CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Battery woes! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4263146-battery-woes.html)

rwsinky 04-14-2019 12:44 PM

Battery woes!

I have a 2012 GS that I put a new AC Delco battery in the summer beofre last (2017). Thought I would keep it all GM. Went out to garage yesterday and nothing! I do keep a battery tender on it but it had not been connected for a couple days. Put my charger on it and within about 5 minutes the green light for complete charge came on and she started right up. This was on normal charge and not a hot shot. Pulled it out of garage to do some other stuff and an hour or so later when I went to put it away it was DOA again! I have cleaned all connections and it is on the charger again but I do not think it is taking the charge as the "Complete Charge" light is blinking, Are these batteries that bad? The original one lasted 5 years. I will return this one tomorrow. Suggestions for another brand?
Thanks,
Russ

2redvettez 04-14-2019 12:50 PM

Aggravation for sure...
INTERSTATE BATTERIES .. never have let me down...

farmington 04-14-2019 01:15 PM

Still have my original 7 year old Delco going strong.

captain vette 04-14-2019 01:46 PM

yes Interstate, if you are a Kyle Bush fan like me.

KB9GKC 04-14-2019 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2redvettez (Post 1599224855)
Aggravation for sure...

:iagree::iagree:

Jeff T. 04-14-2019 01:54 PM

My new Delco took a crap within 18 months of purchase. Chevy dealer swapped it for a new one no questions asked. I did have the receipt.

Bruze 04-14-2019 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by rwsinky (Post 1599224827)
I have a 2012 GS that I put a new AC Delco battery in the summer beofre last (2017). Thought I would keep it all GM. Went out to garage yesterday and nothing! I do keep a battery tender on it but it had not been connected for a couple days. Put my charger on it and within about 5 minutes the green light for complete charge came on and she started right up. This was on normal charge and not a hot shot. Pulled it out of garage to do some other stuff and an hour or so later when I went to put it away it was DOA again! I have cleaned all connections and it is on the charger again but I do not think it is taking the charge as the "Complete Charge" light is blinking, Are these batteries that bad? The original one lasted 5 years. I will return this one tomorrow. Suggestions for another brand?
Thanks,
Russ

I wouldn't switch brands thinking that was the problem (although ANY brand can have the occasional faulty item) -- there is likely something else going on. "Cleaned all connections," does that include the other ends of both battery cables? :confused:

If so then the next step, have the battery load-tested. :)

Welker1 04-14-2019 02:58 PM

Have had a Delco in mine for going on 5 years now, it's not the brand; as someone else has already said, there is something else going on here. First thing I would do is have battery load tested; the battery may have gone bad (can happen with any brand). If it's not bad. I'dchaeck all connections and start looking for a possible drain.

Mike Green9 04-14-2019 03:34 PM

My '08 has the original Delco battery in it - 11 years and still running strong. So I obviously like Delco batteries.

In my past experience in other vehicles, Delco batteries lasted at last 5 years of heavy use.

I do like Interstate batteries as well. Interstate Batteries, is a privately owned company that markets automotive batteries manufactured by Exide Technologies, Johnson Controls and others through independent distributors. I believe that Johnson Controls makes the Delco batteries.

Is your charging system working properly? With the engine running, you should be reading 14.2 volts across the battery terminals.

After 11 years I have decided to be safe. I have just purchased an ACDelco AGM replacement battery. I put an AGM battery in my GMC 1/2 ton, and I like it. I won't be buying and more lead/acid batteries.

M...

rwsinky 04-14-2019 04:04 PM

Thanks for the replies! I hooked the battery up after it was on charge for about 4 hours so I could open the door and get the receipt from the glove box. Bought it in Sep of 17 so not even 2 years old. Will return it to dealer tomorrow and if they do not work with me then I will find another brand. BTW, it would still not turn the engine over.!
Thanks all,
Russ

windyC6 04-14-2019 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bruze (Post 1599225225)
I wouldn't switch brands thinking that was the problem (although ANY brand can have the occasional faulty item) -- there is likely something else going on. "Cleaned all connections," does that include the other ends of both battery cables? :confused:

If so then the next step, have the battery load-tested. :)

:iagree:....And keep this in mind......The Interstate battery you buy today could have worn the AC Delco brand name before it was revamped at the Interstate factory....or vice-versa or even a lot of other battery brand names for that matter. (or at least a lot of the pieces).....LOL

John Harry 04-14-2019 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2redvettez (Post 1599224855)
Aggravation for sure...

I had a 6 month old Interstate crap out in my wife's Camry. Just luck of the draw.

449er 04-14-2019 04:51 PM

Any brand of battery can crap out at any time, I don't think that Delco is any better/worse than a Interstate or vise versa....its like buying oil...what oil is the best debate

rwsinky 04-15-2019 11:25 AM

OK, so I calleds dealer this morning and they had one in stock but he said they will have to test it and it might take 15 minutes. No problem so off I go with old battery and receipt. I get there and there is a different guy at counter and he says it could take up to 3 hours to test. He said he would call so I headed home. Got about halfway home and he calls and says it is bad and he has a new one for me. Took all of about 10 minutes to do that so I should have waited. Guarantee if I had waited it would have been 3 hours!!! Anyway, it is all good. New battery at no cost to me except time and it is in car and all is well. Thanks for the replies!!

Bob Paris 04-15-2019 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by John Harry (Post 1599226099)
I had a 6 month old Interstate crap out in my wife's Camry. Just luck of the draw.

luck of the DRAW [as in drawing power] - no pun intended

Bruze 04-15-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by rwsinky (Post 1599230067)
OK, so I calleds dealer this morning and they had one in stock but he said they will have to test it and it might take 15 minutes. No problem so off I go with old battery and receipt. I get there and there is a different guy at counter and he says it could take up to 3 hours to test. He said he would call so I headed home. Got about halfway home and he calls and says it is bad and he has a new one for me. Took all of about 10 minutes to do that so I should have waited. Guarantee if I had waited it would have been 3 hours!!! Anyway, it is all good. New battery at no cost to me except time and it is in car and all is well. Thanks for the replies!!

http://i63.tinypic.com/t6tahk.gif

Load testing a battery takes about 2 minutes.

EVRose 04-15-2019 01:46 PM

Mine is approaching 5 years old and still going strong! And who is it made by, Walmart (Johnson Controls), Yeah Baby!
:rock:
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...603715ae7b.jpg