CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Z51 vs ZL1 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4264327-z51-vs-zl1.html)

LuisZ51 04-17-2019 07:01 PM

Z51 vs ZL1

Hey guys. I am kind of at a crossroads right now. I have only owned my 2017 Stingray Z51 coupe 2LT M7 for 3 and 1/2 months. Almost half that time has been spent at the dealer with one issue or another. Some issues I have discussed on here and some I have dealt with in silence. It has been a battle trying to get anything fixed as of now. I've had issues with the infotainment center, rough idle to where it almost shuts off, paint cracking and chipping off of the bumpers, rattles that seemed to double every time I fix one, overheating and most recently a whining noise and vibration when releasing the clutch.

I purchased the car for a really good price from a friend who is a manager at a Chevy dealer. I even had a hand in picking some options on this car when he ordered it. We always joked that I would buy it one day when he upgraded. Never really thought it would come true until he came at me with the price and to my surprise, I could actually afford it.

Anyways, I'm rambling at this point. I have come across another good deal imo. A 2017 Camaro ZL1 with the supercharged LT4 motor. This car is only 5 grand more than I paid for my Corvette. Something inside tells me to jump on this deal. But I also feel sadness thinking of getting rid of my dream car. And yes I know I'm asking this on a Corvette forum so go easy on me. Just figured I would get some opinions and maybe find people that have been in similar situations before. Thanks guys

punky 04-17-2019 07:08 PM

ZL1 is an awesome car and a profound performer. I am considering one currently as a hold over till the C8s are available and sensibly priced.

Corgidog1 04-17-2019 07:29 PM

A big step down in cache. Camaros are a dime a dozen and compared to mustangs while corvettes are compared to super cars. Plus the interior is day and nite between the 2.

SilverGhost 04-17-2019 07:59 PM

You apparently have a c7 built on the wrong end of the manufacturing bell curve. With your opinion of it now cemented, it is not going to start smelling like a rose tomorrow. Cut your losses and move on. But do your homework on the forums for the next car you are interested in to make sure you are not jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

falcon5619 04-17-2019 08:00 PM

The Camaro ZL1 is a very good car but a few things you should consider.

- While it has a lot more power it is also a lot heavier. In coupe trim is like 3900lbs vs ~3400lbs for the Z51 Stingray. The ZL1 is still the faster car but it may you will have to test drive them to see if it is still more "fun" to drive.
- In manual transmission the gearing in the ZL1 is a lot taller than in your Z51. Many complain about the 1st gear bog issue with the manual. I am not sure that would bother me as I don't drag race but some seem annoyed by it. If it is equipped with the A10 then that is probably the best transmission GM has available but I would be bored in a week.
- The low chopped roof line makes the Camaro look cool, it makes the visibility in the Camaro pretty bad. You will get used to it and it has all the blind spot and rear sensor aids but being able to see out of the Corvette is more enjoyable.
- While both the Corvette and Camaro depreciate, the Camaro tends to depreciate faster.

The Camaro ZL1 represents the best bang for the buck as it comes fully loaded with the LT4, Recaros, alcantara everywhere, custom interior lighting, heated/cooled seats, HUD, mag ride, NPP exhaust and a much better auto trans mission (A10). That said, I still picked a my Grand Sport Vert M7 over it when I was deciding. The GS just handles better, feels sportier and the shorter gearing is more fun to me on the street.

Zaphod B 04-17-2019 08:11 PM

Why are you asking the forum? Do what YOU want and enjoy the ride. :cheers:

Never justify any decision you make based on opinions on an auto enthusiast forum. :nono:

65fastback 04-17-2019 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by LuisZ51 (Post 1599245233)
Hey guys. I am kind of at a crossroads right now. I have only owned my 2017 Stingray Z51 coupe 2LT M7 for 3 and 1/2 months. Almost half that time has been spent at the dealer with one issue or another. Some issues I have discussed on here and some I have dealt with in silence. It has been a battle trying to get anything fixed as of now. I've had issues with the infotainment center, rough idle to where it almost shuts off, paint cracking and chipping off of the bumpers, rattles that seemed to double every time I fix one, overheating and most recently a whining noise and vibration when releasing the clutch.

I purchased the car for a really good price from a friend who is a manager at a Chevy dealer. I even had a hand in picking some options on this car when he ordered it. We always joked that I would buy it one day when he upgraded. Never really thought it would come true until he came at me with the price and to my surprise, I could actually afford it.

Anyways, I'm rambling at this point. I have come across another good deal imo. A 2017 Camaro ZL1 with the supercharged LT4 motor. This car is only 5 grand more than I paid for my Corvette. Something inside tells me to jump on this deal. But I also feel sadness thinking of getting rid of my dream car. And yes I know I'm asking this on a Corvette forum so go easy on me. Just figured I would get some opinions and maybe find people that have been in similar situations before. Thanks guys

I thought about this before i bought my Z51 and I did test drive a Zl1

The power is very exciting but for me at the end of the day i preferred the look of the C7 by far and even though its the slower car i enjoyed driving the c7 better. I also prefer the interior C7 styling over the camaro.

