CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   3 bent rims on my C7 Z06! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4263588-3-bent-rims-on-my-c7-z06.html)

golfbone 04-15-2019 05:01 PM

3 bent rims on my C7 Z06!

A few months ago I was losing air on a couple of tires on my 2016 Z06 vert. I had 15K so I replaced the tires. Still losing air. Was told I had a cracked rim.....replaced the cracked rim. Still losing air on another tire and then....after a month they figured out that this rim was cracked to so I replaced that one. Registered a complaint with GM then. Now....1 thousand miles later I took the car in for surface because it was making a funny noise at 50+ mph and the mechanic drove it and put in on a lift afterward and showed me that I had 3 bent rims. Car now has 17K miles. Called GM to register another complaint but my car is at the dealer and wondering if this is a widespread problem and what folks have done. I have hit no pot holes or bumps or anything and have no damaged tires. THis is my 4th Corvette and I've never had a bent rim on any of them before! I will not be able to deal with this problem much longer because I need a car I can rely on. Not sure what to do.

LarryFL 04-15-2019 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by golfbone (Post 1599232375)
A few months ago ...t my car is at the dealer and wondering if this is a widespread problem and what folks have done. I have hit no pot holes or bumps or anything and have no damaged tires. THis is my 4th Corvette and I've never had a bent rim on any of them before! I will not be able to deal with this problem much longer because I need a car I can rely on. Not sure what to do.

Do a title-only search of this forum for 'bent'. Then read, read, read. ;)

Larry M 04-15-2019 07:07 PM

Welcome to the club, hardly an exclusive club. Sorry for your troubles

tertiumquid 04-15-2019 07:55 PM

A few months ago I was losing air on a couple of tires on my 2016 Z06 vert. I had 15K so I replaced the tires. Still losing air. Was told I had a cracked rim.....replaced the cracked rim. Still losing air on another tire and then....after a month they figured out that this rim was cracked to so I replaced that one. Registered a complaint with GM then. Now....1 thousand miles later I took the car in for surface because it was making a funny noise at 50+ mph and the mechanic drove it and put in on a lift afterward and showed me that I had 3 bent rims. Car now has 17K miles. Called GM to register another complaint but my car is at the dealer and wondering if this is a widespread problem and what folks have done. I have hit no pot holes or bumps or anything and have no damaged tires. THis is my 4th Corvette and I've never had a bent rim on any of them before! I will not be able to deal with this problem much longer because I need a car I can rely on. Not sure what to do.

When you read all the bent and cracked wheel threads as another poster has suggested you will find the only true answer to the problem is replace the OEM wheels with quality forged ones and ditch the run-flats for regular Continentals or equivalents. Unfortunately, this is a widespread and discouraging fact of life with these cars. There has been much discussion of this since last August when I posted the problem I had with my '16 ZO6 convertible. Turns out that owners have been discovering they had cracked and bent wheels and didn't even know it until the crack gets into the barrel and the leak starts.

BTW, GM doesn't care about the problem and will not formally acknowledge it. The cost and bad press makes it too high a price for them to pay.

Mikec7z 04-15-2019 09:53 PM

hello and welcome to the group.

If the c8 does not have forged wheels, we have a long line of people who swear they will become part time assassins targeting whoever it is who makes these amazing wheel choices for our 100,000 dollar cars.

If you would like to join the team, contact Sally, shes in charge of HR, she will get you signed in. Be patient, she is a little backed up at the moment.

tertiumquid 04-15-2019 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mikec7z (Post 1599234103)
hello and welcome to the group.

If the c8 does not have forged wheels, we have a long line of people who swear they will become part time assassins targeting whoever it is who makes these amazing wheel choices for our 100,000 dollar cars.

If you would like to join the team, contact Sally, shes in charge of HR, she will get you signed in. Be patient, she is a little backed up at the moment.

