CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Keep your C6 or go for a c7 or c8? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4263392-keep-your-c6-or-go-for-a-c7-or-c8.html)

JerriVette 04-15-2019 07:00 AM

Keep your C6 or go for a c7 or c8?

I'm sure most saw the announcement that the C8 will be revealed in July, along with the announcement of the last C7 being built in June. Huge 25 percent discounts are rumored for brand new c7s...

how many are interested in the rear mid engine C8, or are not interested, doing the wait and see thing, or keeping the C6? How many are interested in picking up a brand new 1LZ c7 z06 with 650 hp manual for 66 grand.?

88000x .75 = 66 grand

Thoughts?

will you keep your c6;or sell it for a brand new c7 z06 or grand sport or convertible? Or will you get a c8?

have you been waiting for the c8 as it is really a revolutionary change

many have been rumored to have been holding their c6 until the new corvette was totally revolutionized like this c8...

or will you if you prefer to buy preowned buy a preowned c7 or c8 down the road?

cadyshac 04-15-2019 07:18 AM

I have been watching C6 GS and will continue to do so. I want to see how the C8 affects everything, will C6 prices drop? Will used inventory increase as trade ins occur? Right now very good used C7's are not much more expensive than cherry C6 GS. I am not a fan of C7 styling but we all know it is an improved car over the C6. Another thing to consider is my insurance on my C6 is dirt cheap, what would it be on a C7?? IDK, have not checked that out, you can bet insurance on C8 will not be so cheap.

RichKiss 04-15-2019 07:33 AM

As long as my car keeps turning heads and runs I'm not interested in anything other than what I have. These damn cars keep getting more and more expensive and I don't drive mine enough to warrant having a new one anyway.

captain vette 04-15-2019 08:57 AM

The fact that the C8 is coming doesn’t changes anything for me about the C7 I don’t like it period.As for the C8 I’d like to consider one only if I can get a manual tranny My chances look thin for what I have reading

GM Owner 04-15-2019 09:40 AM

I am very proud of what I have , and plan to keep it . As I was watching Barrett - Jackson Auction this weekend , I thought about how most of us , including myself , are always ready to trade for the next new model . I am glad everyone is not that way or all of those classics would be in the junkyard .

BadAV 04-15-2019 10:01 AM

Keeping my C6 for the forseeable future. Won't own a C7 ever, so if/when I trade it will be C8 or future generation.

zoomzx11 04-15-2019 10:50 AM

I like the curves of a C6 but the C7 is a wonderful car.
For Chevy to make the C8 better than the C7 they have their work cut out for them.
The exotics with engines in the back seat were mildly interesting but the prices and service issues made them a rich guys toy.
Ferraris catching fire always made me laugh. Spend $300k on a car with a reputation to burn up.
Right now we have 50/50 weight distribution and all the horsepower anyone could want.
Do you make it better by putting the engine in the back seat?
Maybe Chevrolet listened to much to the pipe smoking tweed jacket crowd that wanted this for years?
In the meantime you go buy one and let us know how that goes.
I am afraid that your new car will spend much of its early life sitting in the Chevy dealers waiting for service and parts.

jimijam 04-15-2019 10:53 AM

I'll be getting a C10.

Short box, lowered, modern drive train, and four wheel disc brakes.

FAUEE 04-15-2019 11:04 AM

No interest in a mid engine c8. Maybe a c7 z06 or zr1, but probably not.

I'm more likely to go Supra or Viper next.

Mayor111 04-15-2019 11:53 AM

I think its obvious that in the C6 section, you will get "ALL HAIL THE C6" type answers...and similarly in the C7 section, you will get "THE C7 IS THE BEST VETTE EVER"...

So I think you may want to take the advice from someone who has owned both. I currently have a 2005 and I just sold (two weeks ago) a 2014 Z51.

Now Im certain, that since Im in the C6 section, Im going to get blasted for this statement - but its true. There is ZERO...and I mean ZERO comparison to the C6 to the C7...PERIOD. The C7 is superior in almost every way. Better leather, better performance, better steering, better handling, better looking, more advanced design and technology. Anyone who says the C6 is "better" than a C7 has NEVER owned a C7. Just driving around with your buddy in his C7, isn't the same as owning one. Now you may like the LOOKS of a C6 better than a C7 - that's 100% personal preference and no one can argue what you prefer - but no one can argue that the C7 is light years ahead of ALL previous generations...including the C6.

