CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   Got her home today (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4265345-got-her-home-today.html)

mmkkpro 04-20-2019 04:18 PM

Got her home today

Got my 1990 Z home today, have started cleaning her up, I think it's going to be OK, I know it's going to be a long road but I'm prepared. Probably going to have a lot of questions along the way. He gave me new starter, fuel pumps, clutch and all associated parts, after clean up going to prep her for first start, kinda nervous though.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...df055d746f.jpg
Door panel after wipe down with wet cloth. https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e0c2e4fcd8.jpg
After just water and cloth wipe down, it's got a couple places on the body that will have to be fixed, my neighbor does full restorations, he is going to paint it at some point.

Z51JEFF 04-20-2019 07:52 PM

Looks good already,I wouldn’t expect it to start without a complete fuel sustem rebuild.

1985 Corvette 04-20-2019 07:56 PM

Thank you for taking the road less traveled and working on it to get it back on the road. I look forward to tracking the progress.

ghlkal 04-20-2019 10:42 PM

I'm glad to see the Z being saved. It will be a lot of work, but worth it when you're done.

mmkkpro 04-21-2019 05:31 AM

Clues

I have found a couple of clues while cleaning the engine and engine compartment. Both horns are unplugged along with what I believe are front side marker lights. Does this sound like a Vats problem to you guys? Along with the no start problem the previous owner reported make me think the chip in the key may be dirty or contacts in the ign tumbler. I have the carped panel off under steering wheel to fix hood release latch, thinking of installing a resistor to defeat Vats. I live out in the boondocks and not really worried about it getting stolen. I thought I would build a loop with the resistor so as not to butcher anything. Now if I install said resistor di I still have to do away with the starter relay I been reading about or is that relay problem caused by Vats system?
And yes Z51 JEFF, as soon as I get her detailed I'm pulling the upper intake and installing all new/refurbished injectors for now 300 dollars VS 719 dollars, also blowing out fuel lines, new fuel filter, fuel pumps and cleaning the fuel tank. Might take a couple weeks I drive an hour to work work 10 hours and drive over an hour home so time in tight. Also the seller gave me the whole new clutch system but I'm going to wait about that until I know the engine runs with no knocks and such.
I really believe the original owner cared for this car, I found 3 quarts of Castrol full synthetic motor oil in the storage compartments yesterday, the oil on the dip stick is like new. I think the nephew of the original owner and the guy I bought it from maybe couldn't find the no start issue that's another reason I think it's the Vats system, I have found you start with simple things first never take anything for granted when working on cars. I got the original owners manual, electrical diagnostic manual and GM service manual also for this car,
What does the resistor thing sound like to you guys? Thanks to everyone for the help. 👍👍🏁

FASTAZU 04-21-2019 08:02 AM

Grats, keep us posted on your progress.

mmkkpro 04-21-2019 08:12 AM

Progress

I will, I'm going through all the new parts he gave me with the car. It's going to be an adventure!

billschroeder5842 04-21-2019 08:17 AM

Good luck with your new car!

I would tackle this car and not assume anything-- meaning put it back to factory spec, get it running well and then modify anything you like. Getting he car started will be easier if you follow some of the stickies on ZR1 Registry and look at Marc Haibecks site. The horns and lights unplugged don't sound like anything to me other than someone who unplugged the front light and horn--- that is not vats related.

mmkkpro 04-21-2019 08:26 AM

Vats

OK, thanks Bill, will do, got a ways to go before I even attempt a start, just taking my time, want to do it right, this Ole beast deserves some tlc and to be on the road where she belongs, thanks.

Z51JEFF 04-21-2019 03:03 PM

The resistor trick is one a lot of people have done to get around the VATS problem and the starter issue is independent of the VATS issue from what I understand. From what I’ve read the starter circuit was a poor design in the. 90-92 models and the starter relay mod helps to fix that. The unplugged horns could have been because the alarm kept going off for whatever reason. Something to think about,when the alarm goes off the horns blow and the car won’t start,the door switch might need to be looked at,the security light can help point you in the right direction,flashing/solid.

VikingTrad3r 04-22-2019 09:13 AM

subbed

ZR-1DUDE 04-24-2019 08:14 PM

Those unplugged connectors may be the underhood lamps.

D.