CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Mouse getting into interior of a 96 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4263519-mouse-getting-into-interior-of-a-96-a.html)

LT4BUD 04-15-2019 01:52 PM

Mouse getting into interior of a 96

The car is in the garage, car doors closed. How does a mouse get into the interior?

How do I prevent it...….that is make it mouse proof?

Did the mouse somehow come thru the heating/AC system?

RapidC84B 04-15-2019 01:55 PM

Mice can flatten themselves and get into shockingly small gaps. Here's the easy stuff:

1. Put dryer sheets in the car: Under hood, in footwells, in rear trunk area.

2. Get a plug-in electronic rodent repellent.

3. Traditional mouse traps around car and near garage doors. Peanut butter works best.

I caught 3 mice this winter after finding some droppings in my C7. Granted I had the top out and window down as I was working on a harness bar install.

65Z01 04-15-2019 03:09 PM

Where are there any access points on a C4, save for possibly a broken air intake screen.

BLUE1972 04-15-2019 03:15 PM

Use a trap and peanut butter. They can fit through a 1/8 inch slot.

confab 04-15-2019 03:16 PM

Get a shop cat.. Seriously. It works.

Mine gets spiders, mice.. Even a bat.

LT4BUD 04-15-2019 08:07 PM

I caught him in a trap using a peanut on the passenger side floor.

JrRifleCoach 04-16-2019 01:40 AM

Mothballs. place them in small plastic bags at each tire, under the hood and in the interior.
Seal the bag and cut a slot so the scent slowly leaks out. Wont smell up the car but those critters hate what little they can smell..

:cheers:

Paul Workman 04-16-2019 07:49 AM

Boy, can I appreciate your dilemma. Two cars were disabled due to rodents getting to the wiring!

Now days I put fresh logs of "TOMCAT" bait scattered all around the periphery of the garage floor. Nothing I've tried before comes close to how well that stuff works!! I've done the dryer sheets stuffed under the plenum and in the cabin and heat vents, I've done the cinnamon oil on cotton balls, sticky traps...all failed.

I have heard that putting the car on jack stands with the jacks standing in a shallow baking pan filled with old motor oil works, But, the TOMCAT is easy to apply and too I can easily start the car and move it around in the winter if necessary. Justa thought/\.

bac22 04-16-2019 03:24 PM

I've tried the moth balls, dryer sheets, mouse repellent, voodoo mouse dolls, priest trained to perform exorcisms, the list goes on and on, the f'ing buggers once they find a home will put up with anything...they even used the bounce dryer sheets for the nest and nibbled on the damn moth balls.

End of the day good old snap trap and peanut butter!!! And keep them loaded and ready to snap even after taking the first one out...it seems once one finds its way in there is a scent trail for the others to continue following forever!

JrRifleCoach 04-16-2019 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by bac22 (Post 1599238019)
I've tried ......voodoo mouse dolls

You really had a mouse problem eh?

3D-Aircrew 04-16-2019 08:21 PM

bac22 04-17-2019 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach (Post 1599239402)
You really had a mouse problem eh?

Yeah, I had to store my car outside for winter, for years with no problem, then 1 winter they discovered the vette...and I had a nasty surprise come spring with smell and all my internal installation chewed up! One thing I learned is disassembling the interior of a 96 Vette is actually pretty easy, although not something I want do again.

But I kid not (other then the joking comments) I tried bounce dryer sheets, permanent spray, boxes of moth balls, and every other wives tale out there, but nothing stopped them...snap traps was the only thing. The only thing I have heard that works well is Fresh Cab, I have no real idea if it works, but I did use it this winter while storing the vette and it was mouse free all winter.

Now every October I put out snap traps right in the engine bay. I literally will take out 2-dozen before the traps stop snapping. I smarten up about 3 years ago and come November I now store the car in a storage unit for winter, but still put down some snap traps. To this point I haven't had a problem with them coming back.

On a different note, by friend tried the bucket of water and he had great results (pretty much what the youtube vid showed), may give that a shot this fall.

I've read that if one gets in they leave a scent trail for others going forward, I have to believe that, it's war every October with the damn things looking for winter nesting spots.

wedoo2 04-18-2019 10:22 AM

Cat

vette196 04-18-2019 10:46 AM

only thing I have heard that works well is Fresh Cab

what is this Cabbage?

Enderlin 04-21-2019 12:39 AM

Same problem - little devils ate the leather off my passenger seat!
Along the bottom of the doors are drain holes maybe 3/8 by 1".
Some wire screening and sheet metal screws covered those holes.
No more mice inside the Corvette since and it's been about two years now.
Best of luck!
:cheers::cheers:

81c3 04-21-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Workman (Post 1599235365)
Boy, can I appreciate your dilemma. Two cars were disabled due to rodents getting to the wiring!

Now days I put fresh logs of "TOMCAT" bait scattered all around the periphery of the garage floor. Nothing I've tried before comes close to how well that stuff works!! I've done the dryer sheets stuffed under the plenum and in the cabin and heat vents, I've done the cinnamon oil on cotton balls, sticky traps...all failed.

I have heard that putting the car on jack stands with the jacks standing in a shallow baking pan filled with old motor oil works, But, the TOMCAT is easy to apply and too I can easily start the car and move it around in the winter if necessary. Justa thought/\.

I concur.... Ive used these for years with great success.

RetroGuy 04-21-2019 10:23 AM

Best Prevention...

Originally Posted by LT4BUD (Post 1599231067)
The car is in the garage, car doors closed. How does a mouse get into the interior?

How do I prevent it...….that is make it mouse proof?

Enough said...

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ac4543c206.png

LT4BUD 04-21-2019 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Enderlin (Post 1599264477)
Same problem - little devils ate the leather off my passenger seat!
Along the bottom of the doors are drain holes maybe 3/8 by 1".
Some wire screening and sheet metal screws covered those holes.
No more mice inside the Corvette since and it's been about two years now.
Best of luck!

Thanks for this tip. I think I found these holes, one near the front and one near the rear.

These holes would allow a mouse to get inside the door, not good, but not to the inside of the car?

I think the screen is still a great idea!!

bac22 04-22-2019 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by vette196 (Post 1599248540)
only thing I have heard that works well is Fresh Cab

what is this Cabbage?

Enderlin 04-22-2019 01:16 PM

Yes, they can get into the doors through those drain holes, and i think they can then enter the cabin through those flexible, black rubber tubes that route wires from the doors to the dashboard. Maybe not, but that's my best guess.
Good luck!