CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Paint/Body (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body-138/)
-   -   How to clean bare fiberglass (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body/4263737-how-to-clean-bare-fiberglass.html)

RLD8T2019 04-16-2019 12:50 AM

How to clean bare fiberglass

I have inherited a 1964 Corvette that has been stripped to the fiberglass. Would like to know the best method to clean the fiberglass without damaging the fiberglass.

zr1fred 04-16-2019 01:05 AM

What are you trying to do? Water works well and will neutralize any residual stripper. Lacquer thinner or wax and grease remover will work on oils and stripper. Just make sure there has been enough time for any solvents or water to evaporate off completely before painting. None of the above mentioned will hurt 64 fiberglass.

Tuco 04-16-2019 01:11 AM

Pics or it didn't happen...:lurk:

Grzldvt1 04-16-2019 02:31 AM

Go to you local paint store and get their recommended prep for fiberglass. They won't steer you wrong. or buy Gyeon Q2M Prep,
I have used the Gyeon product and really like it, but Dupont's PrepSol or Finish Masters SMT623 Zero VOC Anti-Static Surface Cleaner work really well

Olustee bus 04-16-2019 06:46 AM

I had an oily substance on a door and I used MEK solvent to clean. Did good, Let evaporate. I washed it very well with dawn after that.

Murray Anderson 04-16-2019 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Olustee bus (Post 1599235193)
I had an oily substance on a door and I used MEK solvent to clean. Did good, Let evaporate. I washed it very well with dawn after that.

pics of Dawn?

ratflinger 04-16-2019 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by RLD8T2019 (Post 1599234875)
I have inherited a 1964 Corvette that has been stripped to the fiberglass. Would like to know the best method to clean the fiberglass without damaging the fiberglass.

Look here --> https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body-138/

You are looking for opinions from a member named DUB

Beware of the knuckleheads in OT, we are legion!

CurtP 04-16-2019 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson (Post 1599235201)
pics of Dawn?

Crack of Dawn.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...Q_700b.jpg&f=1

Z51JEFF 04-16-2019 07:31 AM

For starters I’d go with soap and water and go from there.

DUB 04-16-2019 08:58 AM

For what it is worth:

TIME is a factor....meaning...if you want it clean it and have TIME to allow it to dry out. Then washing it with DAWN and water can help greatly.

I am NEVER a fan of applying water on bare fiberglass due to I a generally do not have days and days to dry out the body to make sure the moisture content is low enough for me to perform any body repairs. So I use alternate methods to achieve an acceptable end result.

SO...as I wrote...if you have time to set the body out in the sun....then you can wash it with DAWN and rinse it very well. Do it a few times.

I also take a very good look at the body for any spotting.staining where grease or oil got on it, I prefer to use automotive grade lacquer thinner or acetone to wash this are off and see if the spotting goes away. I prefer these two products due to I have them in my shop all the time. MEK would also work if you have it. I do not keep it on hand so no need in me going out and buying it specifically for this purpose.

I have never been a fan of using wax and grease remover on bare fiberglass due to its properties of taking a good while to finally flash off even when wiped off ( depending on the brand you choose). I use it on primer. So...if the texture of the bare fiberglass is rough and can hold it....I know I would not use it due to it will lift off any oils but may put it right back down on the panel due to it NOT being smooth.....like primers generally is when it is being used.

Stained areas that still show up even after being cleaned will be to be repaired in another method due to the saturation is so deep in the fibers....that no washing/wiping method will get it totally out..

Lastly...and not attacking the people who work at paint and body supply stores. I know a few people who are really sharp and know many things about the products in the industry that I rely on. Generally these people are those who are working for the company of the product(s) that I use specifically in their tech department. Keep in mind that UNLESS the person who is behind the counter at a paint store has done fiberglass work for a living and had to deal with guaranteeing their work. Often times they do not have a clue on what REALLY works and will hold up over time.

DUB

RLD8T2019 04-16-2019 11:09 AM

Thank you so much for your quick replies! Heading out now to wash the car with Dawn.

427 Z 04-16-2019 07:55 PM

how do I get back to Off Topic :willy:

groundshaker 06-24-2019 03:59 AM

I have flown and cared for several show type planes and just plain water works fine for bugs if you do it relatively soon after flying.
Spray it on or soak a rag and run it down the leading edge. Give it a second to soak into the bug guts and then wipe it off with a soft rag.
Never heard of adding H2O2.
Do what we used to do when testing a new cleaner. Pour some in a bottle, cut a square of aluminum then suspend it in the solution for a month. Pull it out and see if it attacked the metal.