CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Ncrs (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4265712-ncrs.html)

mtbengel 04-21-2019 08:35 PM

Ncrs

I’m new the the Corvette scene with my recently purchased ‘57. This is my first classic car though I do have some experience with classic airplanes and motorcycles. As I look over the landscape it appears that the NRCS has great influence across a large part of classic Corvettedom. Personally, I can’t decide whether the NRCS a group of obsessive elitists with disproportionate influence over Corvette values; a force for good preserving the integrity our classics; or something else all together. I’d enjoy hearing your take on this.

Easy Rhino 04-21-2019 08:41 PM

It's both: the problem personalities are the obsessive elitists (and the environment that enables them) and the forces of good to preserve the state of the art.

The vast majority are good to great guys, the jerks are few but visible.

Don't concern yourself with them or their impact and enjoy!

C.T. 04-21-2019 08:44 PM

I've been a member forever. Great source of original equipment knowledge, and some really nice folks over there, but I don't get caught up in the personalty issues.

68hemi 04-21-2019 08:44 PM

NCRS type restored cars USED command a high price for top flight and higher awarded cars but not so much as they used to. The restomod craze has put a damper on those previous values. In fact some have even restomodded some previous top flight cars.

pop23235 04-21-2019 08:50 PM

If you did HOG you have an idea. Corporate “owned club” supported by members.. Members OK, club, egh.

Nowhere Man 04-21-2019 08:55 PM

They are one of oldest Corvette clubs with one goal in mind The preservation and restoration of all Corvettes to as how they where built. If you care about how original your car is or want to learn about it it’s a club for you.

Hermn59 04-21-2019 09:02 PM

If you are looking for a spectacular community with a wealth of knowledge with members willing to share, you found it on this forum. :cheers:

Frankie the Fink 04-21-2019 09:04 PM

Every "Flight" document the NCRS puts out goes to great lengths, in black and white, to decry the notion that their award process is somehow an indication of a car's value, over and over. The NCRS can't be responsible for the unintentional affect their judging system has on the classic Corvette market. As I said recently in another post the $40 (or whatever it is) annual fee gets you two monthly magazines with worthwhile articles, "club" parking at some events and discounts on some things... So, its worth it IMO even if you're not active.

There are some characters on the NCRS board but, yeah just ignore 'em. Some of the loudest mouths have never even had a car judged, but you can learn a bunch from the others...

Factoid 04-21-2019 09:22 PM

All groups of people have one thing in common, they are made up of the good, the bad and the ugly. Which you decide to interact with is a personal choice. Personally, I think the NCRS has done a HUGE service to Corvette owners and we should all feel fortunate for their contributions. As for the bad and the ugly, ain’t nobody got time for that.

Wayne88 04-21-2019 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by mtbengel (Post 1599268171)
Personally, I can’t decide whether the NRCS a group of obsessive elitists with disproportionate influence over Corvette values; a force for good preserving the integrity our classics; or something else all together. I’d enjoy hearing your take on this.

I don't think the NCRS' mission is to pump up the value of old Corvettes, although a recent 'top flight' award will increase the value of one.
As far as 'obsessive' about originality? Look at this ad, and you be the judge. :crazy:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2e1b103e5d.jpg

SDVette 04-21-2019 09:32 PM

Sounds like you have a good read on it.
No doubt they have a wealth of knowledge and knowledgeable people.
The problem (for me) is when you start judging.. people then place a $$ value on the score.. politics are injected. Sometimes BIG politics.

For me the SACC (solid axle corvette club) was a better choice. Our motto: "We don't judge them, we drive them".

Welcome to the forum!
Fred

Tmichaelson 04-21-2019 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1599268283)
They are one of oldest Corvette clubs with one goal in mind The preservation and restoration of all Corvettes to as how they where built. If you care about how original your car is or want to learn about it it’s a club for you.

AGREE- They are the institutional memory to be carried into the future. If it weren’t for NCRS much documentation/information would be lost forever with passage of time.

fyreline 04-21-2019 09:51 PM

I belong to both the NCRS and the SACC, and thoroughly enjoy them both. Great people, great cars, and a wealth of knowledge as to what is "correct" for these cars. How important that is to you is your own decision. And yes, there are a few jerks in the NCRS, but most of us know who they are and it won't take you long to find out, either. Ignore them. Enjoy your car. Ask your questions. Odds are, someone will be able to help.

desertpilgrim 04-21-2019 09:56 PM

If you "recently purchased" a '57, the $$ for NCRS & SACC dues for both will be $$ well spent, as will attendance at both organization's events. I'm a 3 digit membership # in both, and just like the Boy Scouts and EVERY "organization" on earth, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly belong. Get active and decide for yourself it's $$$ spent that you will not regret.

BWT 04-21-2019 10:56 PM

If you are interested in originality, and a wealth of knowledge from people that have owned the cars, and some even built and designed, then join. As with any club or forum, there may be some that rub you the wrong way. They are the minority. Vast knowledge and experience awaits with NCRS.

Geralds57 04-22-2019 12:52 AM

Ok, I want to see the 57 now. Pics please. :thumbs:

tomy62 04-22-2019 12:53 AM

While my car is nice, it is not an ncrs candidate. I knew that when I bought it. But being a member of ncrs since before I bought it has taught me a whole lot about the marque. The folks who do the research and compile the books seem to usually get it right. My hat is off to them. I cannot speak to specific personalities really. The few I have met are good guys. I have been around other car clubs long enough to know there have to be “a few”.

jimgessner 04-22-2019 04:26 AM

Like ''Desert Pilgrim'', we go back to the beginning in 1976. The club was founded in 1974. When I joined I owned a 65 fuel injection coupe and a 62 fuel injection 2 top ''drag race'' special. Neither were accepted into NCRS yet, but I wanted to learn all I could about these projects. Hell, I had $1500 invested in the 65, and traded a 64 Chevy convertible for the 62.

I had no idea of what a TRIM TAG was..........or how to identify a former fuel injection car, as both were missing their original motors and injectors.

I loved Road Racing, and learned in time the history of racing CORVETTES was exciting. This hobby took me across America to the best Corvette events [ NCRS Regional and National Conventions, BLOOMINGTON and CORVETTES at CARLISLE ] annually where I have met the best friends of my lifetime.

Since the beginning, I have owned nine 1957 Corvettes, and over 80 of other models. I wish you luck with your 57. Tell me about it please.......all the history. You will be surprised, we few 57 freaks may know the car and can ''help'' you with history and restoration questions.

1963GrayGray 04-22-2019 06:59 AM

It is long time members like Jim and Loren that make NCRS worth belonging to. They have spent decades preserving history
of the cars that we all love. Give NCRS a try. I think that you may be pleased with the experience.
Dave Gray
# 3627

Spowell637 04-22-2019 08:13 AM

I recently joined NCRS in February. Early this month I attended a MAC Restorer's event at ZIP Corvette Products. I was amazed at the technical knowledge of the participants as well as the things I learned about my car, a 66 roadster, just listening to the judging, . My questions were answered with sincerity and friendliness. If the MAC folks are indicative of NCRS I think your time with them will be well spent.