CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Blackfire SiO2 or zaino CS (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/4266322-blackfire-sio2-or-zaino-cs.html)

electricfish 04-23-2019 04:22 PM

Blackfire SiO2 or zaino CS

Which is better and does anyone wax over (or under ) either of these?

Thanks

vader86 04-23-2019 04:55 PM

Once I put down the BF SiO2 I saw no reason to wax over it.

FYRARMS 04-23-2019 05:04 PM

I agree with vader86. A spray sealant containing Si02 is used two ways. 1) As a stand-alone means of protection. That means you want clean paint with NO wax or polymer sealant on it. That is so the Si02 product can properly bond to the paint and can last as long as possible. 2) As a topper layer or "booster" for a standard Si02/ceramic base coating.

FYRARMS 04-23-2019 05:07 PM

I believe Zaino CS is a similar product to OPT Opti-Seal, which is a concentrated polymer spray sealant. Again, you don't want to put wax under these. You want clean bare paint.

Inferno24 04-24-2019 01:42 PM

I started using Blackfire last November right before I put the car away for the winter. I applied it to a clean, clayed car. Since taking my car out for the spring I have wiped it down with quick detailer on a few occasions. I am very pleased with the performance of Blackfire and the ease of use. This picture was taken right after I applied it back in November.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d48554b69f.jpg

Vette Ski 04-25-2019 06:46 PM

Inferno,
Looks great, like the car looks wet. I just purchased the Blackfire sealant and will be doing it sometime in the near future.

I do have a question though. I have some swirls on my black GS. I do plan first on claying, then buffing with blackfire one step. Can I use the sealant after I buff with the Blackfire AIO then go directly to the sealant process ??
Thanks,
Rich

vader86 04-26-2019 08:01 AM

Yes you don't have to do anything else before spraying it on the paint.

Vette Ski 04-26-2019 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by vader86 (Post 1599294309)
Yes you don't have to do anything else before spraying it on the paint.

Thank you,
I thought because the sealant requires removal of dirt, wax coatings, etc with the AIO having a paint protection built in, it would affect the sealants ability to work.
Thank you !! ( so much to learn about detailing at my age is mind boggling <:) )
Rich

FYRARMS 04-26-2019 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vette Ski (Post 1599294887)
with the AIO having a paint protection built in, it would affect the sealants ability to work.

Actually, you are correct, but I wouldn't worry about it. The spray sealant will be most durable when applied on clean paint with NO other sealants on the surface. That is because it can bond directly to the paint. However, most of these Si02 sprays contain other polymers in them that usually cross-link to the polymers in your AIO product. Think of the spray product as a sacrificial layer that will help lengthen the life of your base AIO application. Does that make sense?

Inferno24 04-27-2019 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Vette Ski (Post 1599292015)
Inferno,
Looks great, like the car looks wet. I just purchased the Blackfire sealant and will be doing it sometime in the near future.

I do have a question though. I have some swirls on my black GS. I do plan first on claying, then buffing with blackfire one step. Can I use the sealant after I buff with the Blackfire AIO then go directly to the sealant process ??
Thanks,
Rich

I'm not sure as I never tried the Blackfire AIO . I use the Blackfire SIO2 sealant only. From what I have read, the Blackfire AIO appears to aside from polishing also act as a sealant. If you use the SIO2 sealant I would suggest removing any swirls you have first. I have to say I am curious as to how well the AIO works for polishing and removing swirl.

Vette Ski 04-27-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1599298704)
Actually, you are correct, but I wouldn't worry about it. The spray sealant will be most durable when applied on clean paint with NO other sealants on the surface. That is because it can bond directly to the paint. However, most of these Si02 sprays contain other polymers in them that usually cross-link to the polymers in your AIO product. Think of the spray product as a sacrificial layer that will help lengthen the life of your base AIO application. Does that make sense?

Since you put it that way :willy:, yes :D, says the man who has hand polished and waxed for the last 55 years ! Now I have 2 weapons (Griots RO 6" and G 21 and will be aiming them at my $72 grand beauty )
Thank you for for your insight !
Rich

FYRARMS 04-27-2019 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vette Ski (Post 1599300752)
Now I have 2 weapons (Griots RO 6" and G 21 and will be aiming them at my $72 grand beauty )

I am jealous! Those Griot's polishers are very nice. :cheers:

I may pick up a Griot's 6" and sell my Porter Cable setup to a friend.