Suck's your having really bad luck with you C7.

TEST DRIVE that Zl1 as long as you can ....seat time is the ONLY way to tell.

LuisZ51 04-17-2019 10:09 PM

I think the only thing holding me back right now is the looks. Both inside and out the Vette is nicer.

Psychodo 04-17-2019 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by LuisZ51 (Post 1599246344)
I think the only thing holding me back right now is the looks. Both inside and out the Vette is nicer.

if you like the looks in/out of the corvette better are you really going to be satisfied with a Camaro? Or is it something just to get out of a bad car ? Any reason to not take advantage of the deals with new corvettes ?

Id imagine you’re going to take a beating selling the car after 3.5 months.. if you’re fine with that, then get what you really want

Kevin A Jones 04-17-2019 11:09 PM

Simple, do you want a sportscar or a muscle car? If you are more drawn towards muscle cars get the Camaro.

falcon5619 04-17-2019 11:12 PM

If the ZL1 didn't have the LT4 would you even be considering it over the Corvette?

LuisZ51 04-17-2019 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Psychodo (Post 1599246530)
if you like the looks in/out of the corvette better are you really going to be satisfied with a Camaro? Or is it something just to get out of a bad car ? Any reason to not take advantage of the deals with new corvettes ?

Id imagine you’re going to take a beating selling the car after 3.5 months.. if you’re fine with that, then get what you really want

That's what I'm debating right now whether or not I would be satisfied. The only reason I bought the C7 was because I had big HP plans for it. I already have a supercharger kit ready. But with all these issues I'm hesitant to install anything that would void my warranty. Not that they ever fix anything anyways. So if I can't build it how I want them I'm not satisfied with it either.
Even with the discounts new Vettes are way more then I want to spend. I paid just under 40k for my car. So I'm actually getting a couple Grand more in trade than I paid. The LT4 platform is very attractive. And every review and video I've watched so far says the ZL1 drives better.

saleen556 04-17-2019 11:19 PM

I’d get the ZL1. Sounds like a nice deal and you will enjoy the LT4.

owc6 04-17-2019 11:19 PM

Do you have rugrats?

That's the only reason I can see to do this. Teeny-tiny backseat suited for a two year old. Kind of like my 944 (back in the early 90s when my daughter was two).

myfunweecar 04-17-2019 11:20 PM

Could you lemon law the vette and get a replacement? If it really has been in the shop for 1/2 of the time, I think it qualifies as a lemon.

LuisZ51 04-17-2019 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by falcon5619 (Post 1599246655)
If the ZL1 didn't have the LT4 would you even be considering it over the Corvette?

Now that I've owned a Corvette no! But I was days away from purchasing a 2SS Camaro before my buddy offered me the Vette. I agreed to test drive it new year's. It was all over from there. I couldn't even consider the 2SS after that drive. But.... The ZL1 is a completely different machine.

LuisZ51 04-17-2019 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by owc6 (Post 1599246697)
Do you have rugrats?

That's the only reason I can see to do this. Teeny-tiny backseat suited for a two year old. Kind of like my 944 (back in the early 90s when my daughter was two).

I have 2 kids, 13 and 10. But I also have a crew cab and the wife's SUV for family duty. The back seat delete would be the first mod to the Camaro lol.

Originally Posted by myfunweecar (Post 1599246702)
Could you lemon law the vette and get a replacement? If it really has been in the shop for 1/2 of the time, I think it qualifies as a lemon.

I don't think it applies to used vehicles? Monday will make 2 months total time spent at the dealer.

rrepp 04-17-2019 11:27 PM

Seems like you bought a bad example of a Z51, as they are not typically in shop as much as yours has been. Perhaps your 'friend' knew something he didn't share with you? Have you considered a Z06? That seems like it fits your tastes better than the Camaro does. And it comes with the extra horsepower you're looking for as well. you'll have to shop some but you could probably find a good deal amongst the many used Z06's out there. Just a thought

Skid Row Joe 04-17-2019 11:35 PM

Somewhere, there's a Camaro forum, with your name on it....:crazy:

LuisZ51 04-17-2019 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by rrepp (Post 1599246727)
Seems like you bought a bad example of a Z51, as they are not typically in shop as much as yours has been. Perhaps your 'friend' knew something he didn't share with you? Have you considered a Z06? That seems like it fits your tastes better than the Camaro does. And it comes with the extra horsepower you're looking for as well. you'll have to shop some but you could probably find a good deal amongst the many used Z06's out there. Just a thought

Would love a Z06 but haven't found any in my price range. Not sure if he would really notice anything wrong like I do. He's 26 and on his 4th Vette. His knowledge on cars doesn't extend much past pumping gas.