CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   First year C8 will be like GM’s other mid engine. 84 Fiero (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4263591-first-year-c8-will-be-like-gmis-other-mid-engine-84-fiero.html)

dizwiz24 04-15-2019 05:05 PM

First year C8 will be like GM’s other mid engine. 84 Fiero

See link to my thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...c-fiero-2.html

no way would i want one given GM’s history with mid engine sportscars!

esp . First year production

confab 04-15-2019 05:16 PM

They seem to have been moving in this direction for a while, what with the rear mounted trans from C5 on..

I just don't know that I want a mid engine sports car, period.

American hot rods are front engine, rear drive, and traditionally have been a little boxy.

Swoopy things with mid engines was a european fad.

But, I'm sure lot of people will love them. GM has a tendency to just throw everything out every now and then, and begin on a clean sheet of paper.

vader86 04-15-2019 05:22 PM

I wouldnt buy the first year of a new model anyway. This one will be radical enough of a change that I wouldnt touch it with a 10ft pole, thats why I went ahead and bought my C7

95LT1ZF 04-15-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by vader86 (Post 1599232487)
I wouldnt buy the first year of a new model anyway. This one will be radical enough of a change that I wouldnt touch it with a 10ft pole, thats why I went ahead and bought my C7

:iagree:

JerriVette 04-15-2019 08:58 PM

The c8 z51 fe4 will be epic.

dizwiz24 04-15-2019 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 95LT1ZF (Post 1599232828)
:iagree:

:iagree

heard theres already cooling issues

Y-bodluvr 04-15-2019 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by confab (Post 1599232455)
They
I just don't know that I want a mid engine sports car, period.

Swoopy things with mid engines was a european fad.

So cars like the R8, Huracan, and 488, you wouldn’t own and are just a European “fad?” three of the top sports cars today and are mid engined+DCT

confab 04-15-2019 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Y-bodluvr (Post 1599234072)
So cars like the R8, Huracan, and 488, you wouldn’t own and are just a European “fad?” three of the top sports cars today and are mid engined+DCT

Just not a fan I guess?

But I don't race.. None of this is important to me.

I'm sure the C8 will be popular regardless and I'm sure it will be a world class sports car. GM is known for tossing it all out every now and then, which is probably good.

But what I want is a front engine, rear drive, slightly boxy, distinctly American, car..

dkpnkc 04-15-2019 09:58 PM

I had a Fiat X1/9. Worst car I ever owned. But boy could it corner...

I'm wondering where the C7 will fit in the history books. I'm speculating that at some point it'll be considered the ugliest (but I'll admit I'm watching prices right now).

dizwiz24 04-15-2019 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Y-bodluvr (Post 1599234072)

my point is can GM build one correctly (without gremlins) ?

in the past the answer has been a big fat ‘no’.

84 fiero fires
the corvair (rear engine but whatever its behind the driver)

history has shown that GM cant build a mid engine car without issues.

was the 88 fiero gt a good car? Sure, but it took awhile to get the bugs worked out , after which gm abruptly cut the line.
Even so, the car always lost out to toyota mr2 in comparisons.

now, what is gm good at? Lots !
nobody has as good an independant rear wheel drive suspension as GM ! They have 60 yrs experience with it.

contrast that to ford where 03/04 mustang cobra owners happily swap to live axles to avoid twisting up the independant rears in those cars

confab 04-15-2019 10:35 PM

I drove a Fiero for a while.. Neat car.

Like a Jeep, you need to remember what you're driving at all times.

Not a mistake.. Just different.

Not mine.. I don't really want one.

JrRifleCoach 04-15-2019 10:52 PM

Like all the other first year models....... wait a few years.

FAUEE 04-15-2019 11:24 PM

I dont really care how good or bad it is. It isnt what i want in a corvette. So to me, it does not exist. They could sell 1 or a million, it has no importance to me.

Tom400CFI 04-15-2019 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by confab (Post 1599234388)
I drove a Fiero for a while.. Neat car.

