CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [ZR1] Considering a 2010 3ZR (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4263376-considering-a-2010-3zr.html)

VetteVinnie 04-15-2019 12:47 AM

Considering a 2010 3ZR

I've located about four cars of interest within driving distance ranging from 8K miles to 32K miles on the ODO. It has been more than a few years since I sold my '08 Z06 and am about ready to make the plunge again. What should I watch out for aside from the dreaded vibration issue with the rotor imbalance? I'll be sure to give them the obligatory "shake down". Wife loves the C7s, but sadly they are too cramped on the interior for my size.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I'll look at one or two of them tomorrow and narrow them down by the end of the week. Or should I steer clear of them completely and wait for the C8s?

Thanks. :)

Bigjsn250 04-15-2019 11:01 AM

Check the clutch fluid, if it's black, Ranger method. If the Master Cylinder has not been changed take it to a dealership and tell them your clutch pedal has been sticking to the floor, there is a TSB on this and they will change it out for free. It will happen to you eventually if you do not do this.

Check the front splitter and side skirts for repairs and/or if they are original. These are around 1800.00 each to replace with real ones.

Check the dash, especially passenger side near windshield, you are looking for the leather pulling away from the dash.

Check the date code on the tires, low mile ZR1's tend to have old tires on them. No matter the thread depth, old tires are junk and dangerous.

Feel under the windshield wiper cowl near the corners of the blower. You are looking for holes drilled in the cowl. If the blower has been off (non-GM dealer work) it will most likely have holes drilled in the cowl for easier access to the two rear corner blower bolts.

Check the seal around the main wire harness (cuts, rips, tears) this is the most likely place for nitrous lines, wide band wires etc.

Check the shocks for any signs of leakage.

HVAC control unit going out if fairly common

Brake rotors, looks for chips around the edges and weigh them if you can, very very expensive to replace.

VetteVinnie 04-15-2019 12:48 PM

Excellent write-up. Thanks for the feedback! Some of those sound familiar.

captain vette 04-15-2019 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bigjsn250 (Post 1599229930)
Check the clutch fluid, if it's black, Ranger method. If the Master Cylinder has not been changed take it to a dealership and tell them your clutch pedal has been sticking to the floor, there is a TSB on this and they will change it out for free. It will happen to you eventually if you do not do this.

Check the front splitter and side skirts for repairs and/or if they are original. These are around 1800.00 each to replace with real ones.

Check the dash, especially passenger side near windshield, you are looking for the leather pulling away from the dash.

Check the date code on the tires, low mile ZR1's tend to have old tires on them. No matter the thread depth, old tires are junk and dangerous.

Feel under the windshield wiper cowl near the corners of the blower. You are looking for holes drilled in the cowl. If the blower has been off (non-GM dealer work) it will most likely have holes drilled in the cowl for easier access to the two rear corner blower bolts.

Check the seal around the main wire harness (cuts, rips, tears) this is the most likely place for nitrous lines, wide band wires etc.

Brake rotors, looks for chips around the edges and weigh them if you can, very very expensive to replace.

very cool advices, does the clutch master cylinder issue apply to a 2011 GS. Thank you.

Dave Kemp 04-15-2019 06:54 PM

I just drove 7500 kms round trip for my 2010 ZR1 10,000 original miles on the car. What a great car. Front tires were original and rears were spun off. I put the Continental extreme contact sports all around. MUCH quieter than the run flats and they have tons of grip. The C6 is noticeably roomier inside than the C7's.

VetteVinnie 04-15-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Kemp (Post 1599233037)
I just drove 7500 kms round trip for my 2010 ZR1 10,000 original miles on the car. What a great car. Front tires were original and rears were spun off. I put the Continental extreme contact sports all around. MUCH quieter than the run flats and they have tons of grip. The C6 is noticeably roomier inside than the C7's.

I see you have a JSB. Well, I am now the proud owner of ZR1 #1300. :) Getting some last-minute things done to it before heading home to the stable. Everything checked out. Although I will need to replace the clutch fluid soon.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f63a0e05f0.jpg
2010 Corvette ZR1 3ZR - Side

MTPZ06 04-15-2019 07:10 PM

Very nice...congrats!

VetteVinnie 04-15-2019 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by MTPZ06 (Post 1599233162)
Very nice...congrats!

Thanks! :)

Dave Kemp 04-15-2019 08:40 PM

How do you know it's #1300. Are you looking at the last 6 of the vin? Guess what mine is?.... 1303.

