CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Servicing mid engine (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4263544-servicing-mid-engine.html)

Old buckeye 04-15-2019 03:08 PM

Servicing mid engine

I wonder if it will be more difficult for Dealers to service or repair the mid engine C8 and at what expense?

Old Buckeye

Zora_Vette 04-15-2019 03:10 PM

Why are you asking this question?

Steven Beaver 04-15-2019 03:13 PM

why would it be? It's not like they invented some new technology. The engine is just in a different place

Zora_Vette 04-15-2019 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Beaver (Post 1599231637)
why would it be? It's not like they invented some new technology. The engine is just in a different place

Boomers only care about new technology when it comes to their AARP meeting.

Old buckeye 04-15-2019 03:16 PM

Because I have seen mechanics that appear to be challenged working on a C7 at GM dealerships. Why shouldn't I ask?

Steven Beaver - So its so simple?

Sailfun 04-15-2019 03:28 PM

I am going to guess you never owned a mid engined car. They almost always are more difficult to service sometimes to a extreme.

MikeG37 04-15-2019 03:33 PM

Some things will be more difficult, other things will be easier.

vetteLT193 04-15-2019 03:37 PM

The engine is sitting directly behind the seats which is directly behind the tallest part of the car. Maintenance will be a pain in the ass especially for a shade tree mechanic. A lot of items that used to be able to be serviced from the top of the car will have to be serviced underneath.

As an example to change the belt and belt tensioners on a Ferrari 360 it takes approx. 7 hours labor. On a front engine car this would take an hour taking your time while drinking a couple of beers.

nikic6 04-15-2019 03:40 PM

I own a 2018 Porsche Cayman. All service is very, very difficult. I have never even seen the engine.

1985 Vette 04-15-2019 03:41 PM

Old Buckeye is asking a VERY good question, that seems to be getting ignored. Will a mid engine Corvette require engine removal for spark plus? A $500 oil change? Chevrolet will eventually need to supply this information, as this will be a big consideration on whether I will ever buy a mid engine Vette.

Zaro Tundov 04-15-2019 03:44 PM

I spoke with a Corvette tech who's been to a few C8 training sessions and he says that since a few drain plugs are located behind a frame member you'll need to drop the engine just to change the oil.

Even new brake pads will require magnetic damper removal so they can be properly recalibrated to the new stopping force.

Unless you can afford about $12,000 of maintenance for every 15,000 miles then don't even think about buying a C8.

GOC 04-15-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1985 Vette (Post 1599231864)
Old Buckeye is asking a VERY good question, that seems to be getting ignored. Will a mid engine Corvette require engine removal for spark plus? A $500 oil change? Chevrolet will eventually need to supply this information, as this will be a big consideration on whether I will ever buy a mid engine Vette.

Yes, Old Buckeye asked a legitimate question. Unfortunately some always immediately take it as a knock on the C8 or technological advancement when someone asks/says anything that could possibly raise negative aspects about the C8 and it's mid engine platform.

Look, I'm very excited about the C8's arrival, but I'm also concerned and interested about the maintenance difficulty and its related costs, among other things. It doesn't have to be one or the other when it comes to supporting the C8 and having some concerns.

Old buckeye 04-15-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1985 Vette (Post 1599231864)

Thanks for your comment. We do not know at this time the price of the C8 but for some of us, before buying this car a person may want to consider the cost of service since some of us do have limits.

Zora - AARP cost money you know.

crusher1 04-15-2019 04:00 PM

I was kinda figuring this like Zaro said. :ack:

RapidC84B 04-15-2019 04:01 PM

^ He's being sarcastic FYI.

sunsalem 04-15-2019 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zora_Vette (Post 1599231625)
Why are you asking this question?

My thought as well.

Hey folks, Corvettes ACTUALLY DO come with warranties. :banghead:
No reason for an owner to give a rat's a$$ for years....

jcp911s 04-15-2019 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov (Post 1599231885)
I spoke with a Corvette tech who's been to a few C8 training sessions and he says that since a few drain plugs are located behind a frame member you'll need to drop the engine just to change the oil.

Even new brake pads will require magnetic damper removal so they can be properly recalibrated to the new stopping force.

Unless you can afford about $12,000 of maintenance for every 15,000 miles then don't even think about buying a C8.

I have it on good authority that the entire subframe has to be disassembled to replace the temperature sensor, and that because the engine is, essentially backward, all the spark plugs have reverse threads. And, yes, the engineers specifically required that the oil drain plug be located exactly in the middle of the frame-member to make it inaccessible for ham-fisted do it yourselfers. Finally, replacing the plutonium in the flux-capacitor requires a $10K EPA certification for each vehicle. Fortunately the FC is guaranteed for exactly 1 day after the bumper to bumper warranty expires, so if you flip the car every 3 years... no problems.

Steven Beaver 04-15-2019 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sailfun (Post 1599231770)
I am going to guess you never owned a mid engined car. They almost always are more difficult to service sometimes to a extreme.

Um yes yes I have probably more than you.

jefnvk 04-15-2019 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Old buckeye (Post 1599231670)
Because I have seen mechanics that appear to be challenged working on a C7 at GM dealerships. Why shouldn't I ask?

If you have a competent mechanic now, I have zero reason to believe that they won't be competent when the C8 comes out. If you have a klutz, well, I'd simply suggest finding a new one anyhow.

And while serviceability may not be a primary concern of supercar makers, who know owners are just going to have their car flatbedded to the dealer and sign whatever invoice they are handed for the oil change anyhow, I have little doubt GM won't have thought out items like oil changes.

Steven Beaver 04-15-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Old buckeye (Post 1599231687)
Steven Beaver - So its so simple?

the engine is in a different place that is it. I have owned a Cayman, Evora and a 4C. They charge a lot for service because they think they are "premium brands" but Chevy is not going to do that.