CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Nice Price, or Crack Pipe.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4263460-nice-price-or-crack-pipe.html)

Tom400CFI 04-15-2019 11:30 AM

Nice Price, or Crack Pipe....

Today's NPOCP on Jalopnik. I gave a NP. Good 'Vette Kart, Lemons or Chump car material, right there. :thumbs:

confab 04-15-2019 11:41 AM

I sometimes think C4 owners are the cheapest people I have ever encountered.. Except for the dodge guys. :D

Seattle is a gentrified area. There's a minimum amount you can expect to pay for anything that runs and you can drive home, (Probably 2K) corvette or otherwise. It is also 29 years old..

I don't think it is necessarily an unfair price.

Raidmagic 04-15-2019 11:51 AM

Fair enough priced in my opinion.

FAUEE 04-15-2019 12:01 PM

I'd say that's a nice price.

Tom400CFI 04-15-2019 01:32 PM

Well...get on there and cast a vote! :thumbs:

novaks47 04-15-2019 01:47 PM

Looks fair to me, given what nice ones go for. It would be worth it just as a parts car if nothing else.

pologreen1 04-15-2019 03:22 PM

For an entry level project car... I see serious damage. I say 2500 TOPS! If you inspect it and know what to look for you knock it way down. OR as usual realize you should have spent 5-7k on something better with good tires etc, etc.

I bought way nicer '89 for 4k 15ish years ago but high miles and mods.

Fiberbundle 04-16-2019 04:09 PM

I live in the Seattle area and just added a 1990 to my 1992. Advertised at $4900 with documents showing a professional rebuild on the engine with lunati cam, arp bolts, manley ss valves, etc plus balancing and machine work for $5700 3000 miles ago. G92 axle auto that needs interior work. $2200 and he threw in new slotted and drilled rotors, new in the box radio bezel, and a new rear window seal. Divorce forced sale. Runs perfectly so it is destined to become my track car.
Oh, and it had 4 nice Zenetti wheels with out of date tires. Lots of tread but I will not drive on 10 plus year old tires even if they do not show any cracks.
The deals are out there!

VikingTrad3r 04-17-2019 10:38 AM

crack pipe. $1500 tops and a sh**oad of work.

confab 04-17-2019 10:56 AM

If he can prove the trans work, that's a 1600 dollar problem taken care of..

Could be much more in a market like Seattle.

wedoo2 04-18-2019 09:20 AM

I usually don't care about pricing questions because everyone has an opinion just as they all have a nose. It's fun to vote on at that site, but it only goes so far. I've read through three or four this morning. concerning C4 pricing. I'm sorry, but 2,3,4000 bucks is not a lot of money this day and age for a running car. Especially a Corvette. You have to know that any car over 20 years old is going to take money, time and labor because that's the way it is. I always giggle when I read a response that suggests a buyer find a "better" car, with newer modifications, for several thousand dollars more, but is still 25 years old. Or get it and slam an LS in it. You'll see one of these posts every time.

I bought my 84 for $1500 knowing full well that it was going to be a process. And it has. Also into it for another $700 or so with more to come. If you don't want to work on them then don't buy one. Save up for a new one. And it's fools gold to think of these as an investment. I would instead invest in a Dave Ramsey book.

cv67 04-18-2019 10:17 AM

Dave would like that

confab 04-18-2019 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by wedoo2 (Post 1599247947)
I usually don't care about pricing questions because everyone has an opinion just as they all have a nose. It's fun to vote on at that site, but it only goes so far. I've read through three or four this morning. concerning C4 pricing. I'm sorry, but 2,3,4000 bucks is not a lot of money this day and age for a running car. Especially a Corvette. You have to know that any car over 20 years old is going to take money, time and labor because that's the way it is. I always giggle when I read a response that suggests a buyer find a "better" car, with newer modifications, for several thousand dollars more, but is still 25 years old.

:iagree:

Tom400CFI 04-18-2019 12:10 PM

:iagree: X2.

When you look at these cheap/beat 'Vettes there are (at least) two ways to look at it:
1. How much $$ it will take to "bring it back"
2. What you're actually getting for the money. LOOK AT THE CONTENT.

In the first scenario, ANY C4 that needs paint is basically "not worth it" b/c the purch+paint=more than the car will be worth. If you have to add upholstery, weather stripping and more, it's a no brainer: car isn't worth it.

But hold on a second now. If you're getting:
*A good running V8 engine
*A good trans
*Good frame with pretty killer suspension (even today)
*pretty great brakes
*a good diff
....that is quite a lot of content and potential performance that you're getting for the money. A LOT. Now, that didn't even count all the crap that you can sell of, and still have a running, fastish car, to offset your purchase price.

The car in the NPOCP above is borderline to me; it's an auto/D36. OTOH, it's a later car w/the better brakes, newer suspension....you could get your money back (and then some) on parting it alone, so....NP.

When I bought my 'Vette Kart, it was a wrecked 89 for $2k. Every body panel was damaged (even the roof was broken) and the interior was garbage. Was it worth $2k? Not from a restoration perspective...No way. But from a content perspective, it was totally worth it. I could have bought it and sold the engine, ZF6 and D44 and made money. What I DID do was buy it, sell electrical, trim parts, switch gear, etc...and paid for the car. I still have the TPI, ZF6 and D44 in a fun, rippin' package. Totally worth it. :thumbs:

pologreen1 04-18-2019 12:48 PM

Here is the thing guys... for those saying 4k is not a lot of money etc. 8k for an old c4 with new paint and who knows the prep work
like in another thread. Or a newer mustang GT?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...sModified=true

I'd take a 2005+ GT over ANY 80's vette, and maybe even the 90's depending on if the GT is modified.

Tom400CFI 04-18-2019 01:01 PM

"80's Vette", hands down. No e-throttle, and it's not a 3600lb porker w/poor vis out the back. No brainer.

Why don't you sell your 'Vette and get a '05+ GT? What's stopping you? Do it!

pologreen1 04-18-2019 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI (Post 1599249441)
"80's Vette", hands down. No e-throttle, and it's not a 3600lb porker w/poor vis out the back. No brainer.

Why don't you sell your 'Vette and get a '05+ GT? What's stopping you? Do it!

Haaa... Yeah right!

Way too much invested, much more fun than any stock or mildly modified c4 vette or mustang.

Trust me if the rustangs were plastic, weighed less, and could build good power from the 2005 years on I would consider.

Tom400CFI 04-18-2019 04:33 PM

Well then....you just answered your own question to post number 15. :thumbs:

pologreen1 04-18-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI (Post 1599250837)
Well then....you just answered your own question to post number 15. :thumbs:

Stock for stock I am saying mustang. I was just saying would nit sell my car to get either.

A vioer acr or something sure I would sell mine even if mine is more powerful.