CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Cloudy chrome? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4263084-cloudy-chrome.html)

JimHarris4 04-14-2019 08:46 AM

Cloudy chrome?

I spent hours waxing and detailing my vert yesterday and accidentally dried my chrome rims with a rag that had Meguiar's spray wash and wax on it. Now parts of the rims look cloudy. Soapy water won't remove it.
Any ways to clean it off without damaging the chrome? Diluted vinegar?
Thanks.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...443cba0e41.jpg

Phanni 04-14-2019 09:03 AM

Unless someone chromed your wheels at some point, they are not chromed, they are polished aluminum
The thin spokes were not chromed at the factory.
It's likely you simply need some aluminum polish.

feeder82 04-14-2019 09:09 AM

Do you frequently use automatic car washes? The soaps they use sometimes contain acids that cloud. Especially the no touch washes.

01pewtervert 04-14-2019 09:17 AM

The polished aluminum wheels have a clear coat similar to your paint. Just wax them as you would the rest of your car. Unfortunately some haziness will occur after years of road grime and brake dust.

Edmund Iverson 04-14-2019 10:12 AM

Meguiar's wash soap shouldn't be strong enough to have done the clouding, it sounds exactly like what 01pewtervert said. You can try some Meguiars 205 polish, as you are dealing with clear coat, not bare aluminum. Jescar brand's "The Last Cut Compounding Glaze" is a great choice, as you can alter the amount of "cut" depending on the type of pad you're using to polish. And best of all, it leaves no dusting of the polish residue!

LTCHAPPA 04-14-2019 01:58 PM

Your wheels are the high polished thin spokes not chrome.Use a polish on them like a swirl remover. Most likely they are clear coated

Mayor111 04-14-2019 02:18 PM

How to bring back the polished shine:

1) Get Meguiars M205
2) Get TWO Mother's Cones (or one if you're willing to wash it)
3) Get a drill
4) Get a very soft towel or microfiber towel
5) Get Meguiars Carnauba Wax or Ceramic Wax

Attach the Mother's cone to your drill
Place a few dots of the M205 all around the cone
Massage the cone with the M205 around the wheel (so it doesn't splatter when you turn on the drill)
Work the cone all around the wheel
Let the M205 dry to a haze - go do all the wheels then come back to the first one
With the very soft towel or microfiber towel, wipe away the M205
Now with the 2nd cone (or a cleaned cone) repeat the same process with the Meguiars Wax
Let the Wax dry to a haze - go do all the wheels then come back to the first one
With the very soft towel or microfiber towel, wipe away the Wax

Should look brand new now...:thumbs:

Vetteman Jack 04-14-2019 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 01pewtervert (Post 1599223724)
The polished aluminum wheels have a clear coat similar to your paint. Just wax them as you would the rest of your car. Unfortunately some haziness will occur after years of road grime and brake dust.

:iagree: You can try a mild polish on the wheels and see if the cloudy areas clean up or not.

JimHarris4 04-14-2019 10:55 PM

Thanks but no

Thanks. Never have taken it to a car wash.
I enjoy the whole process of cleaning and waxing and detailing.

Originally Posted by feeder82 (Post 1599223686)
Do you frequently use automatic car washes? The soaps they use sometimes contain acids that cloud. Especially the no touch washes.

JimHarris4 04-15-2019 11:37 AM

Thank you

Thanks for the detail, Mayor!
I hadn't noticed the clouding before so I'm willing to work on it with your fix.

The amount of help on this site is always amazing.

[QUOTE=Mayor111;1599225377]How to bring back the polished shine:

JimHarris4 04-15-2019 11:38 AM

Thanks, Jack!

I appreciate your experience and willingness to help.

[QUOTE=Vetteman Jack;1599225771]