I dated a girl that owned an '87 Fiero GT, 2.8/manual (4 speed?). I agree it was neat. Neat was all it was though. Really, I found the car quite frustrating, b/c the car could have been (and should have been)....AWESOME. That doesn't mean a "Vette beater"....but god damn...if they'd just fixed the front end, put a 5 speed in there, given it a little rear gear and the Quad 4 HO or the 3800....the thing would have been a real contender and a hoot to drive....not an "eh...almost".

confab 04-15-2019 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI (Post 1599234718)
I dated a girl that owned an '87 Fiero GT, 2.8/manual (4 speed?). I agree it was neat. Neat was all it was though. Really, I found the car quite frustrating, b/c the car could have been (and should have been)....AWESOME. That doesn't mean a "Vette beater"....but god damn...if they'd just fixed the front end, put a 5 speed in there, given it a little rear gear and the Quad 4 HO or the 3800....the thing would have been a real contender and a hoot to drive....not an "eh...almost".

My sister's car.. I did all the work on it, so I drove it a lot.

Exactly.. Neat but.. Meeeeh.

I don't even know if they could have done anything to get me to pay for one.

I drove a GT Mustang at the time and while the Fiero was different and fun, there was just no "there" there.

95tealconvert 04-16-2019 01:52 AM

Comparing a Fiero to a C8 is like saying GM was not capable of building the C7 before it came out because the 1984 C4 had so many issues. Get real the Fiero has nothing to do with the up coming C8. GM will knock the C8 out of the park-it will be better than the C7 and the C7 is awesome.

GM knows that it is reaching the edge on performance with the current platform and they also know what the younger guys are dreaming about and that is mid engine super cars.

The C8 will truly be "world class" at a price point that will keep the current mid engine builders up at night..

dizwiz24 04-16-2019 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by 95tealconvert (Post 1599234937)
Comparing a Fiero to a C8 is like saying GM was not capable of building the C7 before it came out because the 1984 C4 had so many issues. Get real the Fiero has nothing to do with the up coming C8. GM will knock the C8 out of the park-it will be better than the C7 and the C7 is awesome.

GM knows that it is reaching the edge on performance with the current platform and they also know what the younger guys are dreaming about and that is mid engine super cars.

The C8 will truly be "world class" at a price point that will keep the current mid engine builders up at night..

maybe true , but again i sure as heck would not want it in its first model year

this post is not unusual. Again, GM does not have a good track record with mid engine cars.

GM also has messed up first year models before (esp corvette).

a perfect storm may be brewing

FAUEE 04-16-2019 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by 95tealconvert (Post 1599234937)

GM isnt reaching the edge on performance with the C7, that's some bullshit that journalists made up. The C7 zr1 already outperforms all the midengine cara, the only car faster is a 300k+ rear engine Porsche. And it uses cheater race tires to set laps, not the stock tires it rides on.

I'm a young guy that GM is supposedly targeting. Do I dream about mid engine cars? Rarely, but sure. But not mid engine vettes, I dream about the brands, not the midengine. Heck my favorite Ferrari has the engine in the front! We dream about Lambos mor because they're mid engine, but because ALL WE CAN DO IS DREAM ABOUT THEM. Nothing about a midengine car is lost worthy, it's the price, the exoticness, the prestige that makes people lost after these cars. The insane styling, the crazy sounds, the looks and stares and ridiculous paint... people dream about a life where they have so much money they dont give a shit, not just a car with an engine in the middle.

You build Corvette as a budget Lambo, people will laugh because at that level, buying a budget anything means you're not as rich.

pacoW 04-16-2019 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1599232401)
See link to my thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...c-fiero-2.html

no way would i want one given GM’s history with mid engine sportscars!

esp . First year production

Yeah, I don't buy that. I truly believe GM learned their lesson and put in the time & effort to engineer and develop the car properly to avoid another corvair or fierro. Plus Corvette engineers > pontiac (now out of business) engineers.

confab 04-16-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1599235756)

...You build Corvette as a budget Lambo, people will laugh because at that level, buying a budget anything means you're not as rich.

Exactly.. It quietly huffs "Me too!" under its breath.

It's not a top end, Euro ride. It is the quintessential American sports car and it always has been.