CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   OEM water hose clamps keep them or go with after market clamps? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4263110-oem-water-hose-clamps-keep-them-or-go-with-after-market-clamps.html)

boonie c4 04-14-2019 10:45 AM

OEM water hose clamps keep them or go with after market clamps?

I'm in the process of replacing my lower radiator support along with installing a new " ECP" all aluminum radiator in my 2012 G.S. Corvette and I wanted to know if you also replaced the OEM water hose clamps with the after market screw on type water hose clamps?
I like the fact that the OEM clamps create even pressure on the hose but their very difficult to remove and install, but the screw on hoses are much easier to remove and install, what do you say?
thanks boonie.

Barndog Buddha 04-14-2019 06:03 PM

Well I've had issues with the screw type clamps in the past. Now I only use new oem clamps no more problems.

RobLo 04-14-2019 06:24 PM

Had all the hoses and the water pump replaced awhile back by a well-respected local Vette mechanic, he re-used the OEM clamps. Said there was nothing wrong with them (he was right, no leaks) and they clamp better than the screw-on type. YMMV...

Dutch08 04-14-2019 06:27 PM

My 2-Cents ... cheap OE clamps are the best because they stay tight and seal all the way around, with the OE type clamp tool I think they are faster to remove and install (which are the reasons they are used by manufactures.)

These guys have an excellent write up of the problems with various hose clamps. Their clamps are the best, of course, but the write up is interesting.

Gates Power Grip SB Clamp

torquetube 04-15-2019 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by boonie c4 (Post 1599224175)
I'm in the process of replacing my lower radiator support along with installing a new " ECP" all aluminum radiator in my 2012 G.S. Corvette and I wanted to know if you also replaced the OEM water hose clamps with the after market screw on type water hose clamps?
I like the fact that the OEM clamps create even pressure on the hose but their very difficult to remove and install, but the screw on hoses are much easier to remove and install, what do you say?
thanks boonie.

Keep the good OEM clamps and get some hose clamp pliers.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4a766521e7.jpg

boonie c4 04-15-2019 06:34 AM

what's the name of this tool + where can it be purchased?

Spaceme1117 04-15-2019 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by boonie c4 (Post 1599228712)
what's the name of this tool + where can it be purchased?

Hose clamp pliers. Can be purchased at Autozone, Orielly's, Amazon, etc.

Spaceme1117 04-15-2019 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by boonie c4 (Post 1599224175)
thanks boonie.

The screw type clamps are okay as a temporary solution to a leaking hose. But they can cut into the hoses.

The OEM constant tension clamps are better. Typically, it you have a leak using the OEM clamps, it usually means your hoses are worn out and should be replaced.

The thing to realize about the OEM clamps is that sizing is essential so that they don't leak. I replaced my radiator in my 2011 GS with a DeWitts and I had a leak on the small hose on the passenger side at the top because the DeWitts nipple was slightly smaller than the factory connections. So the hose was slightly oversized and with the OEM clamp, I had a leak. I probably just need to replace the hose.

An alternative constant tension clamp are the type used on a lot of European vehicles. It is a one-use, pinch clamp but they hold great and have an OEM look. Tight-Seal Vibration-Resistant Pinch Clamps for Firm Hose and Tube

boonie c4 04-15-2019 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 (Post 1599228759)
The screw type clamps are okay as a temporary solution to a leaking hose. But they can cut into the hoses.

The OEM constant tension clamps are better. Typically, it you have a leak using the OEM clamps, it usually means your hoses are worn out and should be replaced.

The thing to realize about the OEM clamps is that sizing is essential so that they don't leak. I replaced my radiator in my 2011 GS with a DeWitts and I had a leak on the small hose on the passenger side at the top because the DeWitts nipple was slightly smaller than the factory connections. So the hose was slightly oversized and with the OEM clamp, I had a leak. I probably just need to replace the hose.

An alternative constant tension clamp are the type used on a lot of European vehicles. It is a one-use, pinch clamp but they hold great and have an OEM look. Tight-Seal Vibration-Resistant Pinch Clamps for Firm Hose and Tube

thanks I just purchased a set of hose clamp pliers off ebay, before the pic was posted I never knew that such a tool existed.
thanks for the info boonie