:iagree:

Thunder22 04-16-2019 10:21 AM

which wheels do you have on the car?

cyi1 04-16-2019 11:30 AM

OEM Z06 wheels are shit quality. It sucks and the only thing you can do is replace them or risk bending/cracking as long as you own your car.

golfbone 04-16-2019 01:11 PM

Who is Sally and how do I get in touch with her. Have no idea of what you are referring to with HR but want to do what i can to move the dial in the right direction. Have already lodged a complaint to GM

golfbone 04-16-2019 01:11 PM

I have the black Z06 wheels.

Mikec7z 04-16-2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by golfbone (Post 1599237287)
Who is Sally and how do I get in touch with her. Have no idea of what you are referring to with HR but want to do what i can to move the dial in the right direction. Have already lodged a complaint to GM

HR means human resources, in large organizations there is an HR person...

it was a joke implying there are so many of us mad about the wheels that we have an organization with so many members, sally is currently backed up.

NineVettes 04-16-2019 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by tertiumquid (Post 1599233434)
When you read all the bent and cracked wheel threads as another poster has suggested you will find the only true answer to the problem is replace the OEM wheels with quality forged ones and ditch the run-flats for regular Continentals or equivalents. Unfortunately, this is a widespread and discouraging fact of life with these cars. There has been much discussion of this since last August when I posted the problem I had with my '16 ZO6 convertible. Turns out that owners have been discovering they had cracked and bent wheels and didn't even know it until the crack gets into the barrel and the leak starts.

BTW, GM doesn't care about the problem and will not formally acknowledge it. The cost and bad press makes it too high a price for them to pay.

Already replaced one of my fronts (probably from a track day and hitting the apexes a little too hard) and I suspect left rear is slightly damaged. This is my 10th Vette and the only one I ever had problems with factory wheels on - and I used to be a regular track rat, not just occasional like now...

AZGASSER 04-16-2019 07:35 PM

I had a slow leak in a rear rim and when we took the wheel off to inspect it, it was cracked on the inside of the barrel. Replace the wheels as I had planned and 3 of the 4 were cracked. Not going to warranty them out as will most likely happen again. Now Forgelines with Toyos
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e21e40036.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...dcb60cc09.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...21376708c.jpeg

Zjoe6 04-16-2019 08:41 PM

Chevy might as well just have the Forgeline option. Save the extra step of moving the tires to new rims.

TBF 04-16-2019 09:13 PM

AZGASSER - tell us a little about the roads you drive on? How do you think the rims got bent?

spinkick 04-16-2019 09:14 PM

Don't forget to lodge a complaint with the NTSA as well. I think GM will only act on this when forced.

Mikec7z 04-16-2019 09:44 PM

its believed GM does this on purpose due the the recurring income of wheels and tires from chevy stores.

If you have to buy a new wheel and tire... are you really going to order the new tire somewhere else? You'll get it from the chevy store too.

They could offer forged rims, they could have a 4000 dollar up charge and we would pay it... but over the life of the car, GM makes more on wheels and tires when the cast rims fail. Those cast aluminum wheels cost GM under 100 dollars a wheel.... and ive heard even under 50 a wheel.

Then they sell for around a grand a piece. All profit.

S.FLA..Z06 04-16-2019 09:50 PM

I’ve quite a few story’s like this over the time I've owned , i live in S Fla temps are Hawt as Ballz and Roads for most part are Smoove like butter (Hoping not to jinx myself , knock on wood) but ive not had an issue and i beat the Snot outve my gurl !

I’d also like to hear about your Temp’s as well as you as your roads , im assume they are in A cold area and have w potholes! W decently low temps i can see a-lot of wheels bending!

If i was to lets say bend a wheel i certainly would not buy Oe i would get one Rep ata time if need be!
Save’s $$$Moohlah’s and who knows some reps are better than oe at timez!

My 0’02 cents

Neil

Deelo 11-14-2019 07:19 PM

3 bent rims on my c7 ZO6

I have same issue I got a lawyer I can give you info deelo1126 @yahoo.com just picked up my car today after 2 plus weeks they had it.