CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Is this quote too much? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4263680-is-this-quote-too-much.html)

I got your ZO6 04-15-2019 09:09 PM

Is this quote too much?

So this seems absurd, called a local Corvette shop and they quoted me $450 to mount and balance some new to me tires on my ZO6. The guy I talked to said they charge 3 hours of labor to mount the tires but that is often takes them 4-5 hours to get all 4 done. This seem insane to me. He said they have the same problem with mounting C7Z tires as they do C6 ZR1 tires.

I called around to other tire shops but since my tires aren't brand new (Purchased off a forum member) that they are not allowed to mount them.

Is this quote correct or a complete ripoff?

runner61627 04-15-2019 09:22 PM

That’s 2 - 3 times what other tire shops would charge. Price is way high...

Avanti 04-15-2019 09:37 PM

Why, oh WHY are you messing with a dealer for tire work? If they are even remotely like all too many GM dealerships, I can only hope they know more about doing others' jobs than they all too often know about doing their own! :yesnod:

saleen556 04-15-2019 09:41 PM

Way too much. Take them to a tire shop. Discount tire has a great reputation. I’ve used Les Schwab here in Oregon for years with no issues as well.

dkpnkc 04-15-2019 09:41 PM

Find a performance shop. When I had a (at the time) newer C5 I bought the magnesium wheels from someone. Chevy dealer here wouldn't touch them. Went to a local performance wheel/tire shop and they did it for $100.00. That was in '04 so based on inflation that would be ~140 in todays dollars.

I got your ZO6 04-15-2019 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Avanti (Post 1599234019)
Why, oh WHY are you messing with a dealer for tire work? If they are even remotely like all too many GM dealerships, I can only hope they know more about doing others' jobs than they all too often know about doing their own! :yesnod:

This wasn't a dealer quote, it was a local Corvette specialty shop. Like I said I've called around to other tire shops and they won't install tires unless brand new. So, if this is a ripoff which it seems it is, I'll keep looking for someone else to do the work.

c54u 04-15-2019 09:47 PM

When you call around, ask the shop if they have this machine.....Hunter Revolution

Good luck

:cheers:

Zjoe6 04-15-2019 09:47 PM

These tires are way more difficult to mount than your normal tire. Be very careful who you have do it. They could trash your tires and even worse your rims. Lots of horror stories. Don't even trust Discount Tire unless you know other people with tires likes these who have used them with success. My local Discount Tire store tore the bead and has to buy me a new tire. They didn't have the touch less machine. What worked for me was a secialty tire and rim place that specialized in low profile tires. They did it perfectly.

Kracka 04-15-2019 09:59 PM

The last dealer I had mount C7 run-flats for me charged $20/tire and did a flawless job. I've since moved and the dealer here quoted me $8/tire; you read that correctly!

Bill Dearborn 04-15-2019 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by I got your ZO6 (Post 1599234050)
This wasn't a dealer quote, it was a local Corvette specialty shop. Like I said I've called around to other tire shops and they won't install tires unless brand new. So, if this is a ripoff which it seems it is, I'll keep looking for someone else to do the work.

It is a rip off. A shop with the proper equipment can mount the new style Corvette tires easily. Maybe you should try a shop that installs the big tires on the big truck wheels. I know when my dealer couldn't get a set of Michelin Cup2s to inflate on my wheels they sent them over to a truck specialty shop and the other shop had them back to them within an hour. Talk to your local Chevy Dealer and see if they will mount them for you.

As for the other shops I have never heard of any shop ever saying they wouldn't mount used tires. If it's some sort of bunghole liability issue it can be handled by the workers doing the tires and you tipping them. Some of the shops I have taken tires to will say they can't do such and such but will look into it if I leave the tire in the corner and come back later. When I come back later the tire is done and they ask me to throw a $20 at the guy who did whatever. No proof anything happened so no come back on them if things don't work out.

The stock Michelin ZPs can be mounted on the wheel but it is difficult to get the beads to seal. A lot of shops that don't have the proper equipment won't touch them and you really don't want them to touch them.

Bill

repo czar 04-15-2019 11:11 PM

Discount Tire did my four tires for $60. I bought the tires from them last year.

joemessman 04-16-2019 04:16 AM

It is insane! Everyone has different experiences, but Discount has always done mine with a hunter touchless machine and no issues. I guarantee they won't be charging hundreds of dollars.

Vetteman Jack 04-16-2019 07:12 AM

I have to agree with the others in this thread - $450 is nuts for mounting/balancing four tires. Hope you find someone to do the job that is more reasonable.

chefcg1 04-16-2019 07:42 AM

That’s crazy! Like others have said find a performance shop with the right machines. I paid $100 to have mine done when I switch tires from one set of rims to another. It was a local BMW/ Porsche service center.

dvilin 04-16-2019 08:27 AM

You could contact your local Corvette Club and ask them where you can get the tires mounted without any damage worries and a fair price.

Gearhead Jim 04-16-2019 11:49 AM

The Discount Tires nearest to me wanted an extra $100 to Road Force balance tires I was going to buy from them, in addition to the normal mounting charge. A different Discount Tires about 5 miles further away includes Road Force balancing as part of their normal mount & balance work, at least they do on Corvettes. And they charge the same price for the tires and misc work.

James Dean 04-16-2019 12:28 PM

I usually take my wheels and tires to Costco. They have the best machine and can do the magnesium wheels. Pretty good prices on tires but $10-$15 per tire if you bring your own.

Unfortunately Corvettes won't fit on their lifts most the time but it's not hard taking them out there.

Dealers can rarely refuse to work on a customer's car for something like tires or brakes, so they over charge to ensure it's worth it for them if on the unlikely chance you say yes but it's better than them saying no.

Rebel Yell 04-16-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by saleen556 (Post 1599234042)
Way too much. Take them to a tire shop. Discount tire has a great reputation. I’ve used Les Schwab here in Oregon for years with no issues as well.

:iagree: My local Discount Tire has the latest, and greatest equipment. And, they always take great care to do the job right. They installed a set of aftermarket rims on my '16, and only charged $125 to install and balance.

The Rabbi 04-16-2019 12:42 PM

A good place would be a shop that specializes in wheels.

z51vett 04-16-2019 08:33 PM

Discount tire did mine for under 150.00 but I had previously bought tires and found out my rims were bent so they changed them over to my new ZR1 wheels. Under 2 hours that’s with manager and I BS and jacking up car with my pucks
z51vett
Doug