Jerri - If you can find a C7 that is within your budget and has the options that you want - dont hesitate - grab it - I promise you, in about 2 weeks you will send me a PM thanking me for this post...:thumbs:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5861401ee2.jpg

Oic0 04-15-2019 12:09 PM

In the range of stuff I can afford (low mile base models) the C6s were 30-50% cheaper. To me the C6 looks better (mostly from the rear) and I don't care much about luxury, so it wasn't a hard choice. I would have liked the better handling, but I can make some magic happen for far less than the price difference. Also, the insurance on my C6 is flipping $54 a month despite me totalling an expensive sport bike not long ago! I consider the car as a whole a screaming bargain.

919cw313 04-15-2019 12:22 PM

I like what I have, but I'd never say never about getting a C7-C8-C15, etc.

If anything, in my warped mind I'd rather have my Callaway C6 convertible AND a low miles C5 Z06 than one used C7 Z06.

Having a wife, a five year old kid, and dealing with shitty WA weather, a Corvette will not be a daily driver for me in the foreseeable future so the tech and creature comforts aren't very important to me. It's just a toy.

EVRGRN 04-15-2019 12:24 PM

Given rumors of various issues with the c8, I definitely wouldn't want a first year model.

Regardless, while the c8 will likely be a cool car, I'm not at all excited about it. I prefer the simplicity of the c6 over it and the c7.

If I left the c6 world (and decided to commit to a suitable toy car budget) I'd be looking at pre-2015 R8's or 997.2 Turbos before considering any model c7 or c8.

919cw313 04-15-2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by EVRGRN (Post 1599230477)
If I left the c6 world (and decided to commit to a suitable toy car budget) I'd be looking at pre-2015 R8's or 997.2 Turbos before considering any model c7 or c8.

I could go that way too...

MikeSVT04 04-15-2019 12:49 PM

I'm in need of a back seat, so I'll more than likely go zl1 1le or gt500 if they make a manual. Or I'll keep my c6 and pick up a mint terminator and have two cars.

The c7 does nothing for me, so that's out. I'm not into all this technology in my fun car. I like the car to beat me up and be unforgiving.

Rapid Fred 04-15-2019 01:01 PM

I always buy used, and when the bug bites it bites.

So, knowing the C8 was coming had little to do with my decision to begin pursuing a C7 in late December. By February I had sold my C6 and found a great deal on a Z51 2LT M7 C7.

Maybe waiting a few months would have saved a few bucks, but the C6 would have also suffered so I doubt the financial penalty on me was material.

As to the car — no regrets at all. The C7 really is a joy to drive. The interior, particularly the C4-like cockpit and supportive seats (I found one with alcantara-centered competition buckets) is light-years better IMO. Insurance cost went up very slightly, and only collision/comprehensive — less than expected given the much higher value of the car

I wonder if longer term the styling will become dated vs. the elegant C6, but right now I find the dramatic C7 to be much more attractive. From EVERY angle.

Ericm1949 04-15-2019 01:04 PM

I agree with Mayor111 above. I own both but I seem to find more reasons to drive the ‘13 rather than the ‘16. It just seems to be “more fun”.

Dutch08 04-15-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04 (Post 1599230620)
The c7 does nothing for me, so that's out. I'm not into all this technology in my fun car. I like the car to beat me up and be unforgiving.

:iagree: :withstupid: This might sound like a dumb statement to some people and it might have been meant sarcastically. But agree with this statement. I'll never buy a new 'vette to replace my 05 z51 mn6. It feels <sort of> old school, not too much electronics<barely>, and within my personal abilities to fix. This is exactly what I want out of my fun car.

Judgebull 04-15-2019 01:11 PM

Pick your....

I have been waiting on the mid-engine C8 ‘s for a long time. I will keep my C6 till about the 2021 and when the prices settle down an the bugs are out of the C 8’s I am all in... there will be a fire sale on the C7’s this summer and Fall... pick you poison guys... it’s gonna be a fun ride....

cgladish 04-15-2019 01:59 PM

with all of the focus on replacement of your C6, with a C7 or C8, does anyone have an interest in anything older?
I would be going the other direction on this. my first choice would be a C3 ( '68 - '72 ).
it was what I was looking at prior to the '09 I bought in 2017. at the time, for the $$$, it made sense for to go with the C6.
the occasional comment on the C6 vs C7 has been that, the C6 has less electronics. with that thought, why not go all of
the way, with no electronics ( or minimal best ).
the obvious reply would be the reliability of new(er) vs the older series, safer, better mileage, better ride.
but if you want a true(r) driving experience, wouldn't less be more in this case?
how better to test your abilities? as it is now, how far away from a driverless car are with a C6 and newer generations?
just a thought....