychodo (Post 1599217654)

Same here. I just do not see a reason for me to run right out and slam down 70-80 large just because it is new and different. As with any new product launch, there are bound to be at least a few assembly and quality/reliability issues --- most minor and (hopefully) only a few that need engineering review.

I will have no doubt that I will check out the C8 --- but, frankly, I am absolutely blown away with what I have now (16 Z06 M7).

direct007 04-13-2019 09:16 AM

I am deft interested in the C8 convertible. I love the C7 vert and decided to get a new one now and let things take their course with the C8. The minimum $15000 price difference, the chance that the first year car may have gremlins and the fact that no matter how good the first year C8 is, the 3rd year C8 will be even better and possibly discounted from list price all culminated into my decision to wait.