VetteVinnie 04-16-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Kemp (Post 1599233727)
How do you know it's #1300. Are you looking at the last 6 of the vin? Guess what mine is?.... 1303.

Yes. That's how they are listed in the ZR1 registry on Corvette Action Center. But it doesn't look like anything about yours was ever updated after it left Kerbeck's lot.

Ours were built four days apart! Pretty cool. Who was your engine builder? It's not listed in the registry.

--Vince

SweetZO6 04-16-2019 08:49 AM

One way to stop dash rot is to get a clear UV protect shield installed on the windshield. It is installed like side window tint. 3M makes a superior product. The second, and most important feature of the shield, is safety. Having been an EMT years ago I got people out of wrecks that are covered in and or cut by windshield glass shards. The clear shield prevents or significantly reduces this from occurring. I have it on my ZR1, Dodge Hellcat and Ford Excursion. Food for thought.

Ed

VetteVinnie 04-16-2019 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by SweetZO6 (Post 1599235618)
One way to stop dash rot is to get a clear UV protect shield installed on the windshield. It is installed like side window tint. 3M makes a superior product. The second, and most important feature of the shield, is safety. Having been an EMT years ago I got people out of wrecks that are covered in and or cut by windshield glass shards. The clear shield prevents or significantly reduces this from occurring. I have it on my ZR1, Dodge Hellcat and Ford Excursion. Food for thought.

Ed

Funny you mention this. The car I picked up has side tint that probably won't pass inspection anyway (Harris County, TX), so my plan was to have the existing tint removed and to put ceramic tint back on it, including the clear ceramic on the windshield. Right now, the dash looks perfect, so this car has clearly been garaged most of its life. Even the carbon fiber looks perfect, which was surprising for a car that is almost 9 years old now.

Incidentally, does any one know Jim Walt? He was the second owner.

Dave Kemp 04-16-2019 10:20 AM

Very cool. I would like to learn more about my car's history. It's in absolutely beautiful shape. Whoever owned it before me took exceptionally good care of it.

RedZ4me 04-16-2019 11:18 AM

well...……...big congrats!! and smart move. You'll enjoy it !

Speedracer42 04-16-2019 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bigjsn250 (Post 1599229930)

Not to focus too heavily on one point, but a TSB is not a recall. For a dealer to replace something for free beyond base warranty it is because the item has been recalled or has a special warranty extension specific to whatever component had the issue. Can you be a little more clear on the master cyl issue you are referring to?

Dave Kemp 04-16-2019 02:16 PM

Wow that is cool. I'll look on the engine and see if I can find out. Does yours have one of these air boxes?
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cc42c45aa7.jpg
2010 ZR1

VetteVinnie 04-16-2019 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Kemp (Post 1599237663)
Wow that is cool. I'll look on the engine and see if I can find out. Does yours have one of these air boxes?

That's pretty nice. No, mine has aftermarket K&N, but I just found the second owner of my car and he still has the original chrome wheels, X-pipe and some of the catback. I'll ask if he has the airbox, too. It's unusual to be able to track down original components from a modified car, so I am excited. :)

God willing, this car will be with me until I am too feeble to drive it. I may get other Vettes down the road, but this one was a bucket-list item that is now fulfilled. :)

VetteVinnie 04-16-2019 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by RedZ4me (Post 1599236495)
well...……...big congrats!! and smart move. You'll enjoy it !

Thanks! I'm excited to get it. It's still at the shop, waiting on its pre-sale inspection, but I should have it home before the weekend. :)

Bigjsn250 04-16-2019 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Speedracer42 (Post 1599237543)
Not to focus too heavily on one point, but a TSB is not a recall. For a dealer to replace something for free beyond base warranty it is because the item has been recalled or has a special warranty extension specific to whatever component had the issue. Can you be a little more clear on the master cyl issue you are referring to?

https://gm.oemdtc.com/4335/clutch-ac...rolet-corvette

10 years or 120,000 miles from vehicle first being placed into service. All you 2009's and 2010's better to get to the dealership!

VetteVinnie 04-16-2019 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Kemp (Post 1599236129)
Very cool. I would like to learn more about my car's history. It's in absolutely beautiful shape. Whoever owned it before me took exceptionally good care of it.

I tracked down the second owner of mine thanks to Corvette Action Center's history, and it turns out he still has the original wheels and exhaust parts that came with the car. I am arranging to pick them up. It's good to know the owner history. You never know what you can find out. Not that these will be worth anything in 30 years, but you never know. :)

I did some research on the options and color combinations and discovered why it was so difficult to find a JSB car in Texas with low miles. See new signature.